Quantcast

New Pike / Hope hub compatability issues

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I am trying to put together my new bike and have been having trouble getting my front wheel into the fork. It's a Hope Pro2 with the 15mm kit on it. Spacing is roughly 3-4mm too wide. I can jam the wheel into the fork, but it's really skewed to one side. The conversion kit is equal for both sides, the hub is perfect, as it had no issues with my 36.

Is anybody else having fit issues with the fork? Has anybody else tried to fit these two together?

Thanks

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Is 3-4mm enough to cause binding in the travel?

Do the dropouts have any paint/powder on them, or are they clean?

Can you measure your hub to be sure it's 100mm?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's measuring at 106mm, which makes no sense. It fit perfectly for the 20mm forks. I guess I get to go buy a new front wheel. This is incredibly frustrating.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
It's measuring at 106mm, which makes no sense.
I agree, that makes no sense. Either 100 or 110.
Triple check that the new end caps are installed correctly, then if all seems right get a flat file and take a few mm off each of those new caps. You can get them flat (enough) and square. Prob file the dropout sides, not the side which contacts the hub.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I agree, that makes no sense. Either 100 or 110.
Triple check that the new end caps are installed correctly, then if all seems right get a flat file and take a few mm off each of those new caps. You can get them flat (enough) and square. Prob file the dropout sides, not the side which contacts the hub.
I need to figure out the spacing before I start shaving things. The last thing I want is to end up with the wheel off center.

Or, put this stuff away and go skiing with me.
Maybe once my car is moving again.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You may be over-thinking it. If the two end caps are the same size, so long as you take the same amount off of each you should not affect spacing.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Could you have possibly pulled the bearings out slightly?

I have a fox 15 with a hope I can look at tomorrow if you need some measurements.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My 20mm kit has one wider than the other, so them both being the same size seems odd as the the hub needs to be off set to one side to clear the brake?
This. I will try to push the bearings in, but they look flush already.

Kevin - I know that, but it's more substantial than pulling it with truing.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
it looks like the 20mm caps use a clip retainer, the 15mm are held by the o-rings.

you don't have the c-clips in the mix somewhere, do you?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
it looks like the 20mm caps use a clip retainer, the 15mm are held by the o-rings.

you don't have the c-clips in the mix somewhere, do you?
Seriously? You know I'm a better mechanic than that.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Maybe once my car is moving again.
wow no car, and now no bike?!

anywho, if theyre pressed in all the way, something isnt correct. they look very similar to the ones i had on my mavic front wheel (cept they were made by atom lab).. id email hope and ask whats up.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Spacing is roughly 3-4mm too wide. I can jam the wheel into the fork, but it's really skewed to one side.
You measured 106mm for the hub+end caps? What is the fork measuring along the inside edges of the dropouts?

These should both be 110mm.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Need me to measure my 15mm endcaps?

I'm using a Hope 15mm with Fox 34 rather than a Pike, no issues though.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
This makes me think that the 15mm spacers are also supposed to be different for each side and you accidentally got two of the longer ones. Email Hop and ask if both spacers are supposed to be the same length.
i thought this as well so i checked my pro II qr end caps - the same size as well. the 15mm could be different widths like the 20mm but i'd figure they'd be the same as the qr since they both use the same total hub width. that said i have no idea how 15mm axle forks are spaced.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Okay, figured it out. My front wheel was 'supposedly' an 819 to a Pro2. After a bit more research, it looks like the hub that I was sold is a bulb. We didn't notice on the build, as the body is the same. The spacing on the non-brake side is 14mm vs 18mm for the pro2. I just dremmeled 4mm off and it works perfectly.