Quantcast

New phone and new service.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am NOT a big phone guy. I have had my same crappy pay per use phone for over 2 years, but it's finally gotten to the point where it costs more that a simple plan.

So I found a "good" deal on an AT&T family plan and got a line and phone for the wife, too. Since I didn't want a HUGE phone and also am too cheap to pay $30 a month for a PDA data package, I got an LG Shine with Medianet Unlimited.

Anyone use MediaNet? It's supposed to be unlimited data and it doesn't charge towards my minutes. I figure if I get lost on my road trip next month, it could come in handy.

It's supposed to tether and it's 3G, so laptop access should be ok if there is no wifi to "borrow". I did learn if I used the IM client that is included that it charges for SMS, but 3rd party apps are treated as data. My phone is supposed to be here on Wednesday and I will see how well it works out.

$85 a month for 2 lines, one data package, 550 shared rollover minutes, and 200 messages per phone. AT&T seemed to have the best coverage around here, guess I'll find out.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I got a Motorola Q with ATT's PDA/unlimited data plan, and have been very happy. Unlimited texts/IM/internet, 3G/mediaNET, 450 anytime mins, 5000 night/weekend min, unlimited mobile to mobile min. Windows mobile has been amazing, very easy to get used to, have all 4 of my email accounts synched to Outlook on it. The $90 a month for one line isn't the greatest, but the constant contact with work and unlimited data/messaging makes it a lot easier to deal with. Plus the built in storage + 2Gb microSD card allows for lots of storage for pics/documents (word, excel, etc)/music. All the "accessories" have worked well too (video camera/camera, etc.) although I don't really care about that (didn't even know it had a camera when I bought it). Definitely no complaints about either the service or my particular phone/plan.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Be glad you aren't an iPhone 3G early adopter :biggrin:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/08/12/apple-as-iphone-sales-grow-so-do-3g-reception-issues/

But Nomura’s Richard Winsdor writes today that with the new iPhone out for a month, there are growing complaints on the reception of 3G signals, with some users having trouble getting a 3G connection and hanging on to it. And he says the trouble is not a U.S.-specific issue.

“Problems include high incidence of dropped calls, switching onto EDGE while the device is stationary and loss of reception while in good coverage,” he writes. Windsor says these issues are not being reported about other 3G devices on the AT&T (T) network, “implying that there is a specific iPhone problem.” Windsor says that the issues are “typical of an immature chipset and radio protocol stack,” and points the finger at chipmaker Infineon (IFX).

Windsor writes that not everyone will experience the issue, “as it is only in areas where the radio signal weakens that the immaturity of the stack really shows.” He adds that because the issue is likely embedded in low-level software in the chipset, “a firmware upgrade from Apple is unlikely to fix the problems.”
iOwn3d!

At least they can look forward to the 3rd revision of the iPhone - Apple usually has a pretty polished turd by the third revision though the iPod wasn't great until rev 5.5.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I tried Windows Mobile and hated it. If I was going with a bigger phone, it would likely be a Treo running Linux.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Do you hate Windows? Or just Windows Mobile?
Not a big fan of Windows in general. I have XP running as a VM on workspace 2 here at work, but only because the version of exchange we use at work doesn't sync with Evolution and OWA is painful.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 both at work and at home.