Quantcast

New Puzzle for you crafty Monkeys.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
You are carrying:

A Blackburn Mtn Man Pump (hand held bike pump.)
A glueless patch kit. (5 patches and small peice of sandpaper.)
Spare self sealing Tube.
ToPeak Alien bike tool.
Tire Levers. (3 total)
Small Role (3" by 1') Duct Tape.
4 Large Zip Ties.
$1.45 in change

While riding your favorite trail, you bomb down a wonderful long, steep, rocky decent, grabbing huge air and tweeking out a Knack Knack on the way down. At the bottom you follow up your specticle with a knarly bail that sends your ride skidding sideways into a rock garden. Other than feeling like a goon, you and your ride are unbroken except for the 4 1/2 inch tear in the sidewall of your tire. (Damn Rocks!) Your 10 miles from your car and your Cell Phone, as of yet, is still lost.

For you cheaters, there's a gas station 4 miles up the trail that has a pay phone. Long distance call will cost $4.50.

:D :D

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
patch the tire as best as possible with the patches. Get the new tube and duct tape it where it will mate with the patched hole. Cut up the blown tube and make an extra layer to tape onto the new tube for added reinforcement. Then assemble and air up until it looks like the patch is failing because it will. Then use the zip ties, maybe 2 of them to hold it together. Release your rim brake and gingerly limp home. The zip ties will probably wear out and break partway home so replace as needed. If that fails fill the tire with grass and leaves and junk and ride that home.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
worst case senario so pull the tube out put it in you camel back pull the tire out side of the rim and ride back ,The real oppition look for a piece of card board (tweleve packs are great see them alot ) tear out a big piece put your new tube in with a slight more air than usaul start putting the tire back on the rim leave the torn part until last now push the double folded card board in there pump your tire up carefully not poping it off the rim ride home :D

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Here it is:

Take the tire off the rim and remove the old tube. Chances are, the tube will be shot too. Take the duct tape and tape the tire together using as much contact to the inside of the tube as possible without using all the tape. Cut a small piece of tube and place it directly over the tear. The peice of tubing should be roughly twice the length of the tear. Make sure you center the tube over the tear. Use the rest of your tape to hold the tube in place, again using as much contact area as possible to the inside of the tube. Put the patched tire back on to the rim and install the new tube. Infalte partially, do not inflate fully quiete yet. Take your zip ties and run them around the rim and the tire so they pass between the tread on the tire. If you are using a semi-slicks, do the best you can. Pull the ties so that they will absorb the load of the inflated tire without creating a flat spot. (Your goal is to ditribute the pressure between the zip ties and the patched tire as equally as possible.) Inflate the tire fully to about 35 to 40 psi. Release front brake and ride on.

M

MuDHoG

Drag my bike to the gas station, ask to borrow "thier" phone, use the $1.45 i'm carrying to buy a big ass bottle of gatorade, sit on curb outside gas station and commence waiting for my ride!

Elvis

Chimp
Sep 13, 2001
F-ing Miami
Holy crapp. By the time you repaired that tire i could have walked at least 1/10 the way back to car!? Hmm im gonna say ride the longest nose manual known to man all the way back to the car. No extra work done and your the envy of all your loser friends that left you after pulling that knack(jealous punks).

Well sence it's a "gluless" patch kit dare's no help dare. Sos chu gots ta roll up a piece a da duct tape, take one a da Damn Rocks an' put it on a tire lever (not a plastic one). Enjoy till all da Damn Rocks are gone, den skip on outta dare.

That's easy to fix.
1. Either take the tube out cut it either with a sharp rock or use the sand paper to wear throw the tube, then cover the inner of the tube with the tube that's cut out then use the duck tape around the edges of it then fill the tire in with grass or dirt.
2. take the tire and tube off and ride back carefully on the rim
3. Bugger cant remember my last idea:(
4. oh thought of another one- scream and shout because your stuck in the middle of no where with not enough money to ring home:eek:

I know they work cause I've done 1-2 before, except the gash I had was only 2.5-3" long

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
id just assume two things first

the original tube is dead.
wahtever i do i wont be able to keep the new tube from
getting torn on 10 miles

so:
(hard without a knife but do-able)

cut new tube and make a big-ol knot in both ends
inflate as best possible with the "tubeless" part