Quantcast

New Puppy Coming Home Tomorrow. Supplies, equipment, accessories?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
As I mentioned in the Doggy thread, I'm picking up a new pup tomorrow, I didn't want to derail that thread so I made a new one. I haven't had a puppy in about 10 years so I'm not familiar with some of the latest and greatest doggy equipment and accessories. I know the basic things I need to get and I already have a crate, puppy gates and a few other things. But I'm wondering if Monkey's have used anything with success, puppy pads, new fangled harnesses? Just looking for any helpful suggestions, I'm probably going to stop by the pet shop after work to pick up some supplies.

Puppy

View attachment 110930View attachment 110931View attachment 110932View attachment 110933

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Gentle Leaders are nice. I guess they've been around some time but when we got our last Lab as a youngster about 8 years ago, they were new to me. IMHO better than a choker or similar type lead, both in ease of use and in the less cruel manner.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Gentle Leaders are nice. I guess they've been around some time but when we got our last Lab as a youngster about 8 years ago, they were new to me. IMHO better than a choker or similar type lead, both in ease of use and in the less cruel manner.
My girlfriend just picked up one of those for her dog, he's 6 so its taking a few walks for him to get used to it. I guess if I start the puppy on it from day one, it will become 2nd nature in no time. Thanks!

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I meant to put together a list of things that were most useful when we got out dog last September.

* Puppy pads - We were told that these slow house training, so we never used them.
* Bathrobe - Great for the late night and early morning trips outside, which you will be making.
* Multiple leashes - We had one for walks. Then a couple more that we used for around the house if we needed him to stay somewhere. I made the extras with some old webbing and carabiners. Loops in each end of the webbing with a carabiner at the end to clip to the dog's collar. It's easy to put them around a table leg or stand on one end.
* Webbing - This also makes a good cheap toy for tugging.
* Sticks - They're free and our dog loved chewing them.
* Harness - We used this one. http://www.wiggleswagswhiskers.com/newsite/freedom-no-pull-harness.htm It was not cheap, and it worked well. However, over time it made him start limping. This led to about $700 worth of vet visits and x-rays before we figured out that the front loop on the harness was the problem.
* Bitter apple spray - sometimes it takes a couple applications, but it works. After a couple weeks he learned what the bottle looked like and he would just stop chewing whatever he was chewing when he saw it come out. Cayenne pepper also works in a pinch.

General observations:
- Lots of puppies can't make it through the night without peeing. So for the first few weeks I took Odin out at 9:00 pm, just before bed, again at 3:30 am, and then at 6:30 am when he got up. In retrospect he may have been able to do it, but we really did not want any messes on the carpet.
- For sleeping, the best solution we found was to leash him to the nightstand next to the bed. He cried a bit the first night, so every time he stopped, I counted to fifteen. If he got to fifteen I'd reach over and give him a rub and tell him good boy. If he didn't make it to fifteen we ignored him. Ignoring them can be difficult, but the word no has no meaning to a puppy, so positive reinforcement for good things is much, much more effective.
- We decided before we got him not to use any sort of physical correction. We never have. He's currently better trained that the dogs of most people we know.
- We pulled up all of our carpets so that the areas that he spent time in, were just hard wood. Makes cleaning up messes easy. We put them back back down when he was 4-5 months old. By that point he was completely house trained. Since then he has made a mess of them by chewing greasy bones on them.
- I work from home and didn't get anything done for the first two weeks. It was terrible.
- Puppy socials were life savers. Basically you take your puppy some place and it runs around with a bunch of other puppies for an hour or so. They were offered at a few places in town and were about ten dollars each. We took him two or three days a week and he'd be completely worn out for the rest of that evening and the following day. They learn to socialize with other dogs and about bite control.
- We were told to make sure he met at least one hundred different people and fifty dogs by the time he was four months old. He did, and he loves every person and dog he meets. It may not have anything to do with this, but I can't imagine it hurt.
- We spent a bit of time sitting outside coffee shops downtown. He met lots of people and learned to relax in what might otherwise be a stressful environment.

It's a lot of work, but it's worth it.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Awesome write up, very helpful tips. I feel the same way about puppy pads, I don't want to encourage her to go in the house so I thinking I might skip those. I've heard mixed things about having the dog sleep in the bedroom with you when they're young. A few sites said to keep them in the same place they will spend the majority of their time during the day, ie the kitchen for her. This is so they will eventually see that place as their den and will be less likely to go to the bathroom there. I really like the idea of puppy socials and getting the puppy out to meet new people, I live in the city so that shouldn't be a problem.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I meant to put together a list of things that were most useful when we got out dog last September.

