Quantcast

New old bike.

Antennas

Chimp
Apr 2, 2019
NY
I'm planning on riding this year after a long break. Majority will be at bike parks around the northeast. I'm trying to figure out what to do for a bike before the season starts.

I will be mostly hitting the jump trails so I don't need a full DH bike. I prefer to jump and pop off things rather than try to plow through.

I currently have a 17 year old sc bullit with a 888. It feels too squishy, tall, and heavy (i think its around 46lbs) to me. I'm not sure if I should swap out to a single crown fork and maybe get a shorter shock in the rear like the original bullit or just buy a new used bike.

I want to spend less than $1000. I was considering getting a Transition Bottlerocket I see a few around for under $1000. Is that a better idea? Is it a decent bike or was it just hyped up by kids as the cool bike at the time? Any other suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
your Bullit will have a straight head tube so getting a good new fork won't be easy.
To the contrary:

upload_2019-4-5_8-22-47.png

Not worth it though. A more modern used bike with more up to date geometry is going to be wayyyyyyyy better.

Antennas

Chimp
Apr 2, 2019
NY
your Bullit will have a straight head tube so getting a good new fork won't be easy.
I realize that. It's 1 1/8 straight. I would look for a used fork. I want to keep this cheap. I'm just not sure if it will change the feel of the bullit enough to be worth it or if I'm better off buying a sub $1000 used bike.

I'm aware of the pinkbike buy sell section.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I realize that. It's 1 1/8 straight. I would look for a used fork. I want to keep this cheap. I'm just not sure if it will change the feel of the bullit enough to be worth it or if I'm better off buying a sub $1000 used bike.

I'm aware of the pinkbike buy sell section.
the link i posted was for am/enduro bikes in the US priced $1000 or less.

something newer would be the route to go. 26" bikes are going for pennies on the dollar anymore.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
new used bike would be the way to go. if you can grab a 26" DH bike, that's what I would do. Run tubeless wheels and air suspension and you've got a lightweight ride with a lot of adjustment and reliability for a season of bike parking.

I have a GT fury which I'm really happy with but probably couldn't sell it for more than 1800, and it's got fully adjustable fox suspension, good wheels brakes tires and controls, but it's just dead compared to 29 or even 650b bikes. May as well brush the dust off it and ride it twice a year at this point....at least I can put it away without it falling apart!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
have a GT fury which I'm really happy with but probably couldn't sell it for more than 1800,
honestly i'd be surprised if any 26" dh bike would go for more than $1200. that's largely why i haven't sold my xprezo, i doubt i'd get more than that for it, even with a spare wheelset and like 4 extra sets of tires.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
man I hope that's not true...that being said, I really have no intention of getting rid of it. After trying the whole "one bike for both tasks" and realizing just how stupid that was, I'm keeping it around for the few shuttle days a year I get.

Antennas

Chimp
Apr 2, 2019
NY
new bike and more modern geometry will definitely be the better use of funds.
With $1000 budget I can't get a lot newer. I guess I'm looking for an older shorter travel bike that can handle bike park use but is a little more nimble or poppy than my heavy mush pile bullit. It seems like everyones bullit is

I found a few transition bottlerockets as new as 2012 for under $1000. I'm guessing it would be an improvement and fit more to my riding from what I've read. But it seems like it was the cool bike to have at the time so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

So bottlerocket? or any other suggestions for cheap bikes?

I don't need the newest whatever. I just want to get back on to the mountain. I could just ride the bullit but something a little more playful would be cool.

the link i posted was for am/enduro bikes in the US priced $1000 or less.

something newer would be the route to go. 26" bikes are going for pennies on the dollar anymore.
Ah, your link didn't work right it just brought me to the general buy sell page. Either way, I'm not sure which ones I should go with.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
With $1000 budget I can't get a lot newer. I guess I'm looking for an older shorter travel bike that can handle bike park use but is a little more nimble or poppy than my heavy mush pile bullit. It seems like everyones bullit is

I found a few transition bottlerockets as new as 2012 for under $1000. I'm guessing it would be an improvement and fit more to my riding from what I've read. But it seems like it was the cool bike to have at the time so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

So bottlerocket? or any other suggestions for cheap bikes?

I don't need the newest whatever. I just want to get back on to the mountain. I could just ride the bullit but something a little more playful would be cool.

