Quantcast

New Scott Ransom - is it trying to be too many things at once, or........

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
is it the next superbike??

http://www.scottusa.com/ransom/

Here's the scoop from some mtb related web site I've never heard of before:

The news has been out! After concentrating on lightweight cross-country chassis in 2005, Scott has shift their focus on the freeride/trail-riding segment for 2006. Their latest offering is the brand new Ransom series, which offers a versatile platform that aims to give riders an unfair advantage during epic rides. With three travel options to choose from, the Ransom series is truly a Jack of all trades, allowing riders to tackle a wide variety of terrain with the most efficient setting.

Below is some information our scoops have managed to dig up from Scotts:

Specifications:
- Race proven Scott CR 1 carbon welding process
- Lightest bike in class
- Frame: 3080 grams (6.8lbs) including rear shock
- Optimized tube shapes for better torsion stiffness and steering precision
- Ultra High Impact resistance Downtube
- SDS Dampening system for better shock absorption and less rider fatigue
- Sealed throughout cable routing

TC control travel options

The Ransom offers three different travel options at your fingertips. By utilizing Scotts’s Equalizer rear shock technology, you can pick whichever mode is most suitable for your current trail conditions.

By selecting Lockout on the handlebar-mounted lever, the rear shock is locked, allowing you to rally uphill as if on a hardtail.

If you desire “race bike” suspension for the single track, select the TC mode, activating up to 100mm of travel and you have slacker geometry as the shock sags and the compression damping opens, delivering fantastic singletrack performance.

When sending it down the steeps, place the Ransom in All travel mode to deliver 165mm of active travel and slack the geometry further, lowering your center of gravity and slowing your steering input for confidence on high speed descents.

The rest of the article is here: http://togoparts.com/articles/article.php?artid=138&pageid=1

Look at all that Carbon Fibre! :eek:

But new shock technology, a frame that can adjust from a HT to a XC bike to a bike with 165mm of rear travel at the flick of a switch - is that asking too much for a bike to do? ANd what happens if you crash and brake that travel adjuster dial - wouldn't you then be out of luck (it would probably happen to me the way I crash or fall over so damned often)?

What do you Monkeys think? Discuss. :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Oh man they were selling a whole bunch of Scott bikes at LL Bean when I was up there. They had what seemed like a kick arse deal on they're cross bikes. If I had an extra few hundred $'s laying around I would have picked on up.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Great, now there's drool on my keyboard.

I used to lust after Scott bikes when they were only available outside the US. But that thing looks too expensive even for a bike whore like me.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
I think they are now selling all of their bikes in the US.
There was one model that they are still not allowed to sell in the US.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Echo said:
Great, now there's drool on my keyboard.

I used to lust after Scott bikes when they were only available outside the US. But that thing looks too expensive even for a bike whore like me.
buy it, buuuuuyyyy itttt, buy it now!

besides we need a older ralphy wannabe

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
I saw them for the first time in Bermuda last month. BEAST of a bunch of downhill bikes.
Ha you said Bermuda and Downhill bikes in the same sentence!!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMcG said:
the article mentions something about not needing to raise or lower the seatpost at the various travel settings - that had me wondering. :think:
I just checked the LL BEan website and they dont have any of the Scott bikes they had in their store. THey were nice looking bikes!
I was trying to get my GF's father to buy one.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I've yet to ride a bike that worked great in several different travel settings without needing serious shock adjustments. I'd much rather ride a bike that felt perfect for my needs with one shock setting. Maybe I'm just old skool...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I think that with carbon fiber and all that proprietary stuff it will suck to have to work on them. *Jim making a mental note to never work at a shop that sells Scott bikes...*

badaddis

Chimp
Dec 14, 2004
ssssshhhhh, i have secrets:

Ransom LTD $6,849.99 (Fox 36 RC2) ,
Ransom 10 (AM1),
Ransom 20 (Fox 36R),
Ranaom 30 (alloy) (Fox 36 R),
Ransom 40 (alloy) (AM3) 2,499.99 i think