Quantcast

New seatpost by Crank Brothers

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
vital's info says its the only mechanical post thats infinitely adjustable but isnt the KS Supernatural considered "mechanical?"

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I guess I am the only one who would dislike the giant 2 inch bulge where the cable goes in. I already dislike the smaller bulges on the other adjustable seatposts since you can't get your seat all the way slammed. If I had a standard large 19" or 20" seat tube then it would make it up in the XL seat tube height.

I think the new KS LEV thats coming out looks the most promising. I am 6' and have a bike with a 17.5" seat tube. the 6" drop on the LEV with a fixed cable mounting looks awesome. I have owned 3 KS's and have had zero issues. Probably cheaper as well.
KS LEV is $395 retail. most expensive post on the market.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Um, you get a dirt jumping bike?

I used to ride XC on my Bullit. Just because it could be done, doesn't mean it's a good idea, is what I'm saying.
But you understand my point right? climbingbubba likes a bike that can be pedaled to the spots with jumps/drops and wants his seat slammed as far as possible when he gets there. (read; Blackrock.) Being a tall guy, most of the time a bike with the proper cockpit length has a really tall seat tube. With all the newer seatposts out there that are longer than 410mm, you'd think there'd be more frames with shorter seat tubes...

I'd ride my MOB everywhere if it didn't kill my back doing so.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
If you're riding around with your seat slammed on just about any bike you need to get a smaller frame. Even road bikes now are sized with ~6" of seatpost.
Smaller frame = smaller TT which will not work for me.

Um, you get a dirt jumping bike?

I used to ride XC on my Bullit. Just because it could be done, doesn't mean it's a good idea, is what I'm saying.
I ride a GT distortion which can be ridden all day on XC trails and hit jumps and drops on the way down. There are quite a few trails around here like that. Also the local DJ's are more MTB oriented so they are typically better on a 4X4 bike so I only need one bike for XC/DJ's/AM/FR and then my DH bike for everything else. For DJ/FR I like a slammed seat. If I need it up for short uphills and to brace off of on fast DH then I push the remote button on my KS post and raise it up.

But you understand my point right? climbingbubba likes a bike that can be pedaled to the spots with jumps/drops and wants his seat slammed as far as possible when he gets there. (read; Blackrock.) Being a tall guy, most of the time a bike with the proper cockpit length has a really tall seat tube. With all the newer seatposts out there that are longer than 410mm, you'd think there'd be more frames with shorter seat tubes...

I'd ride my MOB everywhere if it didn't kill my back doing so.
He pretty much summed it up. Me and him ride similar stuff and like similar bikes.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
again, statistical outlier.
I loaned a bike to a buddy so he could do a race a couple seasons ago. The bike in question had new XT cranks on it. He bolted his Mallets on, then did a practice run. He hit a rock and snapped the pedal off at the spindle.

Now, for whatever reason, Crack Bros. decided their axle didn't need an allen head on the inside for removal. Fun stuff digging out what was left of the spindle with a pair of vice grips... ;)

Edit: The pedal did have an allen head in the back. The problem arose when the wrench snapped off in it cause my bud decided to torque the **** out of the pedal...

Last edited:

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
For realz. You've had good luck with two products that are notorious for poor durability. I have tons of friends who rode CB pedals for a while but switched back to whatever they were using prior - mostly spd's.
I went from riding Times for 7 years to Mallets for the past 4. No problems to date and still on original cleats (the Times would wear out every year or so). I like the feel of the engagement of the Times but didn't like the sideways slide. And the CB has a better platform.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
No problems to date and still on original cleats
Either you ride less than 50 miles per month, or little elves are replacing the cleats while you sleep.

Personally I still use crank bros pedals on my xc hardtails because I like the clip in/out feel of them, but the overall durability and design is not stellar.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I loaned a bike to a buddy so he could do a race a couple seasons ago. The bike in question had new XT cranks on it. He bolted his Mallets on, then did a practice run. He hit a rock and snapped the pedal off at the spindle.

Now, for whatever reason, Crack Bros. decided their axle didn't need an allen head on the inside for removal. Fun stuff digging out what was left of the spindle with a pair of vice grips... ;)

Cool story bro....but I don't believe you. ;) I use an original pair of Mallet M and have seen every other generation of Mallets (minus the just released one) and they all have an allen head on the inside. :busted:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
^ yeah that was a weird comment. I have the original Mallets, and they ONLY have an allen head on the inside. no wrench flats.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
can you tell me with a straight face your reverb has never had an issue?

i warrantied mine 3 times in the first 4 months i had it.

have you used their seat posts? they work very very well. no problems on my trail bike at all with it.

