Quantcast

New PUSH DHX

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Has there been a thread already? Discuss! :)

http://www.littermag.com/2009/first-look-push-factory-mx-tune-for-fox-dhx-shocks/

I think it's a cool idea because the original DHX:

- Has a lighter chassis than every single competitor to my knowledge
- Fits standard springs (1.38" ID, but 1.43" ID works fine)
- Is one of the easiest if not the easiest shocks to rebuild/service at home
- Has a normal schrader valve and an IFP bleed screw to aid in the above

Having owned some of the "latest and greatest" shocks including the BOS Stoy and Vivid, I missed a whole lot of those things. But the propedal / boost setup was always lame compared to the conventional setup in the other shocks, and I think it was the one thing that had to change.

Anyway, assuming the damping curves are good and it has a good adjustment range, it sounds like a really cool upgrade to me. I also like that it uses the standard size shaft, because I don't really like the idea of the larger shaft on the DHX RC4 messing with the springrate (you get a little air spring effect). The three different HSC springs are cool too. Pretty keen to try one sometime.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Yeah, your points are good also.
and I wanted to see what thread bumped the fastest.
UDI get one, you know you want to. It looks, and sounds great.
Hope they can send one to "S"(Socket)for an unbiased review.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I also like that it uses the standard size shaft, because I don't really like the idea of the larger shaft on the DHX RC4 messing with the springrate (you get a little air spring effect).
what do you mean by having a larger shaft causing a air spring effect?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sounds interesting. My DHX is blown and this would be a nice upgrade that could take care of some of the problems running the DHX on the Sunday. Any price info?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
It was covered in this review, the third paragraph of the shock review a little way down the page explains it pretty well.

Any price info?
Says 299 on littermag I think. I assume that's pretty accurate, maybe darren can confirm.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
Sounds interesting. My DHX is blown and this would be a nice upgrade that could take care of some of the problems running the DHX on the Sunday. Any price info?
I hightly doubt that new resi bridge will clear the Sunday lower link.

The DHX barely cleared
The Vivid required minor mods
RC4 doesn't clear
BOS needs a special lower link

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I hightly doubt that new resi bridge will clear the Sunday lower link.

The DHX barely cleared
The Vivid required minor mods
RC4 doesn't clear
BOS needs a special lower link
I doubt shock makers/tuners are worried too much about a frame that is no longer in production from a company that no longer exists.

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
I doubt shock makers/tuners are worried too much about a frame that is no longer in production from a company that no longer exists.
:nopity: ...

was just letting CBJ (who owns a Sunday and was thinking of getting this new shock) that it "might" not work on this bike. nothing more, nothing less..

and so you know - there's still quite a few happy Sunday owners out there

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You can add me to that list.

The DHX clears fine, the newer links clear the Vivids too (or minor mods to 07 ones). Someone in the sunday thread also made the RC4 fit, perhaps by removing one or both of those middle braces in the link. I'm fairly confident it will hold up fine even with both braces removed as it is braced quite strongly by the pivot axle and the 22mm pivots + shock axle at the other end... and chances are if you're smart / careful you can leave some of the rear brace intact. Alternatively, the bos link (if you can get your hands on one) should clear everything.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
My question is: will they sell the new bridge like and aftermarket kit or you need to send the shock to push to get the upgrade?. Seems like swaping the two pieces is not that difficult.
Is this cheaper than selling the dhx and getting a new dhx rc4?
for 300usd you can get a good shock today i don't know if is worth the investment.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For $300 you might as well sell the shock and get something that's already better.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
and obviously you didn't read the litter article either..

what you have is not what push is offering..end of story.
Thought it might be nice to have some pics, but the thread titled "Wanna see something cool" didn't really get my attention. Sorry.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
For $300 you might as well sell the shock and get something that's already better.
Been there, done that... Unfortunately I think the stupidest thing you can do is spend a ridiculous amount of money on an "already better" shock assuming that it actually will be. I've done it, and judging by a thread you posted, so have you. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

I think in theory the PUSH setup will be nice/r because it uses one of the better platforms out there in terms of weight/reliability/serviceability and brings to it a fairly conventional and more importantly a specifically rider/bike/style-tuned damper.

