Quantcast

New Saint. Finally.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Whats on Gee's bike here?

They don't even mention anything drivetrain wise, unless I'm a poor reader. The pictures are also suspect and only show the drivetrain from far, the rear of the bike is not shown on any of the close up shots.
My bad, maybe FSA? I checked their Instagram and their new jerseys don't mention Shimano, only FSA.

I thought they were always on Shimano...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My bad, maybe FSA? I checked their Instagram and their new jerseys don't mention Shimano, only FSA.

I thought they were always on Shimano...
FSA cranks.

i don't think they have a drivetrain sponsor. they did use to ride shimano no?

definitely doesn't look like sram.

only other thought would be TRP? the shift looks similar but not identical.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
8100 what? pesos?
I'd wish...

That's almost 350 freedum tokens...

I meant to say those "new Saint" cranks are just XT M8100 ones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd wish...

That's almost 350 freedum tokens...

I meant to say those "new Saint" cranks are just XT M8100 ones.
interesting choice of xt over xtr for a race bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I guess Saint has always been about durability above weight/bling. So the XT workhorse makes for a much more sensible choice.
xtr is being raced for enduro.

its also possible the new saint cranks aren't available, assuming they actually exist.

there's a pic of the hub floating around, 7 speed cassette & microspine. although i wasn't able to tell if its a 7 speed specific freehub or a 12speed that used spacers.

hitar_potar

Monkey
Sep 23, 2011
Ruse, Bulgaria
They’ll probably just cut 1 of the existing 12-speed cassettes, probably the XT, to 7 or quite possibly 8 speeds (in order to piss on Sram’s sprockets number). This derailleur cage does seem awfully short, shorter than the current Saint and Sram’s dh-offerings. Also, not very sure, but from the last photo where you can see the cassette, i can count 12 teeth on the biggest cog in what looks to be exactly just the half of it. So, biggest cog is 24t? Very… Sram-like…

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They’ll probably just cut 1 of the existing 12-speed cassettes, probably the XT, to 7 or quite possibly 8 speeds (in order to piss on Sram’s sprockets number). This derailleur cage does seem awfully short, shorter than the current Saint and Sram’s dh-offerings.
the pics above show a cassette with 7 sprockets.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do 8100 cranks with a spindle for 83 mm BBs exist? Seems custom to me. Many years back they made XTRs with longer spindles for Nico V, rumored to have ti axles as well.
no, but there is a version of XT for e-bikes that's crank arms only, so it's possible they used those with a one off axle for an 83mm BB.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Do 8100 cranks with a spindle for 83 mm BBs exist? Seems custom to me. Many years back they made XTRs with longer spindles for Nico V, rumored to have ti axles as well.
They can mate the cranks to whichever spindle they want. And in the last 10 years Shimano has been steadily but surely consolidating their SKUs across the different product ranges. So a Saint crankset based on M8100 arms with a long spindle doesn't sound crazy.

But then again, as @jonKranked pointed out, maybe the global supply shortages have driven them to a custom solution to hype the new Saint. They had to do the same when the XTR 9100 came out, because of the Scylence patent issues and the fire at the crank manufacturing plant in Japan.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
no, but there is a version of XT for e-bikes that's crank arms only, so it's possible they used those with a one off axle for an 83mm BB.
actually, it couldn't be those. these cranks still have the spindle pressed into the driveside crank. the xt emtb cranks have the preload cap on both sides.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
plus they would say "xt".

more than likely these are the saint cranks just without any markings. the lines/contours don't seem to match the current gen xt/xtr cranks.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wouldn't superboost cranks without a spindle spacer used on 73mm BB's give similar to an 83mm spindle?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Wouldn't superboost cranks without a spindle spacer used on 73mm BB's give similar to an 83mm spindle?
Yeah, you can make that work, at least in BB width. Chainline is a little narrower than an actual 83mm crank, so chainring and crank arm/chainstay clearance may or may not be an issue depending on the bike.