Quantcast

new ride, new experience

ferday

Chimp
Jan 3, 2008
calgary, AB
finally got my RIP built up and ridden a little. i was scared of 29er FS bikes, the long chainstays and all. fears were unjustified, she felt very similar to a 26er that i have. my manuals didn't suck any more than usual, downhills were 29er awesome with the benefit of good suspension.
31# dead even, with rampage/exiwolf and tubes.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Congrats on getting her completely built ferday. Glad you dig it. What is the chainstay length on the RIP 9? It isn't in that 18.2" range is it? I'd think with that suspension design they could have stayed in the 17.5 or 17.6" range. Correct?

Let's see some RIP 9 in the great outdoors pics next!

Cheers,

Mark

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Very nice ride, bars aren't my cup o tea but the niner looks HAWT! Enjoy it and post up a ride report soon!

ferday

Chimp
Jan 3, 2008
calgary, AB
thanks guys. the bars are mary bars, 40' backsweep. i ride them on all my bikes and love them (i ride some very technical stuff with drops/jumps just fine, thanks)

sorry MMcG, there won't be any good pics for a while, the big mountain riding is still a couple months away at best. i did get out for a good flogging on some dry local trails this weekend, so i'll offer a brief ride report...

bike is slower to get going than a 26er, but that is fixed by dropping a gear (assuming you have one left). climbing traction is mind blowing, if i had the legs, i could climb a wall...
suspension is amazing, plush plush plush with a nice bottomless feel on the jumps. downhill is typical 29er...once up to speed you can just plow over anything in your path. the head angle feels very in control and the chainstays never feel long, it's very easy to throw this bike around.
the manitou is an interesting fork. it's very plush and tracks the ground rather nice. however under heavy braking it tends to dive and chatter a bit. we'll see how she breaks in.