Quantcast

New race format.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Had an interesting idea that comes from the world of motorsports.

Basically it involves a race promoter (probably a bike manufacturer pushing its latest frame) that has a stable of identical dh bikes, all well maintained and race-ready. The field of racers is allowed to swap out pedals and gears, but everything else must be the same for all the entrants.

The idea is to take the eqipment out of the equation completely. People who can only afford beat up old bikes can hardly be expected to compete against the latest and greatest technology right?

Would people do the race? Would it make a big difference? Does personal preference matter too much in building a dh bike to make this workable?

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I think that a riders influence on the bike is greater than the bikes influence on the rider.
In car racing, the fit and feel of the car is still able to be adjusted, the top speed, acceleration and downforce are not. In bikes, the frame is essential to the fit and feel of the bike.
It would be a fun thing for an exhibition, or promo event for a company, but I don't think it would be a good plan for a race format

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
I think brake preference would be as big of a factor as pedals, if not bigger. Expecting a rider to hop on a bike and have any decent perormance without time to adjust to it is expecting a lot.

Like motionboy said, that would be a cool promo event, but probably wouldn't make it far as a serious race format. For something more controlled and static like road or XC it would be more feasible.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Personally dont see much point since like motionboy said the rider's influence over a bike is much greater then the bike on the rider. Plus different bikes suit different riders eg the finess riders and the plough riders.

If youre a good rider youre probably going to do almost as well on a lower spec dually bike compared to a full blown race rig. This is definately much more appropriate in motorsport.