Quantcast

New Race Bike

R

RideMonkey

Well I wanted to get a FS for my next bike, but looks like I need another race bike now. I have been thinking of an Independent Fab with a custom RM paint job, definately my first choice for a hardtail. But maybe its time for a soft tail? Moots? Ibis?

Help! I'll never decide and I'll just quit riding and fade away...............

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by ridemonkey
Well I wanted to get a FS for my next bike, but looks like I need another race bike now. I have been thinking of an Independent Fab with a custom RM paint job, definately my first choice for a hardtail. But maybe its time for a soft tail? Moots? Ibis?

Help! I'll never decide and I'll just quit riding and fade away...............
Sorry RM, I know nothing about soft tails.
________
Herbal vaporizers

Last edited:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
I have an Ibis steel Mojo and love it. The bike handles great, the price is pretty good (for a hand built frame) and it's STEEL. They also are a company w/ a long MTB history who hasn't sold out (if that means anything to you).

Have a friend who has an Indy and he is equally happy.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
How long how rough are your typical races? Up here I think the hardtail is going the way of the dodo. More and more FSRs, Sugars and Fuels on the start lines. Superlights and such like them are getting huge too. You can set up a Superlight pretty damn light, with disc brakes and a 4 inch Sid Hugi 240 disc hubs and you'll have not only an awesome race bike but a fine trail bike too.

chrisJohn

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fayetteville, AR
Hardtails are not going anywhere anytime soon. Plug one up to the marketing efforts of bike companies that has riders hanging up their rigid bikes for new FS designs.

No one I know with a FS rig who rides more than 50 miles a week with any regularity hasn't had issues with bearings, bushings, or breakage. That's not to say that FS aren't great rides, many are, albeit usually expensive custom designs. Santa Cruz Superlight was mentioned, and it's a nice trail ride, but my local LBS has had to straighten the derailer hanger of every Superlight they've sold this year. Most of the race FS designs offer so little travel that any massive benefit seems dubious to me.

Hear the Ibis SilkTi is a phenomenal ride, 1.75 travel, stiff in all the right places, just crazy expensive, even for a Ti frame. There is a local guy here who swears by his and came off a Superlight. He wins all the expert races too.

But with most bike issues, personal experience beats any advice anyone can usually give. Bikes are personal, that's why we're so passionate about them.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I have ridden a friends Moots with 1 in. rear travel and as Chris said, the benefits did not really justify the frame price.
Don't get me wrong , it's a sweet bike but I'm a still hardtail boy ( for now)

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
I see you and JOJO are really up for buying a Indy fab rig why so :confused: What about a Blur by Santa Cruz or maybe a Trek fuel or even a Cannondale pocket knife (aka scaple) Turner makes good bike too:cool: Good Luck and try as many bikes as can, Also it is possable you can maybe even make some phone calls to do a reveiw on ceratin products and then really get the skinny on them :thumb: :thumb: :wink: :wink:

G

gravity

RM, are you only goin to use this bike for racing, or for trail riding as well? personally i don't like super-short-travel FS rigs, it seems to defy the point of having it at all. HTs tho do seem to be slowly dying, and stuff like Superlights and Sugars seem to be winning more and more races. SoftTails appear to me to be just the same as a suspension seatpost, as you get very limited travel which is no use to you when you're standing anyway. if its gonna be a trailbike as well i'd suggest either the Superlight or the new Mountain Cycle SLiX (there's a review in a recent edition of MBA). I don't like the i-Drive Race, it's got bugger-all travel and it's relatively heavy as well.

G

gravity

RM, are you only goin to use this bike for racing, or for trail riding as well? personally i don't like super-short-travel FS rigs, it seems to defy the point of having it at all. HTs tho do seem to be slowly dying, and stuff like Superlights and Sugars seem to be winning more and more races. SoftTails appear to me to be just the same as a suspension seatpost, as you get very limited travel which is no use to you when you're standing anyway. if its gonna be a trailbike as well i'd suggest either the Superlight or the new Mountain Cycle SLiX (there's a review in a recent edition of MBA). I don't like the i-Drive Race, it's got bugger-all travel and it's relatively heavy as well.

K

kitchenware

mmmmm IF, gotta get the flames if you're gonna get custom paint. :thumb:

I'd suggest a FS for your location though.

Plain and simple, I'm way faster up the hill and down on my SL. I don't think I'll ever go back to a hardtail.