Ah, your link didn't work right it just brought me to the general buy sell page. Either way, I'm not sure which ones I should go with.
if you're looking for something for bike parks, you'll want something enduro-ish. which bike parks to be exact? a number of us are from the northeast as well.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe find an old Transition TR250. Should be cheap and not really a full out DH bike, but will be still solid enough to not get beat to shit doing laps at a park.

Antennas

Chimp
Apr 2, 2019
NY
Windham and Plattekill are the 2 closest to me. Last time I was at Plattekill was probably at least 12 years ago. I didn't care for it much compared to Diablo/Mountain Creek. I really don't know what any of them are like today though.

I'm not one to bomb down rough sections so I think a DH bike is overkill. Besides the weight I dont like how much suspension the bullit has.

The jump trails and drops at Diablo were all pretty smooth you could hit it on a hardtail if you wanted to as I remember it.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
Windham and Plattekill are the 2 closest to me. Last time I was at Plattekill was probably at least 12 years ago. I didn't care for it much compared to Diablo/Mountain Creek. I really don't know what any of them are like today though.

I'm not one to bomb down rough sections so I think a DH bike is overkill. Besides the weight I dont like how much suspension the bullit has.

The jump trails and drops at Diablo were all pretty smooth you could hit it on a hardtail if you wanted to as I remember it.
Windham jump trail and flow trail are hardtail smooth
How many times are you planning on riding? Have you thought about just renting? They get new bikes every other year it's not like 12 years ago sketchy beat down rental bikes

Antennas

Chimp
Apr 2, 2019
NY
That's the complete opposite of what I'm looking for or anything I said. I already have a 7in travel dual crown bike.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
you’d be surprised at the differences in geometry and weight between those and your bullit.

but if you’re not gonna plow the rough stuff, sure, get a bottlerocket or an intense ss or a more recent trailbike.

Antennas

Chimp
Apr 2, 2019
NY
Windham jump trail and flow trail are hardtail smooth
How many times are you planning on riding? Have you thought about just renting? They get new bikes every other year it's not like 12 years ago sketchy beat down rental bikes
I prefer to have my own stuff. I have no interest in renting. I'd like to go as much as I can mountain creek is a drive so I can't go all the time. Windham is just over 30min though. It also looks like they only rent demo 8s.

Antennas

Chimp
Apr 2, 2019
NY
If bikes have improved wouldn't you need even less travel.

Long travel bikes with dual crown forks for smooth bike park trails makes no sense to me.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Count me as an old 26 DH rider. I have a 2015 turner DHR and a 12 Santa Cruz V10. I’m not racing anymore but have a blast at various Bike parks around the East Coast. I can’t see spending $5000 + on a downhill bike and ride it 12 to 15 times a year. Right now with two kids in private school a new bike isn’t in the cards.

Antennas

Chimp
Apr 2, 2019
NY
I'll ask a different question. What are some older bikes with less than 6in travel that have frames that will hold up?

A TR250 might work but definitely not with a boxxer or fox 40 up front.

If I had the money to buy a new bike I would probably look to get something like a shred dogg or transition scout.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'll ask a different question. What are some older bikes with less than 6in travel that have frames that will hold up?

A TR250 might work but definitely not with a boxxer or fox 40 up front.

If I had the money to buy a new bike I would probably look to get something like a shred dogg or transition scout.

I think that's the problem. A lot of older short travel bikes (there are exceptions) weren't built to withstand park lapping use.

You'd for sure crack Transition Scout using it like that.

And just because a bike has a dual crow fork doesn't mean it's a wallowing not fun pig.

Maybe look for a Specialized SX Trail or a Giant Reign .

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What about an older generation Scott Voltage, Rocky Mountain Switch or Intense SS2?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think what people are trying to say is that a good, well designed, lightweight DH bike is going to ride similarly and last longer than a single crown bike at the same cost. You could get a slopestyle bike which would be better on the jumps but worse everywhere else, but I think you're going to pay more for less with the bike that you want and have to repair it more often .

Antennas

Chimp
Apr 2, 2019
NY
I think that's the problem. A lot of older short travel bikes (there are exceptions) weren't built to withstand park lapping use.

You'd for sure crack Transition Scout using it like that.

And just because a bike has a dual crow fork doesn't mean it's a wallowing not fun pig.

Maybe look for a Specialized SX Trail or a Giant Reign .
You think smooth bike park jump trails would break a short-mid travel bike? I feel like DH and bike park are two different things. Does a bike somewhere between a 100mm 4x/jump bike and a 165mm trail enduro all mountain bike whatever it's called not exist?

