Quantcast

New Saint. Finally.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Was there anything about this being caused by no brakes?
Yeah Gwin basically said he grabbed brake and it went to bar or something like that. But real racers that demand the best brakes are willing to accept some bite point inconsistency. Gwin just isn't on their level according to Shimanoguy

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The Shimano dude hit a point where some of the engineers designing this stuff aren't even bike people. Maybe that's why some of these issues have been around for years?
I’m fine with non bike people designing some bike things.
Moving hydraulic fluid down a hose in a consistent manner, with no leaking doesn’t need any bike knowledge.
How the brake lever attaches to the bars, and how the lever feels, that could do with some riding based experience. Even then, id rather have good engineers, working with good riders, rather than sticking to a “riders only” mentality.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I’m fine with non bike people designing some bike things.
Moving hydraulic fluid down a hose in a consistent manner, with no leaking doesn’t need any bike knowledge.
How the brake lever attaches to the bars, and how the lever feels, that could do with some riding based experience. Even then, id rather have good engineers, working with good riders, rather than sticking to a “riders only” mentality.
But any dipshit who rides a bike can design better brakes. We just choose not to, for reasons and stuff.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah Gwin basically said he grabbed brake and it went to bar or something like that. But real racers that demand the best brakes are willing to accept some bite point inconsistency. Gwin just isn't on their level according to Shimanoguy
I've done that before! Came out of a corner into a creek gap step down too hot, tapped the brakes and they pulled to the bar. Overshot the landing to a very hard flat/uphill and hyperextended both ankles. Going on 12 years later they still don't have the flexibility they once did and still ache in the cold. Haha classic Shimano, still up to their same old tricks!

But seriously, fuck them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
word on the street is that the new saint brakes are floating around world champs this weekend.... will keep an eye out for pics

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
@jonKranked

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Seems they still have that same shit clamp setup.
I hope Beast Components email them again to tell them how stupid the design is.
German subtlety is the best subtlety.

EDIT- Clamp like the XTs, not the old Saints.

Last edited:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Seems they still have that same shit clamp setup.
I hope Beast Components email them again to tell them how stupid the design is.
German subtlety is the best subtlety.

EDIT- Clamp like the XTs, not the old Saints.
Curious, why do you think it is a shit clamp?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The proto brakes making the rounds have the clamp design of the newer (7100/8100/9100) brakes that brace against the bar. I've had zero issues with that design and it adds stiffness over the older clamp designs.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I honestly can't stress enough how much I don't care about clamp design.

The people want answers! Is the lever going to pull back to the bar randomly and fuck any rider dumb enough to be using them?

Find out tomorrow at world champs!

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
What would have been "rad" about it?

Shimano do love adding a pointless nanny state feature to their products.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
@jonKranked

It's the same three-tube design as the 2025 XT and XTR brakes I saw in Shimano's tech preview documents. Truly hideous.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Truly hideous
It's just brakes, not a work of art. :pilot:
Hopefully shimano now anodised the inside of the lever, solve the moving bite point, put better seal on the pistons of the caliper and/or get rid of the ceramic piston.
That would make pretty good brakes, wouldn't it?

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It's the same three-tube design as the 2025 XT and XTR brakes I saw in Shimano's tech preview documents. Truly hideous.

If you think Shimano's brakes are truly hideous, wait til you see a set of bagpipes in person

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Mainly for carbon bars.
This is with 4Nm clamping force, which I'd hope nobody would do-
View attachment 217624
I get that it’s a poor design from shimano and Sram, but running lightweight carbon bars and over tightening everything is also a bad idea.

A handlebar is one of the last places on a bike I’d try to save weight. It has multiple items clamped to it, and is a giant lever with my body weight pushing and pulling on it. If your bar can be crushed by a lever clamp what chance does it have hitting the deck?

Milleratio

Monkey
Oct 24, 2021
I wonder if they now put 2-3 years ago announced Saint flat pedals for sale. Shimano is moving at the same pace as Earth's continents. I’m dead when the next-generation Saint will be on the market in 2080.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I get that it’s a poor design from shimano and Sram, but running lightweight carbon bars and over tightening everything is also a bad idea.

A handlebar is one of the last places on a bike I’d try to save weight. It has multiple items clamped to it, and is a giant lever with my body weight pushing and pulling on it. If your bar can be crushed by a lever clamp what chance does it have hitting the deck?

When I first got my old Syntace Vector carbon bars I always thought they should have put the same titanium mesh reinforcement into the brake and shifter mount areas they do on the stem clamp area. With most grips being single clamp, they could leave it a couple cm's short to account for trimming.

/end armchair engineer mode.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I wonder if they now put 2-3 years ago announced Saint flat pedals for sale. Shimano is moving at the same pace as Earth's continents. I’m dead when the next-generation Saint will be on the market in 2080.
Aside from cranks and a mech, has any other Saint part been worth purchasing?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The mech wasn't worth purchasing. Was no better than Zee.
I may have had two bad Zees but the clutches didn't seem to last very long, from what I read it was the same clutch as the Saint.
The Saint ran for years without needing adjusting.

Gary

my pronouns are hag/gis
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I may have had two bad Zees but the clutches didn't seem to last very long, from what I read it was the same clutch as the Saint.
The Saint ran for years without needing adjusting.
Maybe.
I have a few Zee mechs still in use and a couple I bought as spares but still haven't needed to fit. The Zee mech on my Emtb must've done close to 30000miles. Clutch still going strong despite never having been adjusted or serviced.
That'll be that jinxed now. lol