Quantcast

New Santa Cruz Blur Carbon

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I am really thinking about making this my next frame purchase, I wonder which would be lighter, this with a XTR BB and Masterpiece post or the Yeti AS-R carbon.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I was a little disappointed with the weight...it comes in around 22.5 with full XTR build. I was hoping closer to 20

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I'm pretty sure the Superlight is still lighter. I don't feel the love for parallel links xc race applications. You don't need that much control over things for such a small amount of travel, at least not enough for the benefits to justify the added weight.

IMO

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm pretty sure the Superlight is still lighter. I don't feel the love for parallel links xc race applications. You don't need that much control over things for such a small amount of travel, at least not enough for the benefits to justify the added weight.

IMO
I'm biased 'cuz I'm sorta friends with the SC folks, but I have to say that one ride on this new bike will show you that it is in a different league from any single pivot. I hear you for purposes of descending - a short travel sp will be pretty much fine, even if it will also be more flexy - but the significantly improved pedaling/climbing performance is definitely worth a small weight trade-off to me. I went from one of the newer hecklers to a new blur LT last year and realized immediate improvement in climbing, especially bumpy/technical climbing. The difference will not be as dramatic with shorter travel but it will still be there, and any incremental increase is desirable for a high-end xc bike.

As for being disappointed in the weight, focus on the frame weight, not the complete kit. 4.2 lbs with a shock is a real figure and that is damn light, particularly given the increased strength/stiffness. You can bling/stupid it out and get under 20 if you want, or you can use fairly standard parts and have a bike for the real world that is still a featherweight. Again, I'm a little biased, so take it for what it's worth.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
The market for $2k+ frames must be growing like crazy right now. Personally, I'm not a fan of VPP frames, but it looks good for a first version.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I was a little disappointed with the weight...it comes in around 22.5 with full XTR build. I was hoping closer to 20
A few parts could be swapped to get to 20# but then you would be spending another 3k on a $5999 dollar bike.

Last edited:

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The market for $2k+ frames must be growing like crazy right now. Personally, I'm not a fan of VPP frames, but it looks good for a first version.
I don't see how this bike is a first version? SC has been developing the Blur platform for many years now and are currently on their second major iteration of VPP technology. With that said, I'm pretty confident the engineering is dialed , and with this frame being produced by Giant, the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world with some of the most hi tech carbon capabilities, I don't think the quality of construction will leave much to be desired either. Should be a great bike.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I'm biased 'cuz I'm sorta friends with the SC folks, but I have to say that one ride on this new bike will show you that it is in a different league from any single pivot. I hear you for purposes of descending - a short travel sp will be pretty much fine, even if it will also be more flexy - but the significantly improved pedaling/climbing performance is definitely worth a small weight trade-off to me. I went from one of the newer hecklers to a new blur LT last year and realized immediate improvement in climbing, especially bumpy/technical climbing. The difference will not be as dramatic with shorter travel but it will still be there, and any incremental increase is desirable for a high-end xc bike.

As for being disappointed in the weight, focus on the frame weight, not the complete kit. 4.2 lbs with a shock is a real figure and that is damn light, particularly given the increased strength/stiffness. You can bling/stupid it out and get under 20 if you want, or you can use fairly standard parts and have a bike for the real world that is still a featherweight. Again, I'm a little biased, so take it for what it's worth.
I noticed in the pics, they have their standard DT4.2/240 hub wheel build. If they threw on some superlights, I bet the bike would be 21lbs easy.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I noticed in the pics, they have their standard DT4.2/240 hub wheel build. If they threw on some superlights, I bet the bike would be 21lbs easy.
And a 260 gram saddle, not sure about the cobalt H/S or the tires. I wonder if they had pedals on when they weighed the bike.

There is two solid pounds to loose, but what is the price people are willing to pay, 6k is a lot.