On transitions site under the scout they have a video of it jumping and doing some drops. They shouldn't advertise riding that it isn't capable of.

That's kinda disappointing I was now considering a Banshee Spitfire.

This seems like a missing segment to me. There should be shorter travel bikes built as strong as a enduro/all mountain.

It's like going out to jump sand dunes but all you can buy is a lifted 4x4 instead of a dune buggy/sandrail. Or a trophy truck when you want a rally car.

Canfield Balance, a.k.a. the Shred Panzer. I have a nice M frame for sale. ;)
If I have to go that big it looks like a good option

are you looking for something *only* for bike parks? you could def find a proper DH bike in that budget.
To your previous question probably mountain creek mostly but Highland looks good too. I'll have to try Windham and Plattekill to see if I like it. I'm guessing 80% bike park (not real DH trails) and 20% trails. I have a hardtail also but my ankles don't agree with jumps or drops on it as much as they used to.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'd ride a Scout in the park. So long as you're a somewhat smooth rider, and remember it isn't a DH bike, and probably slow down a bit when off the smooth jump lines, it'll be awesome.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
One problem with the non SBG Scout is that the chainstay has a tendency to crack. Lots and lots of examples of it. Same with even the Patrol. My carbon Scout definitely had some issues after two seasons of riding. But it for sure a fun bike and for being so short on travel, is no slouch. If you dont mind the risk breaking a chainstay, then itll do what you want.

The Banshee Spitfire is an awesome bike. It's more than capable. I haven't researched the newest generation, but avoid the first gen bushing frames at all costs. The 2nd gen can crack at the down tube gussets; mine cracked and I believe someone else from here wrote theirs off. For what it's worth, even after having two Spirfires fail on my, I've purchased a Ruin to ride this year...

I also think park jump trails are still hard on bikes, no matter how smooth. Aren't those trails usually at quite high speeds, littered with little rocks, filled with break bumps and you'll push the bike to big landing (and cases). But maybe that's just from my experience on Quebec trails.

There are lots of bikes that fit your niche, now.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've only experienced one jump trail that wasnt hell on Earth via breaking bumps... Thunder mountains gronk. Everything else beats the piss out of you and your bike

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You think smooth bike park jump trails would break a short-mid travel bike? I feel like DH and bike park are two different things. Does a bike somewhere between a 100mm 4x/jump bike and a 165mm trail enduro all mountain bike whatever it's called not exist?

On transitions site under the scout they have a video of it jumping and doing some drops. They shouldn't advertise riding that it isn't capable of.
Those bikes are plenty capable hey. Sure they cracked (I broke mine) but so did the Patrols. The new SBG alloy models seem to be beefed up in all the problem areas though. The added weight - and there is a lot of it - might take away from the XC capabilities of the Scout, but should make them more durable. I put my old one through some pretty stupid shit before it cracked - I wouldn't hesitate to do the same or worse to the new version.

The videos on the Transition site are a pretty good setpoint for what that bike can do. You'll notuce though, that the don't really show it smashing through rock gardens. It does only have 125-130mm travel in the end. You will feel bumps a lot more.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've only experienced one jump trail that wasnt hell on Earth via breaking bumps... Thunder mountains gronk. Everything else beats the piss out of you and your bike
Good point, jump trails seem like magnets for the worst corrugations and braking bumps. Short travel bikes will be bone jarring after a few laps.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Ya want a short travel enduro, or a sturdy trail bike.....
They are slack and low these days.
Look at a mach 6 or a firebird 27.5
A bronson could work, so could a 5010
A nomad 3 could work
Not up on the yeti models but im sure many would work
A few friends have patrols and love them
A few friends have divinci spartans and love them
A banshee spitfire is almost exactly what your looking for
A banshee darkside and a set of 40, and a 36 would be bad ass multi use

Literally tons of options man

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Ya want a short travel enduro, or a sturdy trail bike.....
They are slack and low these days.
Look at a mach 6 or a firebird 27.5
A bronson could work, so could a 5010
A nomad 3 could work
Not up on the yeti models but im sure many would work
A few friends have patrols and love them
A few friends have divinci spartans and love them
A banshee spitfire is almost exactly what your looking for
A banshee darkside and a set of 40, and a 36 would be bad ass multi use

Literally tons of options man
You are forgetting his budget...