Quantcast

New Saint Hose Swap

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
CRC has my saint brakes for a wicked cheap price, but they don't have the normal lever setup (front left, rear right). I'm wondering if I can buy a pair of brakes with the opposite levers, then swap them at home without too much trouble. Will I have to replace the olive? Probability of needing a bleed? Has anybody had to bleed these things out of the box?

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
they are the normal setup...if you ride rear left, and front right... ;) but anyway they take a little bit of time to bleed, nothing serious though. I put goodridge hoses onto my saints, I got the system full of fluid first, then I used a hayes bleed kit with the squeezy bottle on the caliper end of the brake and kept pushing fluid up through the system to get rid of all the bubbles that might be trapped in the caliper. But once I did that a few times they were perfect again.

so I would say put a new olive onto the hoses.
give them a quick bleed.
an easy switch to perform.

Last edited:

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
CRC has my saint brakes for a wicked cheap price, but they don't have the normal lever setup (front left, rear right). I'm wondering if I can buy a pair of brakes with the opposite levers, then swap them at home without too much trouble. Will I have to replace the olive? Probability of needing a bleed? Has anybody had to bleed these things out of the box?
You should replace the olive, but if you don't, I'm sure you won't be the first. You will have to bleed, but it'll be pretty easy since you'll pretty much just be bleeding right at the lever.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so do the syringe/rayhaan method and pump from the caliper up? sounds good. I don't want to make too much work for myself, but 50 bucks off each is a healthy deal.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I recently disconnected a set of pre-bled XT (765) brakes in order to route the hose thru the frame. I re-cut the hose, replaced the olive, and had to add a small amount of fluid at the lever reservoir. No problems - and took all of ten minutes to do.

toby

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
so do the syringe/rayhaan method and pump from the caliper up? sounds good. I don't want to make too much work for myself, but 50 bucks off each is a healthy deal.
You should be able to avoid bleeding from the caliper up. Just bleed the lever and that should do it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
excuse my dumbocracy, but I don't see how you do that? I've reviewed the shimano docs on their website...by bleeding the lever, which step are you talking about?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
He's talking about pumping the pistons out, swapping the levers, pushing them back in, then topping off the fluid in the lever reservoir.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Remove the pads and replace with the include yellow spacer block, cut the hoses, trim and add the new olive, tighten hoses, open lever reservoir, pump lever to eliminate any trapped bubbles from the line/lever, add fluid as needed, and the replace cover. Done! I don't think I missed anything. Just make sure to have extra compression olives and some spare fluid.

toby