New Saint. Finally.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They're still removable though.
Not quite as easily as a rear mech is :doh:

I feel people are looking for problems here

I personally wouldn't ever want electric shifting on an MTB (orEMTB) but not for any of the bizzarre reasons you overthinkers are coming up with

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Oh I was just replying to the batteries removable for charging separate from the bike thing. I'd have expected that to be something that Shimano would have considered for sure given all the reasons for doing so.

I can't afford electronic shifting and even if I could I'd spend the money on mechanical shifting and the change on bike holidays.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Look at the derailleur and shifters, comparing Deore and SLX. There's really no difference, other than the price tag..
Fairly sure the only difference between the SGS version is SLX has an alloy backplate, a rubber bumper and weighs a tiny bit less.
Deore isn't available in GS (Medium cage) tho. and that's the reason I've just bought an SLX mech. (to use with an 11-46t cassette). Would have happily run the deore if I was paying full price for it but UK dist has them on offer ATM so it was only £3 moar.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
freeride dude. you're old enough you should remember that. it was even available with a triple! but you could also get the axle mount derailleur as option, which was the same system as the version offered for Saint.

during that era it was LX that sat between deore and XT.

STX RC were the first brakes I upgraded to from cantis.
rr_026.jpg

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I feel that the new Saint stuff should come with Metric pedal threads and they should make it 14X1.25 just to make things a bit more exciting.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Good to know.
I'm still on 10 speed and HG freehubs and don't really see that changing any time soon.
I hate microspline and I'll be fucked if I'm paying £125+ for XD cassettes when a 10spd Deore/Tiagra is £20 and I don't actually need the wider gearing.

Talking of which. Will be swapping out my Emtb drivetrain tomorrow. 10spd SRAM chain, 10 spd 11-25 Tiagra cassette, new jockeys and 36T NW DEKKAS chainring cost less than £30 all in. Current drivetrain (same components) finally started slipping in the small cassette spockets this week with two years (8000+miles) on it.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
11-25 cassette and 36t chainring, you are not a spinner! :eek:
That's the gearing I have on my park bike... it might even be a 32t or 34t. I feel like a wimp now ;)

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I didn’t even come close to a reasonable mileage value before my chain started slipping in the smallest sprockets (Shimano cassette). Sunrace installed last night and ready to go. I am stretching chains real fast at the moment and left the last change out to long. Putting down a lot of torque and mainly riding the 15t. Only way to make fun of the local trail is to balls out sprint it, doubling and tripling the rollers. It’s a general family oriented trail that serves me well over winter. Should save the money and run a 32t ring with a 11-36 cassette then change out for Summer.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
11-25 cassette and 36t chainring, you are not a spinner! :eek:
That's the gearing I have on my park bike... it might even be a 32t or 34t. I feel like a wimp now ;)
It's a derestricted Emtb. With 27.5s. So quite a lot of spinning. Also means I use the entire cassette far more evenly.
I swap to a wheelset with an 11-36 and tougher MOAR aggressive tyres for proper riding.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I didn’t even come close to a reasonable mileage value before my chain started slipping in the smallest sprockets (Shimano cassette). Sunrace installed last night and ready to go. I am stretching chains real fast at the moment and left the last change out to long. Putting down a lot of torque and mainly riding the 15t. Only way to make fun of the local trail is to balls out sprint it, doubling and tripling the rollers. It’s a general family oriented trail that serves me well over winter. Should save the money and run a 32t ring with a 11-36 cassette then change out for Summer.
IME The main reason chainslip happens after so little mileage on modern mtb groupsetss is that the top jockey has to sit in a position which gives less chairwrap around the smaller sprockets than old skool mechs and tighter cassettes.

These are my old drivetrain parts.
_20240205_184946.JPG

On a park tool chain wear guage that chain would've measured somewhere around 3%.
12speed will slip at half that. And even sooner on an Emtb.

Last edited: