Quantcast

New season, new ride!

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
So finally got my new ride for this season... Was planning on building up an older frame/fork, but couldn't pass up on this deal!

2010 Mongoose Boot'r Team! Its spec'ed awesome - Boxxer Team, Vivid, E-13, Elixir CR, X0 rear, X0 shifter, and more!

One complaint so far (although I knew this going in), it is terribly bling! HAHA. White with fully matching gold accents! Way to 'cool' looking for me, but going in to this I knew that cosmetically it wasn't my cup of tea - but the feel and supposed performance characteristics were just what I wanted.

So far only one time out, just a quick hike section I did several times. Well it lives up to the pedaling/acceleration/speed descriptions it has been given, and then some. It just plain launches forward with each pedal, can't say it any other way. Honestly on the flats/sprints it pedals excellent, and I need more time to figure out the Boxxer Team, cause it definitely seems outmatched to the rest of the bike when sprinting/pedaling...

Going to weigh it tomorrow, but so far I have saved 1340 grams (almost 3 lbs) by switching the stock Kenda Excavator tires and stock tubes and stock Funn pedals out. I have experience on and like the Schwalbe Muddy Mary's so they are on, as well as Maxxis tubes. And for pedals, I love the older Xpedo pedals (so light and actually very very tough - I bought several sets on clearout for the near future).

Also changed white bar to black, white grips to black, and the seat will be switched as it is just brutal (my cheapy WTB seat is just so much better!)

Oh and the silly qr seat collar is gone HAHA. If you have not seen one its gold, and honestly its longer and thicker than my thumb! I am convinced I could use it as a soup spoon!

So will give it a good testing next weekend as we are going to either Bromont or Diablo or Plattekill, depending on the weather.

Here are some picks of my way too 'cool' and 'shiny' and 'flashy' looking new ride!

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Its just overkill. Little fittings on the brakes are gold, gold chain, gold accents on X0 der and shifter... White hubs have gold pattern on it same as frame.

I don't know - all who see it think its awesome, to me - an old dh guy with zero 'cool' factor - it seems a little much HAHAHA.

But ride is great so far. And like I told a friend, once its muddy and dirty it will look great!!

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Oh sorry. They are being sold in Canada through SportChek. Hard to find (they have far more Kyhber's and Teocali's and Black Diamond's and the like).

Found one, and paid $2400 + our stupid Canadian taxes! Doing some research, it was $3999+ in 2010!

Thats for a Boxxer Team, Vivid, Elixir CR, X0 der, X0 shifter, MTX 31 rims, E-13, Holzfellar OCT, FUNN bar/stem/pedals....

Seemed like a great deal to me!

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah - they had the IH Sunday where I got my Boot'r. SportChek Barrie, Ontario.

2008 Sunday Elite. $3200 or so. I liked it, but not a fan of the Totem (just had a bad personal experience). Plus they said they could do no better than $3200 (said it was already $400-$500 less than cost, and way less than list price of $5000+ in 2008).

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
Yep that is the exact same spot that I saw it! In the Georgian Mall. And for that age of bike it was much too expensive, that and the fact you can't get parts for the Sunday easily anymore.

What was your bad experience with the Totem if you don't mind me asking. I was actually thinking of changing my 2006 Marzocchi 888 RC2x for one.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
In 2007 I think it was - there was a problem with the 2-Step version of the Totem. Thats what I had. It just felt bad, 2 Step was faulty and never sat right. And the shop where I lived, or maybe RockShox was very hesitant and slow to do anything... Ended up trading for a Boxxer Race.