Quantcast

New Salt Lake City law - no ramps in our backyards!?!

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Goll durnit!! Got some crappy news today:

"Take Back Your Backyard
Just prior to hosting record crowds at the Dew Tour stop in Salt Lake City, Utah this past weekend, the Salt Lake Valley Health Department has officially passed an ordinance to ban all ramps (present or future) on residential property. Their reason? Well, of course, Community Noise Pollution Control Regulation.

Apparently, a couple of city officials dropped by the home of skater Nick Hale just weeks after he'd re-layered his mini ramp with brand new Skatelite to inform him of his now-illegal structure. As a result, he has launched a new website, SLCMiniRamp.com www.slcminiramp.com to round up support against this very unfair and unjust ordinance. "

If you agree it's unfair, please sign the petition. Hopefully non-SLC residents signatures will help too.

Last edited:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That's BS... there are plenty of things that are still allowed that are noisier than a ramp.

I could see telling them no skating the ramps after 10:00pm or something, but what about power tools? they make more noise!!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
DONE! Thanks for the heads up Terry!
To think that skaters and bikers who have been chased from the streets by laws and complaints, are now being told the backyard ramps they built are against the law is ludicrous!

It is absurd to say the least that a ramp could cause more noise than a trampoline or ordinary swing set etc. You are going to have a long list of things to ban if you are going to use the noise argument to start banning things!

please repeal this banning, it only makes your lawmakers look like buffoons!

Our local community applauds people for building structures that keep kids off the streets!

Dave Brunger

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this is ridiculous! its obviously biased, because they are claiming this is based on noise ordinances. If the noise is the problem, then why not just enforce the noise ordinances that are already in place? :bonk:

looks like I'm gonna need a couple acres when I buy a house.

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Good one Cru.

I used to skate... and you never really think about it, but skating is really a loud activity. I once heard of a guy who had a mini ramp with pvc coping to cut down on the noise.

So, skating is damn loud, but as Jon said above, I don't see why they can't just cite you for noise.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Harsh. It's a silly law some people are looking to change, that's all. What's the beef with Salt Lake City?

woof

Monkey
May 17, 2005
Done. Good luck.

edit: Nice autoresponder-

Dear Concerned Resident:

Thank you for your comments relating to the recently adopted Salt Lake Valley Health Department Noise Ordinance and its regulations on sporting ramps. The Salt Lake City Council Office has researched the issue and confirmed that due to the Health Department’s jurisdiction over incorporated and unincorporated areas, Salt Lake City is unable to make changes to the existing ordinance. However, I have been informed that the ordinance is being enforced on a complaint driven basis. The basis for the development of this specific regulation relates to the above-ground status of the structures. The above-ground construction affects the lower structures due to the impact of sound being amplified by repetitive noise. If a violation is located and enforced upon, there is an option provided by the Health Department for an administrative hearing process. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact James Bennett or Diane Keay at 468.2750 or click on any of the links for a shortcut to their email address. You may also contact the main office of the Salt Lake Valley Department of Health at:

Salt Lake Valley Health Department

Salt Lake County Government Center

2001 So. State St., Ste. S2500

Salt Lake City, UT 84190

Tel. (801) 468-2700

Thank you again for your comments.

JT Martin
Salt Lake City Council Member
District Six

Last edited:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Done.

Banning ramps in backyards just because of noise is completely ridiculous. The use of a wooden ramp is probably even quieter than skateboarding on cement or asphalt which makes the whole 'banning of ramps' because of excessive noise, pointless. If this actually becomes a law and is enforced, would things like kids playing loudly or the use of power tools (which can be much louder) in backyards also illegal?

