Quantcast

New Santa Cruz all-mountain bike.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Shortbus said:
That top tube looks like a freaking erection to me. I mean seriously. They should call this model the ENZYTE. :D

Shorty.........if I was Freud, I would say you're telling on yourself. ;)

I like the frame a lot, and would pimp it in a heartbeat. Lotsa folks didn't like the SX Trail when it first showed up, but you should see that bad boy in person. You instantly overlook the garage-graphics paintjob, and realize what an artistic piece of badness it really is. I personally like the flowing forms that Santa Cruz is incorporating into their frame design. In my opinion, it gives the bike a more organic feel---not so much a contraption of angles anymore. It's mimicking the non-linear elements in which it is designed to operate--i.e., the trail.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Given the option between the SC and the Intense...Intense for me. I personally like the look of the Jackal, but this new SC just does NOT do it for me.
(KH)SC? But even KHS ditched the humpbacked top tube.

-all the same, I 'd ride one if you gave it to me for sure!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
dirtjumpP.1 said:
fugly... and flexy lookin'
can somebody w/ an engineering background (like Zedro) comment on the benefit/penalty (if any) of having that rounded top tube. my gut reaction is to believe that a straight top tube would be a stronger one (assuming both tubes are made using the same amount of material. it would seem that this design would put more stress on the down tube. is this a valid assumption? would a bent tube like this require more material in order to maintain the same strenght as a straight tube?
:help:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
mandown said:
can somebody w/ an engineering background (like Zedro) comment on the benefit/penalty (if any) of having that rounded top tube. my gut reaction is to believe that a straight top tube would be a stronger one (assuming both tubes are made using the same amount of material. it would seem that this design would put more stress on the down tube. is this a valid assumption? would a bent tube like this require more material in order to maintain the same strenght as a straight tube?
:help:
I don't have an engineering background, but I've been a bike mechanic for a long time and I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what works and doesn't. My take is that the hydroformed top tube ties the whole front end together. It's welded to the headtube and down tube and seems like it would be stronger than the traditional top tube/down tube/gusset setup. Also, the boxy profile up towards the head tube seems like it would be much stiffer-not necessarily stronger, but definitely stiffer which will make the front end track better. Of course all of this is speculation and I happen to like the looks of the bike, but time will tell if it works or not.

sod8

Chimp
Dec 10, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA
After seeing the S.C. and the Intense I am getting the new bike itch, both bikes look like they are intended for the type of riding I do. I think the S.C. looks pretty good, especially in white.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I think the problem I have with the bike is that the toptube is retro cruiser-esque while the rest of the tubes are relatively standard XC diameter. This gives the bike a sort of more old guy trail-bike look than the younger guy light-duty freeride look of many of the other new 5.5-7" lightweight bikes on the market. This is especially true with the full polished frame. Although the white is more pleasing to the eye, it is really just a disguise and underneath it's the same fugly "chinook salmon" look I just don't care for.

I think with three versions of the Blur SC has spread themselves to thin, I'd have liked to see the original Blur evolve to encompass some of the Blur LT's characteristics and then in lieu of the Nomad, a baby VP-Free. Perhaps a 6.5-7" VP-AM?

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
I think you nailed it. It's the initial-'image' problem. Most people who aspire to rip like to have a bike that looks rippin. I think SC went for a more elegant design rather than
bow to the gotta-look-sick crowd. There are plenty of sick ripper bikes on the market already. It grows on you, like the mono-strosity V10 and even the Jackal is alright in person (never thot i'd say that) Any bike will appear the 'look' better when a killer rider is flying it, too. This looks aiight to me now, and as always, the smaller the better.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
In reality this look is probably perfect for the demographic. The shop I worked at in Santa Barbara sold more Blurs to rich mid-life crisis experiencing idiots than to anyone else. This neo-retro styling will no doubt appeal to those same types.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
punkassean said:
This neo-retro styling will no doubt appeal to those same types.
I've heard the styling is due to the designer liking Ducati motorcycles. Gee, I really need a bicycle TT to look like a gas tank :mumble:

RubberSideUp

Chimp
Jan 20, 2005
Here
Now the worse than ever availability of Hecklers makes so much sense. I hated the look at first but it is slowly growing on me.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think more exciting news would be an Ironhorse 06 light FR bike - no silly gas tank, probably a lower leverage ratio (SC's 2.25" stroke is ok with 6.5" travel, but they could do better like the Enduro with a 2.5" stroke for 6" travel), awesome spec/geometry, nice price, and DW designed/DW-link :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
punkassean said:
I think the problem I have with the bike is that the toptube is retro cruiser-esque while the rest of the tubes are relatively standard XC diameter. This gives the bike a sort of more old guy trail-bike look than the younger guy light-duty freeride look of many of the other new 5.5-7" lightweight bikes on the market. This is especially true with the full polished frame. Although the white is more pleasing to the eye, it is really just a disguise and underneath it's the same fugly "chinook salmon" look I just don't care for.

I think with three versions of the Blur SC has spread themselves to thin, I'd have liked to see the original Blur evolve to encompass some of the Blur LT's characteristics and then in lieu of the Nomad, a baby VP-Free. Perhaps a 6.5-7" VP-AM?
wow very well put. It does just have the "old guy" apeal, there is just something missing.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is there a "lame-threads" forum where we can make this a sticky?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Greyhound said:
Shorty.........if I was Freud, I would say you're telling on yourself. ;)

I like the frame a lot, and would pimp it in a heartbeat. Lotsa folks didn't like the SX Trail when it first showed up, but you should see that bad boy in person. You instantly overlook the garage-graphics paintjob, and realize what an artistic piece of badness it really is. I personally like the flowing forms that Santa Cruz is incorporating into their frame design. In my opinion, it gives the bike a more organic feel---not so much a contraption of angles anymore. It's mimicking the non-linear elements in which it is designed to operate--i.e., the trail.
f'n hippy