Quantcast

new notebook??

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Hi,
i'm a mech engineering student and i only have a laptop. currently it is an hp pavillion with 1gb of ram, a pentium4 3.2Ghz, 17" widescreen, and an ati X600 mobile with 256mb of ram.
right now i ve been using this one for a year and 3 months. it s a very strong notebook but not very portable, since it s over 3kg, it s noicy, gets really hot and the battery only lasts 1.5h...when i bought it...now it s noicier and the battery is dead.
i will keep it as a desktop pc, cause it s not worth selling it.
in a few months if everything turns out good enough i will get enough money to get a new laptop....in the best of cases my budget will be around 3k and if not around 2k. i need a good graphics card to be able to run unigraphics cad nx4, matlab and mathematica on it. also some games. at least 15" of screen. 2gb of ram....and harddisk is not really a problem.....just over 80gb is allright. intel core duo also nice....and most importantly: light, long battery life and silent.
doing some research i found the macbook pro to fit my wishlist pretty closely. my question is how good it runs on windows?....i don t really need to use nx4 on the go, so if the macbook pro runs badly on windows i would only use nx4 on my current notebook at home.
so any feedback is appreciated.cheers

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The reason it hasn't gotten enough attention is because it's only been here for 12 hours, and the majority of those hours are when most of the U.S. (that is, the majority of this site) is sleeping - I deleted the Lounge thread.

I'm not sure I'd buy a Mac if your primary intent is to run Windows. There are lots of lightweight laptops with long battery life that will cost less than the Macbook Pro and will run windows without having to deal with running it via Bootcamp and having possible support issues.

Your requirements seem like you want a big screen, lots of RAM, big hard drive, high performance processor and a high end video card for games. I have my doubts that you're going to find a lightweight, long battery life, silent machine with those kind of specs for $2k.

Have you considered buying a laptop that is simply functional for your portability needs, and complimenting it with a desktop that would have all the processing power?

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
well today i got my tax/insurance refund...so my budget will definately be around 3k.
i understand bv why u erased it..don t worry i won t hunt u down and kill u until u die.
i really couldn t make use of a desktop....i'm almost all the time out at the uni or somewhere else and when i get home i just want to do nothing productive. so what would u recommend with the specs i mentioned if i had a 3k budget...besides the macbook pro.