Quantcast

New Santa Cruz Bikes

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Now the real question:

Why is Greg eyeing the goats so intently? The boys getting a little lonely over there? Is he trying to find the one that Cedric didn't already violate? Perhaps Gracia is just out of the frame and that is what the goats are running from. Damn crazy Fenchman!:eek:
looks like CG is sitting the grass on the ledge (between brake cable and fork leg)

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
I'm excited about the Carbon V10. I will never be able to afford one, but I'll be able to upgrade to a mk3 for CHEAP when everybody else unloads theirs for the new carbon version :D

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Cannot beleive there are no privateer photographers in portugal...epic loss.

its not ****ing carbon.

I refuse.
Don't need privateer photog's, Santa Cruz have taken some pretty good snaps for you of the new carbon dh bike... yeah that's right, carbon.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007

oohhh! This is one of the best looking bikes, right now, IMO!
and it's equipped with Vivid Air :) :weee:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
That frame does it for me. I always thought the Intense M3/M6 were visually more appealing, but I can't say there is a frame that looks better to me than that at the moment.

Maybe I overlooked it in the article, but why aren't they using a carbon rear triangle? Personally, if I were buying a carbon bike, I'd want full carbon.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

oohhh! This is one of the best looking bikes, right now, IMO!
and it's equipped with Vivid Air :) :weee:
As much as I dislike santa for their bs marketing and don't really like how the susp on the older v10s felt I agree. Finally they've made a bike I like. Longer TT FTW!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Maybe I overlooked it in the article, but why aren't they using a carbon rear triangle? Personally, if I were buying a carbon bike, I'd want full carbon.
i think it makes sense on a retail bike for a couple reasons: lowers production cost (a swingarm is a complicated part to lay up), and it's subject to lots of abrasion & impact damage. evidently they've achieved a significant weight savings with just the front end, so perhaps they've determined the cost / benefit ratio of going full wasn't worth it.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
evidently they've achieved a significant weight savings with just the front end, so perhaps they've determined the cost / benefit ratio of going full wasn't worth it.
They'll go full carbon at some point....that'll be the next buzz.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
i think it makes sense on a retail bike for a couple reasons: lowers production cost (a swingarm is a complicated part to lay up), and it's subject to lots of abrasion & impact damage. evidently they've achieved a significant weight savings with just the front end, so perhaps they've determined the cost / benefit ratio of going full wasn't worth it.
and... it's not a finalized product yet, it's still in testing/development.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
As it is they saved 2lbs with the alu swingarm, so I'd say it's not necessary at the moment and anything to make this bike cheaper I think is a great idea.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That frame does it for me. I always thought the Intense M3/M6 were visually more appealing, but I can't say there is a frame that looks better to me than that at the moment.
it kind of has a M6Evo esque look to it

the BB area looks cool. id love to see how the make the frames too
the 8.5" or 10" settings are nice too!

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I see this bike as a pretty big deal.

It's carbon, it's desirable, and it's going to be raced by top pros on the WC. And it will probably kick @ss.

This is going to turn the tables. After this season, DHers will finally accept carbon. Specialized and Trek will be next to follow. Steber will probably even re-tool for carbon.

Big deal I'm tellin ya.

it kind of has a M6Evo esque look to it
i agree also. i'm sure this will be on the plate for consideration for folks' 2011 rides. (if it stays on track in the prototype/testing cycle)

its pretty awesome that they knocked off nearly 2lbs of weight with a carbon front triangle thats 1/2" thick! i wonder if they will put in an integrated downtube protector (similar to Trek) for the amateur masses.

If this frame is priced the same as the Turner DHR....uh oh DT....;)

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Such an improvement! Asthetics aside, did any one look at the Geometry sheet? Finally... proper Dh Geometry and best of all, who would say it coming from SC, ajustability!

Its funny they used the Driver 8 swingarm, but it looks like it was made for this bike...

I think they went with Alu cause of production costs and abrasion. Plus, there must be inherent characteristics to aluminium that carbon doesn't have making it better for a rear swingarm. Kinda reminds me of those bikes that have a front triangle made of steel or cromo with Alu swing arms or vice versa...

And they've finally made the 9'5 shock concersion... about time.