I'm not sure how good PUSH is at what they do, but given how much they emphasize it (and given little details like different damper spring rates, I've seen no one else do that), I think it will be better than some of the alternatives where you have a 1/3/5-tunes-fit-all mentality.

I already own this new shock
Yeah, not really. If you read the litter article, my first post, or numerous others in this thread you'd realise that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, not really. If you read the litter article, my first post, or numerous others in this thread you'd realise that.
Correct, it's still a DHX, piston size, shaft size, etc...

But in terms of parts and customization (bumpers, oil weights, spring weights, etc), it seems to be about the same thing.

That part where Darren says the "3 springs are completely exclusive to PUSH" isn't quite true, at least not in that sense. I think he was saying that it was exclusive to Push and Avalanche, as you can see the 3 springs pictured in avalanche's photos on their site.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Been there, done that... Unfortunately I think the stupidest thing you can do is spend a ridiculous amount of money on an "already better" shock assuming that it actually will be. I've done it, and judging by a thread you posted, so have you. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
Yeah I've been there and done that myself. In most cases it hasn't worked out. I have a sort of dim hope that things have changed for the better since I last had a custom shock done a few years ago.

Kinda funny, the best performing shock I've ridden on a trail has been my gutted Swinger 6-way. Stays nice and high in it's travel and articulates nicely through every bit of the travel. Never ever spikes. Perfect and predictable rebound. I can notice a tiny bit of fade on longer runs, and the adjusters on it don't do much with the shim conversion, so it'd be nice to have that part back (hence why I was looking at the Elka).

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i still miss my pre- propedal vanilla rc...that thing was nice and plush...i have a dhx on the dirtbag and it just doesn't feel good, too much damping

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
i still miss my pre- propedal vanilla rc...that thing was nice and plush...i have a dhx on the dirtbag and it just doesn't feel good, too much damping
Best shock, as far as feel, that I ever had mounted up to my Dirtbag was the Romic. Had a Remote DHX loaned to me, never could get to like how it felt, Had a Loaner Avy....It was good, but wasnt made/setup for the bike with me riding it, But the Romic Kicked ass on there, Specially after the hookup from Roger when I sent it in!!!.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I think this might be an awesome upgrade considering how ubiquitous the DHX is. Buy a DHX used for $100, send it in and have a great performing shock for the same price as a new DHX. Not great for shops, but awesome for regular riders.

Before you start worshiping your old Vanillas and Romics,

Not trying to be a Dbag, but it's impossible to get a good idea of how a shock works for high performance DH riding when you're on a frame that is NOT capable for high performance DH riding. I don't care how many races you've done on your Dirtbags, or how fast you're going - you might be faster than me...but with a 16+" BB height, you have many more things to worry about than the uppermost echelon of shock damping technology. In fact, you probably liked those shocks because they blew through their travel enough to give your bike adequate geometry around corners.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Strange.... I didn't notice anything.

I had a 300lb. spring on a stock DHX 5 and now I have a 300lb spring on an RC4 and I didn't notice any lack of sag or any air spring effect. I did not measure the sag and thought my bike felt better than ever.

I am running 200 lbs of pressure in the boost valve and the bottom out full open with all the LSC possible and 2-5 clicks of HSC on a bike with a 2.36 to 1 leverage ratio. I only have a couple of days on the new suspension so still learning what it does.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I forgot to say that it is soo much less firm than what I am used to running but still keeps me up high in my travel. I am used to a very firm suspension and took 4 runs to get used to the buttery-ness while still riding high. I still have lots of tinkering to do before I fully understand this shock but for now I am in suspension heaven and it gets better every run.

The Push mod looks great. It is cool to have so many options.

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
Any one know if theyve ditched the vivid upgrade?

