Quantcast

New SD/Poway Freerider/Downhiller

Well I thought I would introduce myself. I grew up biking, broke my jaw here in Poway on my first FS bike from Toys-R-Us when I was 13. ;) Got into BMX shortly after that and went through about five bikes before I found one I couldnt break. Got a Haro Supra Delux. Sweet bike and I started jumping that out at the Saber Springs jumps off of TW's which were later dozed. :( That kinda ended my dirt jumping career for the time and I started riding street. Ended up switching to mountain biking when I got my 99 Schwinn 4-Banger. That was a sweet bike and I did the Tour De Poway on it. Ended up cracking the headtube jumping it (but thats another story). Well since I broke about a year ago, I have been riding my dads Schwinn Rocket 88 on and off, but that bike just cant do anything! So...

Well I was looking for a new bike around June of this year, when I got in a car crash. Got hit head on and got bad whip lash. That ended plan to buy a Banshee Scream for the time being, as I needed money for vehicles. But the bad luck continued. My friend feel asleep with me in my truck back in the first of Sept. and crashed head first into a light pole at 65+mph. I was crushed between the dash and my hand was slashed open pretty bad. So up tell now I have not been able to ride do to exstensive ankle injuries and up to recently, I could not close my fist. But that is all behind me now, so I have started riding again.

So last week I got a new bike. An 04 Iron Horse SGS DH Pro. Got a great deal on it and the price is the only reason I will be riding right now. Already changed the seat out and pedals. It will stay this way for the time being and I will upgrade as the cash comes in and the parts break.

Well I did some minor freeriding/downhill (Twin Peaks Mtn) and mainly rode freeride on my 4-banger and BMX. So now I am looking for some people to ride with and learn some new areas to ride. I know posting ride areas is usually a no-no, so I guess I should get out there and RIDE! lol

I went up to Big Bear during summer and rode with my friend on his extra Kona Stinky. All I gotta say is... I am hooked!

Well, I hope to see some of you around. I am going to try and get out and ride tomorrow morning before work... ;)

~Colby

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
It's awesome that you are still amped on riding to spite all the bad experiences. I'm down in Chula Vista but go riding in Poway all the time, I've even been out there building when the ground gets moist. I think it is safe to say that Poway has the best DH-style trails in San Diego. I won't get into much detail cuz some of the locals might get worked up, :dead: A good way to start is by visiting the Beyond Bikes shop, they're pretty cool and will fill you in on the local riding scene. Check out our website for some pics and info on local rides and races as well..... wwW.SocAlsiXpaCK.cOM

-ALF

Sweet pics! I just found out the "area" is like down the block from my house. I need to get out there and help out with hte area. Used to work on some of the other places, but people get to cocky about where they build. Sucks when you lose a trail. Hopefully I find some others too. Poway rocks!

~Colby

p.s. I was actually in beyond bikes today and bought a new pair of shoes. When I need some more parts I will def buy there. Way cool guys and they seem to know what they are talking about.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Welcome to the neighborhood.
Sorry to hear about all your recent misfortune, but your back on your bike and thats whats important. I head out to poway from time to time and some other local areas. Feel free to hit me up with a PM and come along for a ride.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'll be trying to get back in to doing weekend rides after christmas, I'm still a little neew to the area myself but I've had time to ride Anderson and Noble several times, with these two trails being as fun as they are and so close to home (anderson is literally in my back yard) I haven't looked for other places to ride. Although I don't have any reason to look for other places to ride, I'm open to riding other places. I've actually been thinking about bringing my bike with me to work and riding poway right after work as it's closer to drive to poway than it is to drive home, I might actually have an hour or so of daylight left riding in poway.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
DwNwRdSyNtHSiS said:
I will have to hit up Alpine... I can imagine some nice rides there! :evil:
The only real trail in alpine is the california hiking and riding trail out near loveland reservoir which is really pedally, anderson is more of a fireroad with some uh, optional, detours. There's also some preserve who'se name has escaped me at the moment, that sits right in the middle of alpine that has some trails that are much more fun to walk a dog along than to ride, I am not even certain bikes are legal in the preserve. I used to go ride at night through the flat areas with a flashlight since I can't afford a real lamp and that was the only area smooth enough to dare riding at night. I think there are some other access roads in the area that one could ride on but I don't know anybody who does, then again I don't know most of the people who ride around here either.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
Hey Kornflake, have you seen a little BMX track over off of Harbison Canyon Rd. past the middle school? While driving by a few months ago I saw what looked like a small BMX circuit and was wondering if it even was a BMX track and if so is it private or public?