They said they shaved down almost two pounds and the also said its overbuilt... Honestly, I would want them to lower the weight any further, not at least untill the full on DH crowd see the benefits of Carbon and learn to love it.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I'd trade my mom and GF to get that bike...HOLY SICKNESS !!!! Wow, I love it.

Anyone else notice Steve's seems to be running a COIL spring Vivid and not the air version? You'd think he'd run that on that bike if it was that good no ?:confused:

Last edited:

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
14.0 inch BB height in 8.5 inch travel setting seems a bit higher than the general design trend in the industry.

but what mostly caught my eye is the reach in the size L: 17.6 inches! that's freaking long compared to the typical 16 inch reach in a size L (303 is 16, DW DHR is 16.1, and TR450 is 16.4 i think).

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
yup, looks like they were aiming at a L/XL in one vesion. I for one see my 6 foot ass on a medium! haha. The bb height is also proportional to the head tube angle. The slacker the head angle, the lower the bottom bracket height...

Also, the shorter chainstay length is a step forward if you ask me. They havent compromised with stabability at high speeds since they've made the whole thing longer, but it now become more of a Demo kinda of geometry, fast at high speeds while still being able to move the back around when it gets tight and tecnical.

Last edited:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I'd trade my mom and GF to get that bike...HOLY SICKNESS !!!! Wow, I love it.

Anyone else notice Steve's seems to be running a COIL spring Vivid and not the air version? You'd think he'd run that on that bike if it was that good no ?:confused:
he may just prefer coil because that is what he likes, not because one is better than the other. the proof is in the pudding though, none of us will know how good that shock really is until we try it. marketing will have us believe it is the $hit though.

Dox - thanks, didn't see that chart till well after I e-speculated :thumb:

illnotsick

Monkey
Jun 3, 2009
At sea otter bryceland was testing a driver 8 swing arm on his mk3V10. Wonder if this was why? Also, bearings inside the bottom link and grease ports?! oohhhohoohohhhoohh yeah

Killerbarbies

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Slovakia
where are the bearings on the current model now? outboard on the link?
and they didnt put zirk fittings on the current V10 like their other bikes?
current model version 3 have bearings outboard of the rear triangle and front frame section and don't have zirk fittings

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yup, looks like they were aiming at a L/XL in one vesion. I for one see my 6 foot ass on a medium! haha. The bb height is also proportional to the head tube angle. The slacker the head angle, the lower the bottom bracket height...

Also, the shorter chainstay length is a step forward if you ask me. They havent compromised with stabability at high speeds since they've made the whole thing longer, but it now become more of a Demo kinda of geometry, fast at high speeds while still being able to move the back around when it gets tight and tecnical.

Yeah but with slacker head angle your weight movies backward (compared to where the wheels are), shortening the cs does the same to the bike so at some point even with drop stem, flat bars and really low headset you will encounter front wheel wash as mentioned by some riders on some frames. Geometry numbers should work with each other and not be treated as seperate numbers.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Yeah but with slacker head angle your weight movies backward (compared to where the wheels are), shortening the cs does the same to the bike so at some point even with drop stem, flat bars and really low headset you will encounter front wheel wash as mentioned by some riders on some frames. Geometry numbers should work with each other and not be treated as seperate numbers.
quoted for truth

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I like everything about it except the longer TT on the size large. I've never wished for a longer TT and this may keep me from upgrading. The medium hasn't changed so why change the large?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I like everything about it except the longer TT on the size large. I've never wished for a longer TT and this may keep me from upgrading. The medium hasn't changed so why change the large?
I though they mentioned about med being also a tad longer. Imho it gives you a better position on the bike. I'm 5'10'' and all the ms I've tried felt a bit cramped.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
hahah, the Large seems to have been built with Steve and Greg... after all "they want to make one front triangle for the both of them", considering they both measer like 6'3 and up

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I though they mentioned about med being also a tad longer. Imho it gives you a better position on the bike. I'm 5'10'' and all the ms I've tried felt a bit cramped.
Yeah, the medium is a bit cramped (spec sheet shows no change for V.4) but the new large will be longer than I like. My V.3 large is perfect or maybe a 1/4" long. I know Greg & Steve have had one offs with really long top tubes but if SC wanted to make a carbon mold like that it should have been an XL, in addition to the current L (maybe shorten the L 1/4")

Last edited: