Quantcast

New Planet X Split tail ! check out the pics

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
Check it out! new planet X Slalom/ MTX race frame!

haven't got a chance to ride it yet, built yesterday, Rain today.

For those of you who are wondering: they don't make one in Rootbeer, It is not flexy, and they might make one for freeride. (but don't hold your breath)

Attachments

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
HearNOevil said:
For those of you who are wondering: they don't make one in Rootbeer, It is not flexy, and they might make one for freeride. (but don't hold your breath)
Damn you for ruining my fun.

It still looks flexy :blah:

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
For the saddle email sales@teamplanetx.com. Tell them how you heard about it too.

As for the price of the frame... it is still prototye but a production run isn't far off. I will be able to update everyone late next week. but until then I plan to get out and ride this bike whenever I get the chance.

SuperJ

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Tahoe
when i called planet x they said these would be available in september 04. Its hard for me to believe the production run isnt far off :confused: .

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
the saddle is made by planet X and is called the "california republic" saddle. They are really nice for downhill and slalom use b/c they are alittle longer than a normal saddle but not by much. the padding is pretty thick and is pretty comfortable for that all day freeride. My brother uses it on his roadie...

Overall I would rate it a 8. The shape is good. they are very durable. the graphics are sweet. If I were to change anything I would give it tubular Ti rails and slim the padding to a lower profile super high density foam for weight, but that is just because i am a wenie.

Order yours today sales@teamplanetx.com

todbanner

Chimp
Mar 7, 2005
BillT said:
Other than the rear drop-outs, is there much of a difference between the Hammerhead and last years Ridgeback? They look very similar.
The HammerHead is sort of a cross between a Ridgeback (04) and the Armadillo (04). They were very similar frames last year, so this year instead of doing two frames, we decided to stick them together and just do one size.

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
BillT said:
Other than the rear drop-outs, is there much of a difference between the Hammerhead and last years Ridgeback? They look very similar.
there are some differences:
The vertical drop out ridge back was 17" chainstay, the new Hammer Head is a 16 3/4 - 17 3/4" chainstay in 1/4" increments.

The seat tube is shorter which causes the toptube to be at a flatter angles with the seatstays. this makes the bike jump and manual better, it tucks in sweet when dirt jumping. it seems to help with whips and flatties too!
since the frame is slightly smaller (the top tube is the same length though 21 1/2") it might be slightly lighter too.

And the head tube has been shortened along with the head angle being steepened.

PLUS! there are some sweet new graphics! also as many people have noticed sick seats to match!

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
BillT said:
Is there a timeframe for getting this bike out to the public?
New press release from Planet: Check out the site.

there are a few changes to this pre production sample.

Tope tube is no longer Hydro formed, main reason for this was to get a lower stack height for the stem and bars.

New narrow CNC drop out to allow for standard qr skewer (although we still recommend a bolt thru hub)

Final design on shock mounts will have a finer adjustment (BB height vs head angle) and is now all CNC

New head tube featuring better internal relief

and thats about it, they will be available in limited numbers in May and at the moment it looks like they will be sold as complete bike only, although we are considering a frame/fork/shock option featuring Fox TALAS fork and DHX shock

watch the site for more details soon we will be taking advance orders

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
Bert said:
Good job Ryan. Bike looks sick, I vouch for how well it rides. Can't wait to ride the new version. Go to production!
Hey Bert, how've you been? you will be missed this coming season. call peter, there are some cool new things happening for the '05 season.

good to hear from you.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
nice.
i don't know about the rest of you, but these still bike shots are getting old... how about some riding shot?! :)

HearNOevil

Chimp
Aug 25, 2003
Nor- Cal
I raced it this weekend out at SandHill and was very pleased. I didn't perform quite as I would have liked to, but the bike was steller. Go to www.teamplanetx.com and check out the message board. the Sand Hill report is under rider diaries.

Hopefully there will be some pictures up soon.