Quantcast

New phone time

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I like my pixel 2 XL cause it big and I can't see.

Considered the Samsung, but the holiday deals favored the pixel.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You sure he has S9 and not S9+? The S8 I have is reasonably sized.

I dunno. My work phone is an S8 and I find its too big. Then again, I don't use it for games, YouTube or anything like that. But when I go biking without a pack, I always fear that its going to fall out of my pockets. Its a great phone, though.

My personal phone is an old Motorola Moto G (gen 1). The thing is indestructible and keeps going. Its slow, but still works for Strava and Tinder, so meh. Its size is perfect.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think my Galaxy S6 Active is 3 years old and still does everything I need. I wouldn't want any bigger, the 5.1" screen does just fine for me. It's waterproof with a slight level of extra protection from its case versus the non-active versions.

I think most newer phones are bigger screens now aren't they? Maybe see if the S7 Active would work for you, I think it's still a 5.1 screen.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i have said it before.....but.....put whatever phone you get in a otterbox or something similar....i would speed rate the otterbox i have at 45-50 mph at car roof ejection speed....

PS.....model is otterbox defender....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Have a note 8. Have very, very few complaints about my note 8. Wireless charging died after 10 months, probably because of my shitty car wireless charger. It was fully replaced under warranty, took about a week. Have a one month old phone now.

If I were doing it again, I'd get the S9 or wait for whatever is next. Allegedly the S9 is just a rehash of the S8. The next phones may offer a few more significant improvements. I wouldn't go for a big phone again (note 9 or S9+). They're just too big, especially the difference in screen size from an apple to a samsung.

You may also want to consider LG. I was looking hard at a V30, but the initial phones had some issues with their screens. I didn't want to wait, so I got the note, but the LG was midway between the big and small samsungs, and have nice options for people who still use headphones.

I bought mine through best buy. No real surprises buying it thruogh them, but the discount was significant over verizon (like $200). I would expect you'll see some awesome deals if you can wait two weeks, as that's cyber monday bullshit. I got my phone about a year ago now.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I like my pixel 2 XL cause it big and I can't see.

Considered the Samsung, but the holiday deals favored the pixel.
Did this using Project Fi. Works out cheaper than I was paying on Sprint, especially because most of my data usage is under wifi and it automatically switches to such, even out and about if it's a confirmed network (Starbucks, Home Depot, etc). Using Project Fi I can also use any network, so I never have connectivity issues, no matter where I am.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Would not recommend anything Googley/Pixeley. The P2 and other models had known hardware issues that caused them to brick suddenly. Google is in a class action regarding it. No idea if they still use crappy hardware.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
The only Samsung phone I would consider is the Galaxy S8 Active. Waterproof, rugged, may not need a case, no slippery glass back, and good performance.

I recently bought a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact because I wanted a smaller phone, but the regular XZ2 is also good with a bigger screen. I like it so far as it's fast, not bloated with software, and waterproof.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I get my Brothers cast off I phones. He always gets the latest and greatest. Its his thing. I end up getting a perfectly good phone. I am on his plan also. I try to give him money but he won't take it. I can pay for my own phone however. I just don't...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
The only Samsung phone I would consider is the Galaxy S8 Active. Waterproof, rugged, may not need a case, no slippery glass back, and good performance.

I recently bought a Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact because I wanted a smaller phone, but the regular XZ2 is also good with a bigger screen. I like it so far as it's fast, not bloated with software, and waterproof.
Slippery glass back is the worst. What a stupid idea.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
My iPhone is the only Apple product that I have ever owned, and the only reason I have it is that i received it as a gift. Never got along with Macs and was dead sure I'd never get another iPhone after Apple announced their latest offerings and their prices. My phone was getting noticably slower over the summer and seemed a bit overwhelmed with more recent apps, so i started cursorily looking for a possible replacement. Turns out I won't need a replacement after all, since after updating to ios12, my almost half a decade old phone now performs like it was brand new. That long term product support is one area were iPhones have a major advantage.

Not a fan of Samsung phones and their bloated OS and oversaturated colors personally, if I were looking for an Android phone I'd probably go with the One Plus 6T. Pretty smartly speced at a decent price compared to the flagships, but it doesn't have a rating for waterproofness. If the camera is of major importance, I'd get a Pixel 2 which is at least water resistant and has stock Android.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I bought a HP Elite X3 on clearout a while ago, I can RM on the TV and text/email on the phone at the same time but the phone can't do much else, pretty easy to see why the whole Windows thing imploded.

I would say don't buy an Xperia XA2, what a dreadful piece of shit that was, nice screen though. I was planning on ditching Android and moving to Sailfish but it sounds like that's sorta like Windows all over again, released but not really finished.

EDIT- Ooooh hadn't seen the Samsung DeX thing before, if you want to use it to run a second display the Note9 would be a better choice as it has double the RAM, the 4GB of the s9 is pretty shit for a flagship.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Would not recommend anything Googley/Pixeley. The P2 and other models had known hardware issues that caused them to brick suddenly. Google is in a class action regarding it. No idea if they still use crappy hardware.
Source, please.

The Nexus 5x had serious defect where the majority of the 5x models will eventually go into a boot loop. It's basically just a matter of time. But the 5x was released in 2015, and being a Nexus device, was basically considered a budget phone anyway.

The Pixel models have been well regarded and use premium hardware.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
The Nexus 5x had serious defect where the majority of the 5x models will eventually go into a boot loop
https://chimicles.com/google-pixel-bootloop-potential-class-action/

I had a Pixel 2 that went to boot loop after attempting to update the OS. Just a regular update. Apparently they would build up heat during updates and cook a connection to one of the processors or something.

This is just what I found out after assuming it was a bad install. I tried to flash a new kernal onto it with no luck and did some research. Can't remember what sites I was wandering around on for the details.