Quantcast

New Pedal Design

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I was messing around in CAD class and came up with this. Nothing revolutionary, just what i think is a well designed pedal. I have not worked on the spindle or bearings yet but that will be next. Oh and the body is about 78g out of 6061

Last edited:

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I would remove one of the screw holes on the f/r cluster of holes, and spacing them accordingly. IMO it would allow the shoe to sink onto the pins easier, sorta like how you can stand on a bed of nails, but cant stand on one or two. Just my thoughts. other than that I think it looks wicked.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I think that pins in the center will put pressure on the wrong parts of you foot and could be painful.

The next step is to go and get some quotes from local machine shops. Then we will see if they get made. The Spindle i will make at my work because that is easy.
OK, I held off on criticism since I figured you were a young'n and modeling those just as an exercise.

I would recommend that you take step back and engineer the spindle and bearing system first since that is the major constraint which will govern your pedal design.

Secondly, you are going to want to design that pedal body as a manufacturable part. As it sits now, you are looking at a part that will require a good bit of fixturing and rotating in a 3-axis machine. You probably will also get some grief or laughs from the machinist since you don't have any corner radii which is governed by the tool size. Whenever designing something it is a good idea to use some basic DFM&A principles to minimize cost. Since you want to make this as a machined part you really should pay attention to things like the number of times it needs to be flipped/setup, and the types of tools necessary to mill out the features. As simple as that pedal looks you may besurprised at some of the quotes you get back.

Anyway, good luck, but start working on RevB :thumb:

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
OK, I held off on criticism since I figured you were a young'n and modeling those just as an exercise.

I would recommend that you take step back and engineer the spindle and bearing system first since that is the major constraint which will govern your pedal design.

Secondly, you are going to want to design that pedal body as a manufacturable part. As it sits now, you are looking at a part that will require a good bit of fixturing and rotating in a 3-axis machine. You probably will also get some grief or laughs from the machinist since you don't have any corner radii which is governed by the tool size. Whenever designing something it is a good idea to use some basic DFM&A principles to minimize cost. Since you want to make this as a machined part you really should pay attention to things like the number of times it needs to be flipped/setup, and the types of tools necessary to mill out the features. As simple as that pedal looks you may besurprised at some of the quotes you get back.

quoted for truf

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI

:stupid:

That's exactly what I was thinking. You could make it but it would cost a lot. I can't imagine EDM'ing a pedal just to get tight radii. I was taught to solid model using the exact same method that you would machine it. For instance, how would you core it out? I guess you could start with an extrusion but i don't know if that would give you the mechanical properties that you are looking for.

Good modeling though. It's not as easy as MS paint. :D

Last edited:

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...

Very Very good advice!! :cheers:

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I think that you are all missing the point, this was something that i drew up as an idea, I know that this model is far from production, I do have experience in a machine shop and know what you are saying for tooling radius and how many times the part must be set-up and the tolling changes that must happen.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
I feel like you might want some structure under the main set screw areas, connecting the top plate to the bottom. I had bad luck with pedals that spanned that distance withough anything connecting to the bottom.

but what do i know, im just an arsty architecture student haha