Quantcast

NEW Pro/Expert Section open at SUGAR MTN Today.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I went to Sugar today with JeremyR and Brady frm Hcor and Seth from GA today. My intent was to clear the top trail we cut last season but I got there way late....and of course just rode the piss out of the DH course all day.

At day's end I thought of all the people who might show up to ride the new section and not even be able to find it...5 foot high weeds covered it from top to Donovan's dungeon. I talked myself into clearing it in the rain. A few dozen segments of heavy duty weed eater line later and 2.5 hours of my life given to charity....the top is now READY TO ROCK!...literally.

It isn't marked so if you go here is how to find it. Go to the VERY top (not 3/4) and take a right. There is a wooden "gate" facing down the first slope on your right. Ride through the gate and aim for the pile of rocks to your left next to the water gun....go. You'll hit rocks, roots and then a long sweeping open section that is fairly wide and go into the big drop.

After the drop you pop out on the slope and go IMMEDIATELY ACROSS the slope and UP into the woods and hit a hip that drops back over to the right.

After this little hip, go straight back across the slope and back into the woods, down a shallow bank and into a mellow woods section(couldn't rip the entire fallen tree out with my bare hands, so twisted it as far out of the way as possible.) Up over a little flat rock and pop out into the open air.

You'll be looking down a really, really big wide flat rock about 70 feet long and you just go down it to the slope. Squeeze real tight on the bars or you'll tattoo yourself at the bottom. Hang a right down the slope and on your left (about 50 yards) will be a crappy "trimmer" job with the weed eater into the Cartman drop...you'll say "EHHH!" Drop down the bank (this is a technical drop so wear your pads) and veering tight right and then through a lot of boulders, some more boulders, 1 big mammouth root and down a set of stairstep rocks right into the first 90 degree turn of Donovan's dungeon.

Then ride the rest of the course.... ;)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
bizutch said:
......into the Cartman drop...you'll say "EHHH!" Drop down the bank (this is a technical drop so wear your pads)......

so is it a tech drop like this one at wolf? you know...the one that started as a roll-in but ended up like a drop to g-out that threw 70% of the riders that hit it :D :devil: i loved that thing :thumb:

and yes...that's you butch

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
manimal said:
so is it a tech drop like this one at wolf? you know...the one that started as a roll-in but ended up like a drop to g-out that threw 70% of the riders that hit it :D :devil: i loved that thing :thumb:

and yes...that's you butch
oh I know it's me...I'm Captain Narcissist!

No...take that bank and run it about another 60 feet straight down through lots of rocks..then turn right and angle down through a lot of rocks spaced out and in between 2 trees over a big rock with a gnarly root growing into it....the last rock section is really long. I think most people are going to love the very top section more than that thing. The drop at the end of the first section is tricky...I haven't gotten to do it but Doug and Julian hit it last year and seemed to enjoy it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
werd dawg. glad you were stil lable to get things done in the absence of the chainsaw. i am going to try tomake it on race day to take photos at the big drop at the top. i am sure it is going to munch some people.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
biggins said:
werd dawg. glad you were stil lable to get things done in the absence of the chainsaw. i am going to try tomake it on race day to take photos at the big drop at the top. i am sure it is going to munch some people.
forget that big drop dude...it's so narrow in there and you'd have to find a way to float on rhodedendron to get a clean pic... :p

the place of carnage is the long bank/drop we added that is before Donovan's Dungeon...jsut straight up tough and technical...not too scary but it's going to be hard to clean the first time or two....and standing at the bottom you can get a 5 shot sequence to pimp the RM crew... :cool:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Was it cleared on Sunday?

We couldn't find it on Saturday, and I didn't really bother looking for it on Sunday.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
DVNT said:
Was it cleared on Sunday?

We couldn't find it on Saturday, and I didn't really bother looking for it on Sunday.
nah, my firs run with Jeremy I tried to go down it but it was friggin' creepy. There was this fast growing 5 foot tall (not exaggerating...Jeremy saw) brier that filled the entire trail from top to bottom. Every single section we cut in back in the fall looked like it had been sowed with brier seed. I went up Saturday afternoon around 5:30- and weed eated non-stop from Donovans Dungeon up to the top until 7:30pm to clear it out. I cleared it so that I knew for sure I'd be able to ride it this coming weekend....cannot frickin' wait!!!

Anybody out riding Sunday go check it out?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I was up there on Sunday, but forgot to look for it on the few runs we got in.

Thanks for clearing it though, look forward to checking it out next time.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
manimal said:

That ****er broke my collabone. What an evil drop.

Does anyone know how muddy Sugar might be this weekend. I would like to go riding but I do not have the time to clean and lube my bike after a muddy ride. Anyuone riding there on Sunday?

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
What thread can I find more info about about Saturday? I do have to work though so that might put a halt to the Saturday riding. I do want to do something on Sunday though.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
so i take it that is the rock drop you guys were talking so much about bizutch. man the entry looks major scetch and the runout is on the side of a cliff ohh well it looks fun. thanks for the pics and the vids.