Quantcast

New Racing Cat's (Hopefully a helpful Explanation)

So I posted this in the other thread about racing categories, but that thread seems to be pretty dead at this point, so I thought I'd start a new one.
This is how I read into the new racing categories, so I wanted to post it up to help answer the question it seems everyone has about which category they belong in. Most people I've talked to seem to agree with most points.
Here is the way I read into the classes and hopefully this helps everyone understand where they should fit in.

First off I think there should be a healthy overlap between classes, and people shouldn't be ridiculed for sandbagging, that is lame.

-Cat 3 for true beginners most people probably won't spend to much time hear maybe a season or two, unless they are possibly older or just not really looking to progress, just want to ride once in a while and have some fun. Cat 3 is all about fun, its an introductory level. There should also be a huge spread in times in this class. Top Cat 3's should probably be placing a third to midway up in Cat 2, then these guy's should have the choice to move up when they are comfortable.

-Cat 2 for more recreational riders that have skill, but maybe don't have the gusto to push things as hard, you enjoy competition but are mostly there just to have fun. You are the weekend warriors, goal number 1 is to have fun and walk away healthy at the end of the weekend, except for maybe a minor hang over, these guy's should have a permanent place as a Cat 2 racer.
Cat 2 is also a step for people still working there way up, riders, making there way up the progression ladder. These riders that are on this track will spend there time in CAT 2 and then move up. Riders moving up to Cat 1 will posses more drive then the average cat 2 racer.

-Cat 1 is still a category for the hobby racer, the recreational rider that is very skilled and probably could be pro if they had the time and drive to train for it. These guy's are awesome athletes and great riders, but maybe not in the right place in there life to be competing as a pro. These people should be have a permanent place in Cat 1 even if they win every race they attend. These guy's will be the guy's that push the progressing riders and the youth, and help them get ready for the Jump to Pro. Cat 1 is also the final step before going pro for the truly motivated athlete. The athlete that has worked there way up through the ranks and who has the motivation to be a true Pro to do the work, to train and progress, and to strive to be the best they can. Only Cat 1 athletes that posses these traits should consider moving up to pro. Really talented athletes that just don't quite want it, and just want to keep it fun, should stay in Cat 1. Cat 1 should be a very competitive class, much like "Expert" is in the U.K. Winning Cat 1 times should be very competitive compared to the pro's even if that means top 10.

-Pro class should only be for truly motivated athletes who have proved that they have what it takes to be racing at the pro level, and racers that have the drive to continually work on improving their game. You shouldn't move to pro just because you are called a sandbagger for winning cat 1, you need to want it to be a pro, and you need to be willing to work. Going Pro just for the sake of being a Pro is lame.
The Pro class at the regional/national level should be 50-75% full of Athletes pushing themselves for spots competing at the World Level.

*Please don't critique my spelling and grammar, I've put a lot of thought into this, but I puked it out into words pretty quick, have many other things I should be doing right now.*

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
Nice write-up. Race in Canada so this is a new system I've never quite understood.

Just a couple things though; You can't just enter 'Pro' because you feel like it, right? Is there like an upgrade system?

Goes for Cat 1 too? I will head down for the Whiteface 5k hopefully and Cat 1 seems like the place for me right now. Can I just enter the Category even though it'll be my first race in the states? I will be racing Junior Expert in Canada if it makes any difference...

Also, what age groups are in each Cat? Is there different age group for Pro or is all just the top guys?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
If you have a Canadian license and are racing expert you can race in category 1 in the states. Our age brackets for the 5 K DH for category 1 will be 10-14, 15-18, 19-29, 30-39 and 40 +. Same for category 2 and 3 except the 10-14 will be combined with the 10-19 in those cats.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
I know we discussed at the MTB SUMMIT meeting last november w/ USAC about possible ways to monitor & "weed out" those who should or should not be in the PRO category (you know who you are! ;-)) be it a points system or whatnot. anyhow... i'm not sure if this will go into affect anytime soon (if at all)... but it's something to consider should you try and jump to a category w/o the drive & results previously stated. there are many "gray areas" in the amateur rankings, but you should know where you're suppose to be in terms of category rankings. it has been relatively "easy" these past number of years to move up into categories... hopefully this will eventually change things & put us in the right direction to make our racing categores "legit"