Quantcast

New Saint hubs

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody riding new saint hubs? They appear to be much improved over the old ones, coming in cheaper than a hadley or similar high end, competitive weight wise though heavier than a hope, 36pt engagement...what's not to like?

Just curious...i might make the move to a higher end wheelset and the saints look great. I've had incredible luck/performance with all of my saint gear so far.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey 36 is better than hopes, outlaws, most moderate-low end pieces. It's better or equivalent to DT's hubs, and is only surpassed by hadley, i9, and chris king...plus shimano hubs last forever.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
hey 36 is better than hopes, outlaws, most moderate-low end pieces. It's better or equivalent to DT's hubs, and is only surpassed by hadley, i9, and chris king...plus shimano hubs last forever.
DT is 18 point unless you upgrade the star ratchet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
true dat. FTR, I've never had an issue with a shimano hub. I just wish they'd offer up better engagement.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey, he is on the intertubes.

exactly on the loose ball vs. cartridges. my huffy wheels lasted through all kinds of abuse and zero maintenance...they never saw DH battle, but balls have their place.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I was always under the impression that loose ball bearings can handle thrust loads better... I also like that Shimano took time to design a bearing specifically for the application, not just throwing in some cartridge bearing built for any industrial application. Not to mention the fact that they run with less stiction (in theory).
But cartridge hubs are easy, and probably cheaper to make and work pretty darn good, so there isn't much to complain about with either design as long as they're built well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But cartridge hubs are easy, and probably cheaper to make and work pretty darn good, so there isn't much to complain about with either design as long as they're built well.
Advantage of cartridge bearings in this application is that it substantially extends the life of the hub shell. With Shimano hubs (or any other open style bearing), the inner race is part of the shell, once that starts getting pitted, your hub shell is pretty much hosed. Again, a situation where regular maintenance would pretty much prevent this from being an issue.

dsb18292

Chimp
Mar 24, 2009
The M810s look good to me. I have a bunch of M800 and M801 hubs currently, but the next time around the M810 will get the nod. M800 had the removable races, but the M801 had an extra seal. Both were a fair bit heavier than the new Saints.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Advantage of cartridge bearings in this application is that it substantially extends the life of the hub shell. With Shimano hubs (or any other open style bearing), the inner race is part of the shell, once that starts getting pitted, your hub shell is pretty much hosed. Again, a situation where regular maintenance would pretty much prevent this from being an issue.
Maintanence?!? Are you saying I can't work on a bike? I can't believe DW would design a hub that needs to be MAINTAINED; what a jerk! wait, wrong thread.:p

In all seriousness, good point about the hub shell lasting longer.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Saint hub rear hub looks fine, but I can't see a single reason you'd buy the front one over an XT, when the Saint costs 50+% more.

Oh, and I should say that Saint rear/ XT front is probably how I'll build up my next wheelset.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
True, but Shimano being Shimano, you can buy only the hub shell and replace it. And, as you probably know, every part is replaceable ++ the exploded view PDF on bike.shimano.com gives you an instant look at the part you need to replace.

I agree with the front XT rear Saint combo. Can somebody point out the differences between an XT 20mm front and a Saint (except the color of course)?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I agree with the front XT rear Saint combo. Can somebody point out the differences between an XT 20mm front and a Saint (except the color of course)?
If you look at the exploded diagrams on their website, it looks like nothing.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
If you look at the exploded diagrams on their website, it looks like nothing.
There's a $35 dollar retail (less @ wholesale) difference in price. I'm guessing there is more than meets the eye in comparing the exploded views. Saint is a higher spec than XT, this the bearing/race quality is "probably" higher. It's kind of like looking at a 15mm XT and XTR hub and saying they look the same when in reality the XTR bearing and race hardness is much higher and will last much longer. Kind of speculation on my part but Shimano is notorious for this sort of thing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
There's a $35 dollar retail (less @ wholesale) difference in price. I'm guessing there is more than meets the eye in comparing the exploded views. Saint is a higher spec than XT, this the bearing/race quality is "probably" higher. It's kind of like looking at a 15mm XT and XTR hub and saying they look the same when in reality the XTR bearing and race hardness is much higher and will last much longer. Kind of speculation on my part but Shimano is notorious for this sort of thing.
Yeah, but if you compare the XTR TA hub to the XT/ Saint, the latter 2 both have part numbers that are basically the same, (one character changes on a few things) whereas the XTR has entirely different numbers. That may or not paint a totally accurate picture of what's going on, but I think it's telling.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah, but if you compare the XTR TA hub to the XT/ Saint, the latter 2 both have part numbers that are basically the same, (one character changes on a few things) whereas the XTR has entirely different numbers. That may or not paint a totally accurate picture of what's going on, but I think it's telling.
Plus in past the difference in some parts was just color - seems more likely you are right and this is one of those minor differences.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
How many people actually noticably pit the races on the hub shell? You gotta ride through some serious crap and probably do nothing to the hub for a long time for that to happen.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
True, but Shimano being Shimano, you can buy only the hub shell and replace it. And, as you probably know, every part is replaceable ++ the exploded view PDF on bike.shimano.com gives you an instant look at the part you need to replace.

This is true, but replacing the hub shell also involves re-lacing and truing the wheel. Not exactly difficult, but not something that everyone is able to do.

How many people actually noticably pit the races on the hub shell? You gotta ride through some serious crap and probably do nothing to the hub for a long time for that to happen.
This is a good point, its more prone to happen in very high mileage applications, like road and even xc. I had a pitted set of hubs when I used to ride only XC (and would do over a thousand miles a year off-road, this was way back in high school when I was in much better shape lol, also was a lower end set of hubs, back when shimano still made Alivio). But yea, its mostly high mileage + no maintenance that'll cause pitting.