This looks great, what i thought the original push upgrade was! duh

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Strange.... I didn't notice anything.

I had a 300lb. spring on a stock DHX 5 and now I have a 300lb spring on an RC4 and I didn't notice any lack of sag or any air spring effect. I did not measure the sag and thought my bike felt better than ever.

I am running 200 lbs of pressure in the boost valve and the bottom out full open with all the LSC possible and 2-5 clicks of HSC on a bike with a 2.36 to 1 leverage ratio. I only have a couple of days on the new suspension so still learning what it does.
how much do you weigh if youre running 200psi on the boost vavle?
i know SkaTodd said Fox recommended running a spring 50lb's less than a normal DHX on the RC4, so im hoping the 350lb spring will be fine for my 225lb weight

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005

Before you start worshiping your old Vanillas and Romics,
Not trying to be a Dbag, but it's impossible to get a good idea of how a shock works for high performance DH riding when you're on a frame that is NOT capable for high performance DH riding. I don't care how many races you've done on your Dirtbags, or how fast you're going - you might be faster than me...but with a 16+" BB height, you have many more things to worry about than the uppermost echelon of shock damping technology. In fact, you probably liked those shocks because they blew through their travel enough to give your bike adequate geometry around corners.
Damn, off that statement alone I think I am faster than you.

First off, the Dirtbag is NOT a 16 in plus B height.
Second, Romics dont blow through there travel, Neither does the old Vanilla RC, The romic ALWAYS feels like crap in teh parking lot, but works great on the trail.
Third, What defines Hi performance DH? That just doesnt make sense saying a bike isnt capable whe it clearly IS.
Fourth, Why must it be Hi performance DH for it to matter if you are worrying about the quality of your shock?

Ok, so fact, with a rather tall fork on my Dirtbag, it was right at 14.6 on the BB, not out of line at all for what the bike is. 67 degree HTA. Wait, isnt there another bike out there with EXTREMLY similar numbers that is sold as a Hi performance DH Bike? Like.... wait... I will get it.... Oh yeah, a Socom, or the new Driver 8......

I dont care how fancy a shock is, I dont care how simple a shock is. You have to understand what it does, what the adjustments do, how it should react, when it should react.........Oh yeah Did I mention yo also need to understand that different shocks will feel and work differently on different bikes too?

By teh way, I didnt just race my Dirtbag, I rode the holy hell out of it.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Fourth, Why must it be Hi performance DH for it to matter if you are worrying about the quality of your shock?
Hey, chill out - I don't think WBC was particularly smooth about what he said, but I agree with the point he made. There are guys on here with bike setups that might work fine for them, but are a fair step away from what has generally been proven to be fast race geometry (dirtbags / highlines vs. blindsides / dhrs for a crude example). If racing isn't what you do then so be it, none of us are sam hill so we should be in it for fun.

But that said, his point was that before you start worrying about the finer points of suspension tuning (in relation to racing at least), you should probably have a fairly dialled bike in terms of geometry, setup and other important factors first (eg. bar height/width, choice of tyres, etc).

If you are arriving at suspension tuning before having fairly dialled geometry, then I think it's a fair assumption that you're not really about getting the fastest time down the hill (or if you are, you'd probably stand to benefit from looking at other factors before suspension tuning).

PS. Your examples prove my point, racer-boy socom owners are playing all sorts of games to get the relatively steep head angle slacker (dropouts, cups), and having owned a current v10, I can safely say that if they spec the same head angle on a bike with two inches less travel, then that won't be much fun on steeper/faster courses either.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
And my point was simple, Even if the bike isnt a full blown DH bike, You can still understand and use the finer points to a hi performance shock. Another point is that the DHX is a good shock, just not for every bike out there. The way WBC put it, it doesnt matter what shock is on a bike, as long as the bike is built right in the first place, and if it isnt built right, run a ****ty shock because youll never get the benefits of a better shock anwyays, and that simply isnt true.

WBC? Are you stalking me? Keeping pictures of when I was all Mtn man bearded out?