Quantcast

new road bike ideas

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I am ready to retire my 1981 ross adventurer 10 speed, and get a new bike. Im thinking of trying out these super light weight (anything under 32lbs is super light to me) road bikes. My budget is 1k but I would like to go lower if I could. So far I have these bikes lined out.

Iron Horse triumph 5.0 $900
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/triumph50.html

Scott Speedster S30 CD $1000
http://www.scottusa.com/product.php?UID=9817

Giant TCR $900
http://www.giant-bicycle.com/en-US/bikes/road/249/11460/

prices listed are below msrp because i have connections :brows:

Thanks in advanced (btw no trek ew gross)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
out of the three, i like the IH, but what material is the frame? I assume AL, but it doesn't actually say.

Do you get a discount on Jamis? Under a grand, they're my favorite bikes.

EDIT: It says on the frame, the IH is 6061.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
im leaning twards the iron horse, i just dont want the 3 chain rings. how hard is it to put a 2 chainring crankset on, wont i need different shifters?

L

luelling

is it really that bad? what about this carbon stuff will it absorb the road bumps?
I went from a Schwinn Fastback (stiff as hell aluminum) to a Scott CR1 (carbon fiber) and the difference was HUGE. My Schwinn beat me up on long rides, but the Scott is stiff yet not as harsh of a ride. I also had a steel XC bike...if I had the choice of al. or steel I would take steel, but if you can afford a carbon frame that would be the route to go

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
See if you can afford a Jamis Quest.
Nice bike. Heck a 2004-2005 Jamis Satellite could be gotten for cheap. I think those years were quality steel. Bottom line components. Strip it with a complete NOS 105 9-speed set on clearance somewhere, Mavic Open Pros and you've got a $2k bike for under $1k easily.

Maybe a gentle used or NOS Quest or Eclipse for $1000.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
my ross is a steel frame, it rides so nice. maybe its not time to give up steel, how much does a new steel bike weigh nowadays im sure its less then 32lbs. so maybe this
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/satellite.html

I also only want 2 chain rings up front.

Orbea makes a steel frame bike that complete is sub 17 lbs. Campy group on it.

Or Bianci has a few that are sub 16 lbs with campy aslo. But your not gonna find something that light for under a grand for sure, would be more like three. Point is, that you could still get a real nice steel frame for decent money. Maybe more like 20-22 lbs for the price range your looking for, but thats still an Improvement from what your at.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
AHH i forgot about the nos trick. hmm

i am also thinking of just rebuilding my old lugged frame. it has 27 inch tires on it now can i convert it to the 300c?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Oh, I should've said this straight off...

You already know you like roadbiking, yeah?

Get professionally measured. Sure, you can do it yourself, but it really is worth the $200 to have a pro put you on a fit cycle with a watt meter and fine tune adjustments, mostly for fit, but also for efficiency.

I mean, what if the right bike for you isn't mass-produced? Then you'll know and you can go custom steel :)
AHH i forgot about the nos trick. hmm

i am also thinking of just rebuilding my old lugged frame. it has 27 inch tires on it now can i convert it to the 300c?
You may have to spread the rear triangle to get it to work with 9/10-speed stuff.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not on your list, I know, but the Giant TCR carbon bikes are an incredible value. The carbon frame is going to be a lot more comfortable than aluminum - especially on longer rides - and give you a platform worthy of upgrading parts. If there is any way you can spring for one of those, do it. If not, the "Alliance" version, which is a carbon/aluminum combo, is only $1400 I believe. I ride a custom Steelman right now but my next bike will be carbon.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i rode an all aluminum bike the other day. my teeth almost jumped out of my mouth what a poopy ride it has. i took it into lower ny state where the roads are nasty and it sucked. it def has to be carbon/alu or steel

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
i rode an all aluminum bike the other day. my teeth almost jumped out of my mouth what a poopy ride it has. i took it into lower ny state where the roads are nasty and it sucked. it def has to be carbon/alu or steel
I had a Masi with a carbon rear triangle. It was awfully rough and harsh. I have a Masi with 16.5 Deda steel front and a carbon rear and it kicks all ass.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Oh, I should've said this straight off...

You already know you like roadbiking, yeah?

Get professionally measured. Sure, you can do it yourself, but it really is worth the $200 to have a pro put you on a fit cycle with a watt meter and fine tune adjustments, mostly for fit, but also for efficiency.
+1. Fit is the most important part of any road bike. Period.

Agree about steel, although my road frame is ti.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I had a Masi with a carbon rear triangle. It was awfully rough and harsh. I have a Masi with 16.5 Deda steel front and a carbon rear and it kicks all ass.
I've heard similar comments from friends, that alu front triangles with carbon stays doesn't significantly improve the ride. That being said, I have a n00bie question, does the material on the front end (head, top, and down tubes) affect the ride more than the rear stays? Would this explain why Can-o-ale no longer uses the carbon in the seattube of its System 6?

Thanks.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
So this is not good news if you hate the big "S," but here it is:
Buy. A. Roubaix.
Find a shop that has an older 2 ring carbon Roubaix or shell out for a newer SRAM Rival compact bike. Either way you will be as happy as a pig in s*&t.
The carbon frame is flexy in the right way (vertically) and stiff in the right way (horizontally).
Coming from a mountain bike the slightly (.5 degree) relaxed geometry, tall headtube and longer wheelbase just feel right. You can still get the front end low by running negative rise on the stem, and wow. I have been in love with the bike since it came out. Yeah.