Quantcast

New rider... screwed bike, fork question...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Started playing with a new band... well new to me, they have been at it for years. Anyway, one of the guys was bitching about having to spend a bunch of money on his bike... long story short... he rides. Checked out his bike and LOL holy crap the thing is destroyed. Most parts on good shape just total lack of care.

Trek 8000... 2 flat tires, no chain, destroyed der hangar, fork in desperate need of rebuild. Housings/casbles locked up with rust. Looks as if he has a pretty worn cassette and rings... he didnt believe me when I told him he'd probably have to replace his granny, middle ring and cassette when he got a new chain.

Anyway, I'm going to help him rebuild the thing, time wise it will take about 1.5 beers methinks.

As for the fork What do you guys think this sounds like. Fork sags with no pressure for about 1/8 of its travel and then compresses very roughly, about 1/2 way it suddenly stops wanting to compress and doesnt really want to come back up either unless you lift it up.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
BikeGeek said:
What kind of fork?

Ah yes... its a 2000 Judy SL.
I had n XC in like 98/99 but I dont know much about the rest of the line.

ECHO: Thats what I thought at first, but I couldnt find where to put air into it. Granted I didnt look hard, just glanced at the top of the fork legs.

J

JRB

Crappy 2000 Judy SL = bad elastomers.
**edit - actually - in 2000, it could have had springs and just needs oil and heavier springs. I wouldn't work on it as cheap as that level of fork is though.
*edit - I thought of you when I drove past Drum World in Tulsa.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I think loco is on the money with the fork, sounds like some bad elastomers that lost their elasticity.

Honestly: junk it. Buy a cheap, used coil sprung Marzocchi. My family has two 1998 coil Atom 80s that I bought and refurbished for them that are still in perfect shape.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
loco said:
Crappy 2000 Judy SL = bad elastomers.
**edit - actually - in 2000, it could have had springs and just needs oil and heavier springs. I wouldn't work on it as cheap as that level of fork is though.
*edit - I thought of you when I drove past Drum World in Tulsa.
On I-44? I know those guys. Friends with their hand percussion instructor. Nice guys, horrid prices.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
binary visions said:
I think loco is on the money with the fork, sounds like some bad elastomers that lost their elasticity.

Honestly: junk it. Buy a cheap, used coil sprung Marzocchi. My family has two 1998 coil Atom 80s that I bought and refurbished for them that are still in perfect shape.
This guys is a broke musician... $50 rebuild kit is better for him even if it is a crap fork. He isnt replacing his rings or even all of his housings. Just the rear der housing and cable :rolleyes:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
golgiaparatus said:
This guys is a broke musician... $50 rebuild kit is better for him even if it is a crap fork. He isnt replacing his rings or even all of his housings. Just the rear der housing and cable :rolleyes:
I'm a broke musician too. And he can probably get a used fork for $50 that is a hundred times better than that thing. Especially this time of year.

golgiaparatus said:
...As for the fork What do you guys think this sounds like. Fork sags with no pressure for about 1/8 of its travel and then compresses very roughly, about 1/2 way it suddenly stops wanting to compress and doesnt really want to come back up either unless you lift it up.
Condensation built up in fork over time and stanchions and bushings corroded? SL's a coil-and-oil, nothing fancy. Take it apart and look.

J

JRB

Cooter Brown said:
in tulsa and didn't even let a :monkey: know huh, I see how ya are :oink: :stosh: ;)
If I had been by myself, you would have been having beers with me. I didn't plan on going all the way down 44, but we went up through Muskogee, and that road sucked. I wish I had time to stop.

*I am working on a scheme for a fall, or winter, monkeyfest for AR, TX, LA, OK, and anyone else that can, and will join in. I would love to do Comfort, but I am leaning towards AR, so we can hit some XC trails, and some DH for the other peeps. I will bring my 6" bike to try some DH too.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
loco said:
If I had been by myself, you would have been having beers with me. I didn't plan on going all the way down 44, but we went up through Muskogee, and that road sucked. I wish I had time to stop.

*I am working on a scheme for a fall, or winter, monkeyfest for AR, TX, LA, OK, and anyone else that can, and will join in. I would love to do Comfort, but I am leaning towards AR, so we can hit some XC trails, and some DH for the other peeps. I will bring my 6" bike to try some DH too.
Greenleaf state park... I'm telling you! That place has great riding, camping is good too.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Cooter Brown said:
or Devil's Den in Arkansas, we were there last weekend and hit some of the XC and shuttled the DH all in the same day here are some pictures
IMHO Greenleaf would be a far better spot for a monkey gathering than DD. Greenleaf is an epic ride with every kind of terrain you can imagine... DD is more of a technical playground.

NOTE: DD would still be cool.

J

JRB

golgiaparatus said:
Greenleaf state park... I'm telling you! That place has great riding, camping is good too.
I'll check that place out.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
I'm a broke musician too. And he can probably get a used fork for $50 that is a hundred times better than that thing. Especially this time of year.
:stupid:

One of those Marzocchi forks was in perfect shape, and I got it for $90. The other one was dinged up and needed new oil, and I got it for $50.