* Puppy pads - We were told that these slow house training, so we never used them.
* Bathrobe - Great for the late night and early morning trips outside, which you will be making.
* Multiple leashes - We had one for walks. Then a couple more that we used for around the house if we needed him to stay somewhere. I made the extras with some old webbing and carabiners. Loops in each end of the webbing with a carabiner at the end to clip to the dog's collar. It's easy to put them around a table leg or stand on one end.
* Webbing - This also makes a good cheap toy for tugging.
* Sticks - They're free and our dog loved chewing them.
* Harness - We used this one. http://www.wiggleswagswhiskers.com/newsite/freedom-no-pull-harness.htm It was not cheap, and it worked well. However, over time it made him start limping. This led to about $700 worth of vet visits and x-rays before we figured out that the front loop on the harness was the problem.
* Bitter apple spray - sometimes it takes a couple applications, but it works. After a couple weeks he learned what the bottle looked like and he would just stop chewing whatever he was chewing when he saw it come out. Cayenne pepper also works in a pinch.

General observations:
- Lots of puppies can't make it through the night without peeing. So for the first few weeks I took Odin out at 9:00 pm, just before bed, again at 3:30 am, and then at 6:30 am when he got up. In retrospect he may have been able to do it, but we really did not want any messes on the carpet.
- For sleeping, the best solution we found was to leash him to the nightstand next to the bed. He cried a bit the first night, so every time he stopped, I counted to fifteen. If he got to fifteen I'd reach over and give him a rub and tell him good boy. If he didn't make it to fifteen we ignored him. Ignoring them can be difficult, but the word no has no meaning to a puppy, so positive reinforcement for good things is much, much more effective.
- We decided before we got him not to use any sort of physical correction. We never have. He's currently better trained that the dogs of most people we know.
- We pulled up all of our carpets so that the areas that he spent time in, were just hard wood. Makes cleaning up messes easy. We put them back back down when he was 4-5 months old. By that point he was completely house trained. Since then he has made a mess of them by chewing greasy bones on them.
- I work from home and didn't get anything done for the first two weeks. It was terrible.
- Puppy socials were life savers. Basically you take your puppy some place and it runs around with a bunch of other puppies for an hour or so. They were offered at a few places in town and were about ten dollars each. We took him two or three days a week and he'd be completely worn out for the rest of that evening and the following day. They learn to socialize with other dogs and about bite control.
- We were told to make sure he met at least one hundred different people and fifty dogs by the time he was four months old. He did, and he loves every person and dog he meets. It may not have anything to do with this, but I can't imagine it hurt.
- We spent a bit of time sitting outside coffee shops downtown. He met lots of people and learned to relax in what might otherwise be a stressful environment.

It's a lot of work, but it's worth it.

jpg[/img]
Good god, you make it sound like owning a dog is harder than it should be.

Buy a crate, a food bowl, a water bowl, some chew toys, and a leash. Teach dog not to pee and poop in the house, teach dog not to bite people or chew things, put dog in crate to sleep at night or while you are not home, build outdoor kennel if you have the space/ability, carry on with your life and enjoy your dog.

aixelsyd

Chimp
May 16, 2007
You mentioned the crate which to me is the most important and useful item to have if you own a dog. Remember as a puppy he will need to go at least every two or three hours for the first few weeks. I hope you bought a crate big enough for him as an adult. Partition the crate so he has just enough room to lay down in. This is to utilize the instinct to not go where he sleeps. When its time to come out of the crate (after having been in it for an hour or more) bring him right outside to do his business. This will aid in the house training, he will still have accidents but pretty soon will be at the door whining letting you know he needs to go.
Chew toys are great, just watch the ones with stuffing. Puppy teeth are sharp and they can tear into soft toys pretty easily. The suggestion of the bitters spray will save your furniture. It worked for us.
Get the Gentle Leader Harness. It works great to control all that puppy energy and makes our 96lb Lab go where we want him to not the other way around.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Partition the crate so he has just enough room to lay down in. This is to utilize the instinct to not go where he sleeps. When its time to come out of the crate (after having been in it for an hour or more) bring him right outside to do his business. This will aid in the house training, he will still have accidents but pretty soon will be at the door whining letting you know he needs to go.
this is important as most people dont do this with a puppy

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I'm sticking with the xanax idea.

My girlfriend brought home a "Georgia Crack Hound" from Macon as a rescue after our greyhound passed away.

Xanax would be really welcomed right now.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Good god, you make it sound like owning a dog is harder than it should be.

Buy a crate, a food bowl, a water bowl, some chew toys, and a leash. Teach dog not to pee and poop in the house, teach dog not to bite people or chew things, put dog in crate to sleep at night or while you are not home, build outdoor kennel if you have the space/ability, carry on with your life and enjoy your dog.
Eh, in our experience it wasnt that easy. Most other people we've talked to since then agreed. Some friends who just had a baby said that was much easier than their dog.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Everything has been going really well with the pup. She's walking on a leash pretty well, socializing with other dogs, eating solid food, and successfully going out every couple of hours. As expected with any puppy, she whined/whimpered for a good part of the night. I put her in the crate in the kitchen which I'm trying to establish as her "den" because that's where she'll be kept for the couple hours a day while my girlfriend and I are at work (the kitchen, not the crate). I took her out for a good walk before bed and she was out when I put her in the crate around 10. I went up to my bedroom to go to bed, didn't hear a peep until I fell asleep.

