Quantcast

New Rider To-Be, Please Help!

schleusnerr

Chimp
Nov 29, 2013
I am somewhat new to the mountains of Montana and my interest for mountain biking is through the roof and need some advice on going in the right direction when it comes to bikes... And I'm currently bike-less. I'm 27, 6 feet tall, skinny but fit, and I eventually want to be able to climb trails for hours on end once spring comes back around. Now, I'm on a budget and I've done some browsing at pawn shops and totally saw the risks involved there. I also saw some decent "looking" bikes for cheap at Target. Am I wasting my time at a retail store or at a pawn shop? Or should I wait for the right, awesome bike at a bike shop? Craigslist for a solid brand bike maybe?

videopelli

Chimp
Jul 30, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
You should be able to find old beaters at pawn shops with some life left in them. DO NOT buy from Wal-TarMart. The worst part about them are the components. The frames MIGHT hold up on bike paths. Do yourself a favor a go to a bike shop. The 3k$ bikes are nice to look at, but tell the salesman you're just starting out, and tell them your budget. Many times the low-end hardtail frames are the same as the higher-end frames, but with lower end components. You can upgrade parts as your skill level increases. Craigslist is a fairly good option if a) you have the finances to act quickly and b) you can dicker with the seller. Many times the seller is caught up in the emotion of 'upgrading the bike' - they think because they spent XX$ on upgrades that it should factor into the price.

galloway94

Chimp
Dec 11, 2013
Bourbonnais, IL
I'm brand new as well and my local bike shop suggested the Trek marlin as a good starter. The specs for it are on my profile but I would venture to guess that with you being taller than average the 29 inch wheels would be a plus. It ran me just under 700.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If you're ever around Utah, you could check out KSL.COM. That website has tons of used bikes on there. I actually picked up a 29er hardtail that was used for about 6 months. Only cost me $400. I know there are people in Idaho that post a lot of their bikes on ksl too. Might be worth checking out if you want to wander down to pick it up or if you want to work with the seller to have it shipped. Ksl is way bigger than Craigslist around here. People are usually really good to work with too.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
I am somewhat new to the mountains of Montana and my interest for mountain biking is through the roof and need some advice on going in the right direction when it comes to bikes... And I'm currently bike-less. I'm 27, 6 feet tall, skinny but fit, and I eventually want to be able to climb trails for hours on end once spring comes back around. Now, I'm on a budget and I've done some browsing at pawn shops and totally saw the risks involved there. I also saw some decent "looking" bikes for cheap at Target. Am I wasting my time at a retail store or at a pawn shop? Or should I wait for the right, awesome bike at a bike shop? Craigslist for a solid brand bike maybe?
Not to knock BBSB's (Big Box Store Bikes), but if you want a good entry level MTB, especially for the Montana terrain (especially western Montana), then do not swing with the FS BBSB's, as they just will not hold up to the comfort level and mechanical level as the non FS BBSB's. You would have to spend more money on them to get them to upgrade to a good fork and rear shock if FS. If you really need to fly with a BBSB, then fly with a HT then.

Anyway, Craigslist seems to be a descent outlet for finding MTB's for reasonable to awesome prices, bur also check out the classified ads here on Ridemonkey, Pinkbike, and eBay as well besides Craigslist. Check with local riders from local MTB Clubs and Groups, especially the ones from your area on FB as well.

Good luck and the best riding! Absolutely beautiful country up there. Almost moved to Bismarck, Montana a year ago, but ended up in Upstate, SC instead (work related and wife does not like the cold weather up there in Montana...lol) :rant:

Puma

Chimp
Local Pawn Shops can be a good source, if you know what you are looking for, and have a feel for the local scene, what sort of trails, etc, and what you will need to take you there. But you have to have the ability to
1) Determine if a bike will fit you, properly
2)Know the area, and what kind of riding you like,
3)Have the ability to check over a bike for the proper mechanical and structural problems-It is not like these guys are trying to rip you off, they may just not know if there is a hairline crack in a frame or something someone might not notice. You have to notice it, because it's your nickel.