By the way, how is Anderson after the rains? Some friends said a couple months ago it was really sandy and sooty, have things improved or gotten worse?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've seen what looks like a bmx track and what looks like MX track in that area, but I think they are on private property, Eigil might be of more help there, he's a BMXer at heart. I know there is some BMX stuff in alpine but I haven't really searched it out.

I haven't ridden Anderson since the rain, but if it looks anything like my driveway it's got to have some pretty good ruts in some places. I'm suprised though, the soil has seemed to soak up the majority of the water so far. I'd plan on the sandy stuff to still be sandy and the sooty stuff to have mostly washed into el capitan reservoir. I know the first house on the right as you go down peutz valley rd had about 3 feet of junk covering his driveway after the first rain and another 2 feet of junk after the second rain, it looks like he's been working on getting the water to channel down under the road through the culvert but if the water is carrying a bunch of soot it will drop as the water slows to go into the culvert, then the soot will build and slow the water even more until before you know it you've got to get a front end loader to get your car out of the drive way.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The ruts on World Cup at Anderson will eat your bike. And spit out the hubs like cherry pits.

They're kind of like the monster on Tattooine into which Jabba the Hut tries to toss Luke Skywalker.

Not to mention the almost complete lack of a visible trail once you're above a walking pace. However, if poking around at mega-slow speed and "hitting moves" (ie, stumbling off ledges, rocks, and drops with no smoothness or discernable flow) is your thing, WC has a lot in store for you.

We really need to do some work.

MD

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
MikeD said:
The ruts on World Cup at Anderson will eat your bike. And spit out the hubs like cherry pits.

They're kind of like the monster on Tattooine into which Jabba the Hut tries to toss Luke Skywalker.

Not to mention the almost complete lack of a visible trail once you're above a walking pace. However, if poking around at mega-slow speed and "hitting moves" (ie, stumbling off ledges, rocks, and drops with no smoothness or discernable flow) is your thing, WC has a lot in store for you.

We really need to do some work.

MD
So are you saying it's the same as it's been for the last year or so, or has it gotten worse since the rain?

I really need to get out and ride, I haven't been up to anderson for over 2 months now:O

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
WC was the worst I've ever seen it, but I've only been on 1-2 XC rides up there in the past year, so I can't really say much. The lower trail was actuall OK, with some transverse rutting that can kill you unless you bunnyhop it or slow WAY down. First time down, I slowed...next week, when we were frozen out of Noble, we hit Anderson again and I just jumped them, knowing they were there. There are a few killer sucker-lines hidden in there, too.

MD

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
quick question...

Are there any "legal" or "MTBiker Hate" related problems still going on in anderson?

thanx

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Pretty quiet lately. The great wall of Bofus still stands, and the place is no longer overrun with DHers on the weekends...homeostatis prevails.

MD

the mtn man

Chimp
Dec 6, 2004
poway, california
Well I did some minor freeriding/downhill (Twin Peaks Mtn) and mainly rode freeride on my 4-banger and BMX. So now I am looking for some people to ride with and learn some new areas to ride. I know posting ride areas is usually a no-no said:
lol
me and mine friends have been completely remaking twin peaks
pm me if you wanna ride sometime