Quantcast

new orange bike?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Julien Camellini rode it last year in the World Cups. Not sure if it is a '09 proto or just a one-off.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Old proto. was supposed to be the 08 bike, but it had issues and wont be around before 09. It was not a one off. It allowed orange to get the pivot where they wanted it, instead of where the frame shape dictated.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Here's another pic of the Orange:

Looks better from this angle it seems... if it had more of a hydroformed toptube / seatmast joint that looked like the type from a 1st gen Demo 8, that would look pretty cool I think...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The new swingarm from the proto is on the evo, as well as the weird adjustable headtube, some lightening up, new dropouts, new rear spacing for better heel clearance and some cosmetic changes.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
so we should be seeing it around 09 or the 10 season?
It shouldn't take 2 years to get to production, its a single pivot, not much to it.

My guess is they are dropping the single pivot for some kind of virtual pivot point system........

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
It allowed orange to get the pivot where they wanted it, instead of where the frame shape dictated.
In my opinion, they should have just gone with that incredibly aesthetically-pleasing downtube that Rocky's using on their Flatline series.

Good god, that thing's ugly.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
In my opinion, they should have just gone with that incredibly aesthetically-pleasing downtube that Rocky's using on their Flatline series.

i think Rocky's going with the 'pre-worn, distressed' look that was popular with jeans a few years ago by offering a frame that looks like it has already been run over by a truck; so ugly, hope they got a good deal on that tubeset.

Heckled

Chimp
Feb 1, 2006
Old proto. was supposed to be the 08 bike, but it had issues and wont be around before 09. It was not a one off. It allowed orange to get the pivot where they wanted it, instead of where the frame shape dictated.
I thought that bike was made at the request of Chris Porter (Mojo) as he felt the pivot was better positioned there, and Orange had no further plans to continue with this pivot location. May be wrong thou! :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I thought that bike was made at the request of Chris Porter (Mojo) as he felt the pivot was better positioned there, and Orange had no further plans to continue with this pivot location. May be wrong thou! :)
It is wrong, sorry. Chris and Mojo had tons of input, but it was intended as a frame for 08 that didn't make it.

John P - holy toledo, that thing is ugly. The gold paint just ads to the garrishness.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland

Actually Rocky never produced that frame. Its an old GT STS that was proped up next to a heater and left for a few hours. Rocky just painted it.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
there's more to producing a bike than making the pivot points:poster_oops:
2 years is a ridiculous time frame for that bike. There is nothing that complicated, single pivot, couple of tubes and monoque swing arm, nothing revolutionary and all standardstuff for orange. I can't see why it would take 2 years to hit production unless there was something major in the works. Time will tell i guess.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
2 years is a ridiculous time frame for that bike. There is nothing that complicated, single pivot, couple of tubes and monoque swing arm, nothing revolutionary and all standardstuff for orange. I can't see why it would take 2 years to hit production unless there was something major in the works. Time will tell i guess.
So the FEA, race testing and major changes taking place to frame design don't take time. They can all be done in a few short weeks. Good to know.

I am happy you know the specifics of how this frame came to be, what was wrong with it, and what had to be fixed on it to make it work, as well as what the production schedule was for new bikes at orange.

Here's a hint - the race season ends in September, and the trade show is a week earlier than worlds. Changes that need to be made have to be done by late August in order to have a catalog bike built for the shoot and then trade show models. As of end of June (Mt Ste Anne), Julien was still NOT on this bike.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
The chain isn't even running through the top cage of the LG1 on that rocky! They're sick! They don't give a ****!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The chain isn't even running through the top cage of the LG1 on that rocky! They're sick! They don't give a ****!
It's a new trend, like a baseball trading card in your spokes. Great sound effects. You even get the added bonus of steam coming out of dw's ears like a cartoon.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Here's a hint - the race season ends in September, and the trade show is a week earlier than worlds. Changes that need to be made have to be done by late August in order to have a catalog bike built for the shoot and then trade show models. As of end of June (Mt Ste Anne), Julien was still NOT on this bike.
So the reason for the hold up is they want to get it in catalouges? Ha! thats so lame. Heaps of other companies release updated bikes through the year.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

heard someone bashing on the rocky ugly frame, just here to help out.

...and now back to the thread.
i hate to see the change of the downtube design on the orange; i've always thought the 222 (and related) frames were sexy. i understand the need for evolution though.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Turner & Santa Cruz have released mid year bikes as newer designs came about, plus there are probably others i can't think of right now.

And don't you orange fan boys get hissy-fitty at me, im not dissing orange, just saying the lead time was very long imo. But hey, what do i know, im just a dumb engineer.....

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Turner & Santa Cruz have released mid year bikes as newer designs came about, plus there are probably others i can't think of right now.

And don't you orange fan boys get hissy-fitty at me, im not dissing orange, just saying the lead time was very long imo. But hey, what do i know, im just a dumb engineer.....
yeah, that new V-10 was released really quick after the protoype was first spotted over a year ago. maybe that's why they are barely being delivered now?

how about intense? that m3 went right to market pretty fast, eh?

now imagine this: lets say that orange was a prototype (which it was) and lets imagine the slim chance that maybe it wasn't what they wanted as a final design despite their intentions to release it sooner. maybe it cracked, maybe they wanted to test different geometry, maybe they just like to get things right. Hmmmmmm, might they decide to go with what's proven this year and use another season to try to nail down a final design?

you might be an engineer. but that's hardly the same as being in charge of operating a small frame manufacturing business in a highly competitive niche market in one of the most expensive countries in the world. just because you saw a glimpse of what a company was thinking doesn't mean you'll be able to buy it. ever. your assumptions are part of the reason so much testing goes on away from the public eye and all the e-specualtors:stosh:.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
hahahaa.......Jee-whiz, your really pushing for an e-argument aren't you?

yeah, that new V-10 was released really quick after the protoype was first spotted over a year ago. maybe that's why they are barely being delivered now?
Last time i checked, 1 year is less then 2, thus validating my original point that 2 years seems excessive to me. Thanks for that.

now imagine this: lets say that orange was a prototype (which it was) and lets imagine the slim chance that maybe it wasn't what they wanted as a final design despite their intentions to release it sooner. maybe it cracked, maybe they wanted to test different geometry, maybe they just like to get things right. Hmmmmmm, might they decide to go with what's proven this year and use another season to try to nail down a final design?
Hey, i was just posting in a thread where there was already speculation that it might be a 2009 or 2010 frame, maybe, but no one really knows. I didn't start any speculation, list release dates or start the thread for that matter. Hurray for the internet!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004

how about intense? that m3 went right to market pretty fast, eh?

now imagine this:
The M3 showed up at interbike 2003 and hit production October 2004.

If Orange wants to have to have long lead time that's their perogative.....

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
The M3 showed up at interbike 2003 and hit production October 2004.

I am sure that was not the first time one was spotted, tested or even raced , sorry your argument is not valid !

I am amazed at how some people equate a simpler design as a single pivot as somehow being a lot easier to engineer and produce etc.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I am sure that was not the first time one was spotted, tested or even raced , sorry your argument is not valid !
It is the trend to argue around here but that was not my intention......i really don't care how long Orange takes to put the bike out...

Was just putting a timeline out there for reference sake....