Quantcast

New SC Jackal

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
ya its been on the website for awhile now, for an aluminum frame im really liking it, the site says it has 16" stays though..... im thinking that must be in the middle of the adjustments though or atleast i hope it is.:disgust1:

edit:: just found out the cs length is 15.2" slammed... much better

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2007
LA, CA
Described as having "super short chain stays", measuring in at 16". Still looks like heads and shoulders above the old Jackal. Santa cruz can make the **** out of a mountain bike, but they seem to be "run of the mill" with jumpers. Vories and Watts are nuts, so the geo of the bike doesn't exactly matter.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
MSRP $650. You have to be joking. Aren't Tonic's like $700? MTB companies never cease to amaze me with the kind of mark up they push.
Exactly, and shops always mark it up too so add more onto that. There isn't anything on this frame that makes it more special then a lot of other frames for about half the price.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
MSRP $650. You have to be joking. Aren't Tonic's like $700? MTB companies never cease to amaze me with the kind of mark up they push.
Hey, I wish there was a "huge mark-up" on a Tonic!

If you think producing a frame to this standard, at this volume, at this cost equals an exceptionally lucrative venture, you are very much mistaken.

That said, I'd like to tap your expertise. If you can think of a way to significantly cut our costs while maintaining the quality of the product...I'm certainly open to suggestions. My email is landon@tonicfab.com

That Jackal is pretty neat. Probably the smartest / best looking DO system I've seen.

-L

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Yay! Another DJ bike that looks almost exactly like every other DJ bike out there!
I absolutely loved my old style jackal. Rode great and looked badass. New one is ho hum. I think a big part of the old one is guys always said they were worried about crushing their gear on the "hump," when in reality it really wasn't much of a hump as it was a super sloping top tube.

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland
Hey, I wish there was a "huge mark-up" on a Tonic!

If you think producing a frame to this standard, at this volume, at this cost equals an exceptionally lucrative venture, you are very much mistaken.

That said, I'd like to tap your expertise. If you can think of a way to significantly cut our costs while maintaining the quality of the product...I'm certainly open to suggestions. My email is landon@tonicfab.com

That Jackal is pretty neat. Probably the smartest / best looking DO system I've seen.

-L
i think he meant it as why spend that much on a jackal when tonics are nearly the same price and much better?

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
I absolutely loved my old style jackal. Rode great and looked badass. New one is ho hum. I think a big part of the old one is guys always said they were worried about crushing their gear on the "hump," when in reality it really wasn't much of a hump as it was a super sloping top tube.
I was being sarcastic... :) I've always wanted a Jackal, but could never justify the cost of setting one up and now that I've got a stable job and can afford one, I can't find any. Go figure...

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
I completely misunderstood your point brycexlighthall.

I appologize.

Thanks,

Landon.

Last edited:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Those dropouts are beautiful. I think they might top Evil DOC's dropout/ tensioner.

Is that a pros bike? Kind of curious given that it's sporting a Chub. Those hubs are light...given the carbon mid-section. Interested to see if it's holding up to park/ trail use.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah.... I guess.

Chubs, huh? Anyone here remember Nuke Proof? I've still got a few sets of those built up... and a few broken too.
Too bad they have a freewheel.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
I was being sarcastic... :) I've always wanted a Jackal, but could never justify the cost of setting one up and now that I've got a stable job and can afford one, I can't find any. Go figure...
I was agreeing with you. :)