Quantcast

New Regular iPods Just Released!

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Nice, people have been waiting for these for a long time. I should check out e-bay to find a decent deal on the original ones.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
narlus said:
would anyone really watch hours of video on a screen that size?
I'm so behind the times.... I still can NOT find a reason to purchase and Ipod.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
edit - (in relation to flying cross-country) that's what yr laptop is for.

btw, i hope apple beefed up their battery life then, if people want to use it on a flight that long. :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
narlus said:
edit - (in relation to flying cross-country) that's what yr laptop is for.

btw, i hope apple beefed up their battery life then, if people want to use it on a flight that long. :D
There is a huge difference in battery life between the Mini I had and the 20g unit I now own. I can use the new one in the car all week without having to charge it. No way it's got 14 hours of battery life like Apple claims though. It's probably closer to 10.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
stosh said:
i use my ipod approx 3-4 hours a day... every day. plug it into the car stereo back and forth from work, random tunes while walking the dog, podcasts for hours while rocking my son to sleep. i can't imagine life without it, it drowns out all the voices in my head :D

stosh said:
Yeah, I said that too - until I gave in and bought one. Now I don't leave the house with out it. I picked up the 60gb iPOD color and have my entire music collection on it and a ton of my MTB pictures. I use it whenever I'm in the car and I use it at work to drown out the mindless dirvel of incompetent co-workers. I can't believe I waited so long to buy one...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:

They make you feel super cool and trendy. When you put one in your pocket, and no one is looking, it will tickle your grundle.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stosh said:
There are better MP3 players out there. And I wouldn't want to watch video on a screen that tiny. Though it could come in handy for pr0n. :D

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
stosh said:
hell, i dont see the need for a cell phone, nevermind one of these new fangled ipods. thats what XM is fer, you dont get MLB and NHL games on ipods.

I too have a 60 GB colour IPOD and it rocks. by no mans is it small, but i have 5600 songs on it, my entire collection. I wont be jumping at the new video one, but when they get it integrated with a cell phone entirely (not that samsung buisness) and have an attachable vibrator for my girlfriend, i'll think about another one

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
greenchris said:
im waiting for the 60 gig ipod/cell phone/pda/internet browser...
I'm waiting for the above with integrated gameboy or play station/stun gun/digital camera/satelite phone/gps/cyclocomputer/heartrate monitor. Seriously, well not the stun gun part.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
greenchris said:
im waiting for the 60 gig ipod/cell phone/pda/internet browser...
Don't hold your breath, the part of the DRM on the Motorola Rockr is that it will only hold 100 songs even through the amount of memory it has should allow it to hold more.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tenchiro said:
Don't hold your breath, the part of the DRM on the Motorola Rockr is that it will only hold 100 songs even through the amount of memory it has should allow it to hold more.
Except rumours now abound that apple is workin on it's own phone and or wireless network.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Transcend said:
Except rumours now abound that apple is workin on it's own phone and or wireless network.
I heard that they were releasing another new product next month, but if it is a phone I would expect it to be manufactured by Motorola.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Tenchiro said:
I heard that they were releasing another new product next month, but if it is a phone I would expect it to be manufactured by Motorola.

A phone with the same connectivity as my powerbook would rule. I woudl love for it to kick into a wifi network if available and make calls via a skype type system. Ip telephony rules.

I woudl hope that apple would make it's own phone to be honest. I HATE motorolla phones.

Mac Os X Mobile anyone?

freeridermtb4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
movies on a screen that small would be ridiculous, my psp owns the ipod screen for sure, plus ipods get scratched like a mother****er after the first few days

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
freeridermtb4 said:
movies on a screen that small would be ridiculous, my psp owns the ipod screen for sure, plus ipods get scratched like a mother****er after the first few days

Watching movies on a PSP is equally as retarded. Just get a nice widescreen powerbook and be done with it.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Transcend said:
A phone with the same connectivity as my powerbook would rule. I woudl love for it to kick into a wifi network if available and make calls via a skype type system. Ip telephony rules.

I woudl hope that apple would make it's own phone to be honest. I HATE motorolla phones.

Mac Os X Mobile anyone?
You can get 1GB jump drives w/ built in VOIP phones. You just have to provide your own headset. Hell, there are even Korean phones that will automatically switch from 3G to WiFi automatically.

The really cool items like that don't usually show up in the US.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tenchiro said:
Not trying to start an i-pod war here but is there any advantage to a phone with i-tunes verses a phone with mp3 capability?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
it's missing some features that media center has, in particular the tivo-like features. hopefully apple will add those in the future.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Westy said:
Not trying to start an i-pod war here but is there any advantage to a phone with i-tunes verses a phone with mp3 capability?
Yeah, Apples advantage. Once you invest a large enough amount of cash into i-Tunes you are basically locked into buying their hardware/licensing for as long as you want to listen to the music.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tenchiro said:
Yeah, Apples advantage. Once you invest a large enough amount of cash into i-Tunes you are basically locked into buying their hardware/licensing for as long as you want to listen to the music.
Ah, thanks Tench. No thanks Apple.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
stosh said:
I am as technically challenged as anyone on RM and gotta say the ipod is a great thing. Having all of your music in one place, instantly accessible, is really great - way better than carrying around a stack of cd's, especially for the car. I never use it with earphones, never been into portable tunes, but still. I have no idea how it compares to other mp3 players and I don't really care.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Tenchiro said:

Can't you play mp3's on other software, other players, etc? Or are the downloads specific to apple? A techy friend of mine said that as long as you back up your files, you could switch over no problem, is that not correct?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
basically the easiest way to convert music you've bought from the iTunes music store would be to burn it to CD and then have whatever your favorite mp3 ripping program is rip the songs back onto your harddrive in mp3 or whatever format you prefer.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
OGRipper said:
Can't you play mp3's on other software, other players, etc? Or are the downloads specific to apple? A techy friend of mine said that as long as you back up your files, you could switch over no problem, is that not correct?
At the moment it is a simple matter to move stuff around, but almost every next generation media device is rife with DRM. That means that it would be a simple matter for Apple to only allow iTunes playback on Apple approved devices. Which means you would basically have to pay apple to use a product that you already paid for, whenver you wanted to upgrade to a new device.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
narlus said:
double lossy, mang.
i don't own any audio playing equipment that is high end enough to notice it and I bet the majority of people are in the same boat as me.