Around 1 am I was awakened by her whining, I got out of bed ready to go downstairs but stopped, remembering that I just had to tough it out and not "reward" her by going downstairs. I already had my alarm set for 3am so after about 20 minutes I fell back to sleep planning on getting up 2 hours later.

At 3 my alarm went off and I sat up listening, ahhhhhh silence. I went downstairs, opened the crate and took her right outside. Knowing she was whining earlier I took her for about a 20 minute walk to try and tire her a bit. When I took her back to the crate she began whining immediately, I ignored her and went right back to bed. Despite the whining I was able to go to sleep in about 20 minutes so I'm unsure how long it actually lasted.

At 6:30 I woke up for the morning, sat up listening but didn't hear a peep. When I got to the kitchen she was already awake sitting up in the crate as if waiting for me. I took her right outside for a 20-30 minute walk. When I got back home I examined the crate and was pleased to see she hadn't gone potty inside.

Overall I think it was a fairly successful first night. But I couldn't help but wonder if I was doing something wrong. I did some googling and it seems theres a few conflicting strategies. Most people say to keep the crate in the bedroom so you can monitor the dog and they can smell and hear you. While some say to keep the crate in the room they are going to spend the most time in, ie their "Den". Because she will be in the kitchen for a few hours so I thought it best to keep it in there and I can still hear her easily from the bedroom. I also read that it's not good to keep the dog in the bedroom if it's a room they don't normally go in or have access to because it's an unfamiliar place. For at least the first few months she will stay on the first floor exclusively. To further complicate things, some sites said to have two crates, one for the day and one for overnight.

What do you guys think?

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
There's a lot of opinions out there.You just have to read what's out there and then decide what you think makes the most sense for you and your situation.

We like having him in the bedroom with us so that it's easy for him to let us know if he needs to go out at night. He never makes much noise about going out, he nudges me with his nose. My wife also likes the security of having him in there when I'm out of town, even though he'd be more likely to lick an intruder to death than do anything else.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
There's a lot of opinions out there.You just have to read what's out there and then decide what you think makes the most sense for you and your situation.

We like having him in the bedroom with us so that it's easy for him to let us know if he needs to go out at night. He never makes much noise about going out, he nudges me with his nose. My wife also likes the security of having him in there when I'm out of town, even though he'd be more likely to lick an intruder to death than do anything else.
It looks like I might move her in the bedroom at night. There's actually a guy that lives in the basement of our house (its a seperate apt) and his bedroom is directly below the kitchen and he said he could hear every whimper she made throughtout the night. He's a cool guy, a bartender at a bar down the street my girlfriend and I frequent, and he's also a fellow dog owner. I prepped him about the puppy a few days earlier so I'm sure he held out as long as possible before sending me the text this morning that she was keeping him up. Not a huge deal but certainly changes things up a bit.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC

^^^You'd be surprised!^^^ Most dogs can sense a stranger/strange smelling person-a person emitting "Fear"

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Keeping the Dog in the crate next to my bed was 10x better. When I put her in she whimpered for a minute or two, when she stopped for about 10 seconds I reached down to the cage and put my hand in the cage. She licked it and eventually turned around and laid next to my hand, after a few minutes I slowly pulled my hand out of the crate and she was dead asleep. I still took her out at 2:30 and she pooped and peed, went back in the crate, and I did the hand trick again which worked like a charm. My plan is that within a few days she won't need me to stick my hand in anymore and will go to sleep without a whimper.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I did the same thing- crate by the bed for the first week or two. Eventually moved her crate out to her area where she hangs out during the day. The whimpering came back, but subsided quickly. We actually had her crate all over the place and we'd use it to make her chill when hanging out in the living room with us. I liked the theory that she is supposed to entertain herself when we're in the house- and it worked out pretty well.

After researching different dog training authors, my wife and I found that we like Ian Dunbar "Before and after getting your puppy" the best-apparently he was one of the first proponents of lure-reward training now used for police dogs and such. Should be easy to find at your public library.

For instance, I learned about "gentling" from the book- basically allows you to manhandle/snuggle your dog with no "bad" results. I thought it would be nice for when we have kids.
Also learned to let the puppy off leash, then hide from it, teaching her not to stray too far when off leash. That one worked has well for biking ;)
Here's a snippet from the wiki about him:

"...emphasizes the importance of teaching bite inhibition, early socialization, temperament training, and simple solutions for common and predictable behavior problems, as well as basic household manners, to dogs under six months of age."

Talking about this is making me miss doing all this puppy stuff- but at the same time I'm glad it's over! Have fun!

PS- all of our hard work payed off- I officially have a dog that isn't a giant pain in the ass, and she's only 13mo's old.