Quantcast

New riders. Who’s nearly died at the hands of the said mobile landmines. Share your fables

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Had 1 on the weekend on an easy Dh trail thats in a very popular bike park. Dropped into the line thats blind, loose and steep. Guys fallen off trying navigate down and left his bike in middle of the rut as you get towards the bottom. As i just dropped in his crew yell stop! Haha yep thats not possible as i touch the ground in 3 small ledges and nowhere else until i hit the rut and bank of the right berm barely in control. Only chance of a saving it is to ride over his bike but unfortunately the front wheel digs into his head tube area and im out the front door In a way Warner would be proud. Gather myself and yell at him tget his farking bike of the track, throw a few sticks down the hill in anger and dust myself and bike off. He slinks off in shame with his friends while i inspect my bikes damage. Fun times.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I had a rider crash in front of me in a muddy chute similar to a water slide or luge track. It was during practise at a heavily-rain affected DH race (later cancelled before racing started) and I couldn't do anything except try to slow down before running over the poor kid. He was ok and not hurt but I did feel pretty crap about it.

Tuning suspension to absorb riders and bikes is something we don't talk about enough.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I've rode over 4 people in my time, bike and rider...buddies know to scatter if they crash in front of me, I'm plowing ..hell I've taken spectators out too, the camera guy was the best . He fought to save his camera , wasn't hurt him or camera but placed himself in a shit location...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I've stopped yielding for stopped riders in the trail and bikes especially at Snow Summit. I have no idea what my collision count is up to now. Being raised playing ice hockey helps in those situations. Have had no issues.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Definitely not just a new rider phenomenon.
Around 20yrs ago I dropped into a blind section of a National DH track to find 3 elite WC DH riders pushing up the middle of track side by side while chatting and oblivious to looking ahead. One of them now runs the DH WC. and whateverthefuck EWS is called.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
My god. You had the chance the course of history. For the better. We'd be living in a DH utopia right now had you just connected the bat with the Ball, if you pick up what I am putting down

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I am about to jinx myself.
I have never had an incident where somebody crashing in front of me has caused me to sample the dirt. Have run over bikes and buddies, but was able to ride it out. One of the kinda cool but lucky ones was catching a pair of riders, Last guy heard me come flying up behind him and got a bit squirrely. I told him not to worry about me and just ride his run. I parked myself a few bike lengths behind him and just cruised. That was good for a few corners but then he decided to pick up some speed and bam next corner down he goes laying in a heap mid way through. Luckily the corner was built into a ravine side so think big berm/wallride and I was already pointed up planning on doing a run up then turn just before stalling out - hey I was bored. That worked perfectly as i just arced up and around like it had be choreographed. Place and timing were perfect, and I know that will never happen again. BTW - dude was ok.

Hikers I have not been so lucky. Found a family climbing up a DH trail and ended up laying it down so I didn't take them out and came sliding to a stop in a huge cloud of dust at their feet. I then proceeded to get chewed out for riding recklessly and almost hitting them.

I was not kind in reply.

Last edited:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Had a few minor misapts biking with stopped riders or hikers, but nothing to write home about.

I did however went fridge Perry style on some dumb millenial taking a selfie on a bridge while I was careening down a hill on narrow planks called xc skis. Pretty sure she can still hear me scream to gtfo of my way!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
In Madeira, i nearly ran into a cow on one stage, and I've crashed into a photographer at a local DH race. One of our local girl DH racers got taken out by a kangaroo at State Champs about 10 years ago as well. She got offered a rerun but managed a podium even with the incident and was happy with that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I nearly got hit my two large calves, called by the mom across the trail, last month at the Tour of the White Mountains in AZ. Like 2 mi from the 50 finish and luckily there were some corner workers that warned me, still at flat out max speed I almost hit them.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
In Madeira, i nearly ran into a cow on one stage, and I've crashed into a photographer at a local DH race. One of our local girl DH racers got taken out by a kangaroo at State Champs about 10 years ago as well. She got offered a rerun but managed a podium even with the incident and was happy with that.
Ha ive sailed over a white maltese terrier getting walked and it was sniffing about on the step down. The problem of tracks being close to houses.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Hikers I have not been so lucky. Found a family climbing up a DH trail and ended up laying it down so I didn't take them out and came sliding to a stop in a huge cloud of dust at their feet. I then proceeded to get chewed out for riding recklessly and almost hitting them.
Dude, during Covid lockdowns this was insane! Folks went off the hiking trails onto the one-way bike-only trails with no care in the world. Had one crash, a couple of near and some hits. I made the folks feel bad about it for sure, which worked as they clearly knew they should not be on these trails. :butcher:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Dude, during Covid lockdowns this was insane! Folks went off the hiking trails onto the one-way bike-only trails with no care in the world. Had one crash, a couple of near and some hits. I made the folks feel bad about it for sure, which worked as they clearly knew they should not be on these trails. :butcher:
Well technically you were supposed to not be there either...lol just saying..
Wife and I were prepping for a PCT hike when all that crap went down...man some of the best hiking was when no one was out..LA was a ghost town on freeways..

Was like having the trail systems to ourselves ..

We did see a nude hiker in Angeles crest, wife didn't pay attention so I called it out to her she turned and yelped..lmao

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
You guys just do it differently there..lol
Btw kangaroos are mean, got kicked at jindalee preserve outside of Brisbane...

Yeah hitting a cow , I'll take a hard pass ..that would be bad...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Well technically you were supposed to not be there either...lol just saying..
Not true! Outdoor activities were not at all limited for us in Denmark, people should just distance. So I was in my full right to be there, and they were not. If they had been on bikes on the other hand... ;)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Not true! Outdoor activities were not at all limited for us in Denmark, people should just distance. So I was in my full right to be there, and they were not. If they had been on bikes on the other hand... ;)
That's cool they didn't try and strangle hold you...
Lol man they had a field day here..wife and my take was outdoors is best possible scenario for distancing ....hell LA looked like apost apocalyptic movie ...no one out.. there was more traffic here in San Diego than up there...

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Just this last weekend, I nearly jumped onto an off-leash dog that was following it's owner (riding a Surron) up a DH trail. Luckily I saw the dog just as I was setting up for the jump and was able to lock up the brakes, but a fraction of a second difference would have meant me hucking onto the dog.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I scared the living daylight out of a rider last night. Saw her scrambling out of my way, tripping over rocks and trees in the dark, just as I crested the entrance to steep, very technical section. Once you're in, there's no way of stopping. It was at night, and she must have seen my lights or heard me coming and tried to get out of the way, but it's so technical you can't really stand, or move off the trail there. All I could muster was "oh shit... [pass her]... everything ok?! "oui oui!" [this was in Quebec]" and carried on. anywhere else on that trail would have been fine, but that precise location was the worst spot. I think she made it out ok (I watched for her lights coming down once I got a bit father down the trail).