Quantcast

New Old guy....first post

willierides

Chimp
Sep 22, 2008
Upstate Ny
Well, I used to ride a bit more than I do now (which is essentially none)...racing BMX, riding park, a little street, even less dirt jumping, some road biking and a lot of mountain biking (trail or "cross country"). Then I talked my wife into letting my son have a dirt bike and soon all my pedal bikes were colllecting dust.

I've been missing pedals. I moved out of town in January and this spring we built a motocross track at my house. I recently had a knee problem diagnosed and was told to ride a bicycle. So...I've kind of started riding my road and mtb again. A little. But I'm starting to get the fever all over again.

What I am really itching to do is to dust off my bmx bike. I have the land to build some jumps now and can start small and basically make whatever I want.

I sold my racing bikes a while ago...including my 24" cruiser. I still have a 20". It started life out as a Diamondback Mr. Lucky. I bought a cheap (Azonic) frame from Dan's that fit me better and built it up with the Mr. Lucky components. I still have a Volume Barcode frame in the attic that's never had a component on it.

I am a little nervouse that my little "park" bike may be too twitchy for me, even though I'm only about 5'5". What advice do you guys have for an old guy to get back into dirt jumping? Go with a long-frame 20"? Get some kind of 24" dirt jump frame?

I'm getting pretty stoked. Too bad it will be winter before I know it. I have a lot of things going on....like, where to build my jumps. Most of my land is pretty open. Woods would be better, eh? For keeping them from drying out?

I'm sure I'll be hanging out here more and more. Any other good links that anyone would recommend for info?

I'm jonesin' now......

willierides

Chimp
Sep 22, 2008
Upstate Ny
No "you'll break a hip" lecture? Ha ha. Thanks. I will do. I have gotten decent at building (and hitting) motocross jumps, but my dirt jump skills are non-existent. I do have a brother-in-law with a skid steer I can borrow to at least move some dirt to get started. I know shaping with a shovel is the way to go, but the more dirt I can move with power instead of by hand, the better.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
No "you'll break a hip" lecture? Ha ha. Thanks. I will do. I have gotten decent at building (and hitting) motocross jumps, but my dirt jump skills are non-existent. I do have a brother-in-law with a skid steer I can borrow to at least move some dirt to get started. I know shaping with a shovel is the way to go, but the more dirt I can move with power instead of by hand, the better.
I've spent the last 6 years building jumps. I've spent thousands of hours with a shovel, and countless hours with skid steers, bobcats, backhoes, building jumps.

Check me and my homie Kidwoos latest DJ project here The new spot

The quickest way to get some good trails started is with some machinery. Can't beat it.

Last edited:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
willie-

Welcome to Ridemonkey. Some real good folks on here and some of us a getting a little grey and old but still ride.

If you are in Upstate then look up Kelly Baker. Try the FBM site or he posts on VintageBMX.com a lot. I have a feeling a trip over to Baker's Acres will give you some good ideas.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
there are alot of options for 20'' and 24'' inch bikes
are you looking for a 24 cruiser or a 24 mtb dirtjump frame

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I would suggest 24" or even 26" wheels. Also, depends on your budget. Building up a 24" or 26" mtb will probably cost more. Check out the Tonic Fab Fall Guy and the Union Street Bikes Molly Maguire... very high quality 24" mtbmx frames (designed around a suspension fork).

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Cru nailed it.

24" mtbmx would be ideal, like this Union Street Molly Maguire:

Complete 24"s are a little hard to find....a build from scratch will cost a lot but it will be worth it.

but a real compact 26" mtbmx would be good too. watch for an ultra short chainstay length (i.e. back end) like the Eastern Nighttrain and Blackmarket .357, even the new line of Specialized P bikes.

peruse a long scroll through the 24" inches of love thread and you'll see what's goin on !
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128368

here's a vid too:
Union Street Bikes

Last edited:

willierides

Chimp
Sep 22, 2008
Upstate Ny
Thanks all for the input. Zach, those jumps and berms just blow my mind. Holy crap. Holy CRAP!

I know some folks that know the Bakers Ok, that sounds lame. But I know a bunch of kids that are serious riders and they all seem to know each other. Never been there, never met them, but have heard about Baker's Acres and seen pictures, vids, etc. I have been to FBM when they were in the basement of East Coast Terminal in Johnson City. I used to ride ECT. I miss that place. There is a small scene locally and I know where there are some dirt jumps. I just don't go there much because it's illegal. I used to ride mountain bikes with a guy that's kind of trying to drive the scene around here...actually he's my wife's cousin. I'll have to start riding with him again. Ha ha. One of my MX friends JUST bought a 20" bike. He's 38 and never ridden. I can see this getting out of hand!

I am leaning towards just riding my 20" for now and building a 24" as I can accumulate parts. I think it'll fit me better. I think I'll also start compiling parts and building up my Volume frame to see if I can entice my son back from the dark side (skateboarding).

There is a really small "park" near my house. Basically a fun box and a quarter pipe. I'm going to go there later today and dust off the 20......

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
willie - I totally know what you mean - some of the kids I ride with know those guys too. If I really wanted to (well, if I had the free time) I'd prolly be able to get up there. Not sure how far it is from you - I just figured since Kelly's starting to get in his 40's and is still kickin' ass he'd be a cool cat to meet up with. I think those guys ride the motor bikes up around there too.

Have fun at the park today - if you used to ride ECT, I'm sure the local park will be no problem.

Hawaii 1979

Chimp
Feb 10, 2008
willie,

Glad to hear about other "old" guys riding. 44 here. I struggled on a 20" when I started riding again. Then I traded a bunch of stuff I had for a 24" BADD cruiser. It made such a big difference for me. The 20 was just too twitchy for me and my lack of skills. I'm leaning towards getting a Blk Mrkt now. I am sure it will take the edge off my occasional bad landing. Please keep us posted on what you decide on. I always get psyched when I hear of older guys riding too!

jk

willierides

Chimp
Sep 22, 2008
Upstate Ny
Thanks! I already tweaked m'self a bit yesterday, but am up and around today. Went for an hour long, hilly road bike ride to work out some of the kinks and charlie-horses. I crashed pretty hard on pavement (park). I'm just stoked that nothing broke and that I'm not more lame than I am!

I am kind of stuck with what I have for now, but am VERY interested in a 24 or 26 trails bike. I am interested enough that I went to a couple LBS's yesterday to look around. Only thing I saw available so far was a Ruckus UF (GT? UF = "Urban Freeride" I think?).

Cash and time are in limited supply. I do have a little land, so I'm going to have to find a place for a small trail section here....time to get a couple more shovels and find some friends to help dig!