Skateboarders are being ticketed on the streets, and now can't even skate in their own private backyards! They could go to a skate park, but as the only seemingly legal option, they would become crowded. To get to skate parks, many people need to drive cars, which means burning gas. People should be able to skateboard in their private yard, without having to travel to a 'proper place'.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
The more I learn about Salt Lake City, the less like it. **** that place.
yeah this place sucks.... i hate having some of the best trails so close to my house, it feels like i don't have to earn it by driving great lengths to bike. i also hate that there are 7 ski resorts within 30 min of my house, then i have to make a decision on where to buy my season pass.

most locals get around the local drinking laws by stocking up in wyoming (1 hour drive) and the non mormons love it hear, no crowds on sunday...anywhere. most people don't know that SLC has the lowest population of mormons in the state. i think its around %50.
also the mormons are not really that bad, i have lived hear and in tenessee, now those pentacostals are crazy!!! the mormons ask you nicely if you would like to hear their message and leave if you say no, the protestants tell you their message and scream you are going to hell if you don't accept it.

enough with the religion stuff,
that sucks about the ramp thing. i didn't have one but its lame they would make such a stupid law. they should ban lawn mowers then too.
i wonder if they will take it to the extreme and ban dirt jumps and pump tracks next.

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
the mormon thing is hardly and issue. as well as the liquor laws(which may be changing very soon). i guess all that matters is that aitken lives here. he's a BAMF.

so yeah, slc sucks balls....

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
here's a thought... there must be some way to dampen the sound... add some sort of foam or sound insulating material to the underside of the ramps? wouldn't be dead silent, but it *in theory* should help.

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
yeah this place sucks.... i hate having some of the best trails so close to my house, it feels like i don't have to earn it by driving great lengths to bike. i also hate that there are 7 ski resorts within 30 min of my house, then i have to make a decision on where to buy my season pass.

most locals get around the local drinking laws by stocking up in wyoming (1 hour drive) and the non mormons love it hear, no crowds on sunday...anywhere. most people don't know that SLC has the lowest population of mormons in the state. i think its around %50.
also the mormons are not really that bad, i have lived hear and in tenessee, now those pentacostals are crazy!!! the mormons ask you nicely if you would like to hear their message and leave if you say no, the protestants tell you their message and scream you are going to hell if you don't accept it.

enough with the religion stuff,
that sucks about the ramp thing. i didn't have one but its lame they would make such a stupid law. they should ban lawn mowers then too.
i wonder if they will take it to the extreme and ban dirt jumps and pump tracks next.
And some of us can get to great trails and great liquor by driving less than five minutes. I'm sure that SLC is great in some respects, but it's not for me. I hope that this stupid law doesn't pass.

Vlad

Chimp
Jun 16, 2007
Thw thought of having to drive an hour to buy booze pisses me off. I can't believe that this crap is still happening in America.

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
Enforced on a complaint driven basis. So just make friends with your neighbors and shut it down by 10 or 11 PM. No problems.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Eh I can understand it if some neighbor has a problem with hearing people sesh some kids half pipe all day long. A ramp might as well be a giant drum, acoustically it's mostly hollow. Anything done on it's surface would be amplified.... including tires rolling.

I think most of us are so used to hearing the noise we don't think about it.

That law is bogus though, and a ramp can be made quieter.

They are just coercing us into breaking laws these days...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
here's a thought... there must be some way to dampen the sound... add some sort of foam or sound insulating material to the underside of the ramps? wouldn't be dead silent, but it *in theory* should help.
We just tacked old carpets to the underside of our ramps back in the day. It helped a little.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
We just tacked old carpets to the underside of our ramps back in the day. It helped a little.

:stupid:

I had an 8+ foot vert ramp in my back yard. I tacked carpet on the underside of the transition, and I hung carpet from the underside of the deck like a curtain hanging from the underside of the coping. It worked but it gave some field mice a good home!:biggrin:

oh and the only time we had complaints was when I had bands playing and late night sesh's going on!
if the bands stopped before 10pm and the lights were off before midnight all was good! Mostly the complaints were from the lights.

Last edited:

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
All these years we've been taught to compromise, meet people half way.... but law makers never compromise.

They could just as easily pass an ordinance that all ramps must be built to a certain specification to minimize noise pollution in residential areas. But no... they say no ramps all together.

No more backyard ramps! That means the ramps should go on public property, like a park or something?