My first dropper post was a joplin. It was a disaster always having to return it as the gas was leaking so the seatpost was dropping when i put my ass on the saddle and not staying down when i was out of the saddle. It went back to CB UK 3 times, I sold it and I've had to send it back twice for the guy who I sold it to. The side to side play didnt bother me but seemed to be a problem for anyone i lent my bike to. It was pretty horrendous in hindsight

I then had a KS I900 for two years. It was great it went up and down the only issue was that the cables had to be replaced frequently most of my trail riding is done in the winter in the muddiest of conditions (once the good weather comes im out on the dh bike or dirt jump bike). The cables got stiff to operate and didnt return propperly so the seat would not stay where you wanted it to. On a couple of night rides I had the lever at the top of the post freeze and the seatpost get stuck. Other than the cable problems the rest of the post was trouble free for two years. I got a new bike and it didnt fit so I took the chance to get a Reverb.

So far 4 months with the Reverb and its perfect. I've ridden it in all sort of conditions and never a bother. The hyrdo actuation just feels great and has never let me down so far. However im not expecting any trouble. In the shop where I work we've sold quite a few Reverbs ever since they've been launched and not had one come back for warranty work. The only problem I've seen is two guys who had snapped were the hose goes into the seatpost. Which is an easy fix replace the barb and give it a quick bleed. 15 mins later good as new. I can see why some people would be nervous of another hydraulic device on there bike but as far as I'm concerned it adds reliability to a system. For example how much of a disaster and how high maintaince are cable disks.

why would you bother when everyone knows CBs rep and the Reverb is so damn good. Unless its gonna be significantly cheaper than a Reverb which is highly unlikely then I cant see the point of it.

Hey look, the "Morewood" guy, and the "Evil" guy is talking about another company's bad reputation.
Instant classic.
I know theres been some issues with Morewood in the US due to distributor issues. In europe Morewood have the same rep as Turner when it comes to customer service.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I went from riding Times for 7 years to Mallets for the past 4. No problems to date and still on original cleats (the Times would wear out every year or so). I like the feel of the engagement of the Times but didn't like the sideways slide. And the CB has a better platform.
4 years on the same cleats? You realize they are made of soft brass right? That in no way adds up.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I still love my Gravity Dropper. I've never had a problem. I just take it apart once or twice a year and clean and grease it.

No love for the GD anymore?

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I still love my Gravity Dropper. I've never had a problem. I just take it apart once or twice a year and clean and grease it.

No love for the GD anymore?
same here. super reliable and easily serviced at home. my only real complaint with it is that it's a little noisy because of the slight vertical play (the 1" drop position is the worst). other than that it's been 100% trouble free for years.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Cool story bro....but I don't believe you. ;) I use an original pair of Mallet M and have seen every other generation of Mallets (minus the just released one) and they all have an allen head on the inside. :busted:
You're right actually. But, I distinctly remember having a sharp point of axle left after it snapped, and we couldn't use an allen key on it... I'll have to ask my buddy about it. I'm getting old I guess.

Either way, it's the only pedal I've ever heard of snapping like that...

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
After watching the slideshow... it is a nice looking post. I'll wait for some reviews on it's durability.. and maybe then Fox or Thomson will have something out.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
That's why I'll never buy a Ford - all those exploding Pintos, and rollin' Explorers...
Or a Toyota, because they can't, they won't and they don't, stop!
:rofl:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
That's why I'll never buy a Ford - all those exploding Pintos, and rollin' Explorers...
Or a Toyota, because they can't, they won't and they don't, stop!
:rofl:
Well, if it were all heresay, then sure, you'd be a lemming to write off an entire brand.
But what if you bought 3 Fords and they all exploded? Would you not be a fool if you bought another?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
you mean like my buddy pete, who is on his 3rd transmission in his 1999 f250? 170k miles.

don't worry, i make fun of him too :D

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Well, if it were all heresay, then sure, you'd be a lemming to write off an entire brand.
But what if you bought 3 Fords and they all exploded? Would you not be a fool if you bought another?
I think it's a lemming who writes off an entirely new product just because of some previous failures. A new Focus is not a 5 year old Focus, not to mention a '76 Pinto.

But I also think it's foolish to buy a brand new untested/ unproven anything, at least at full retail.

^^ Says the guy who has yet to pop for a dropper post b/c he's waiting for all the bugs to be worked out and the weights to come down a bit... :p

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
some of the rocky mountain boys are down in south america riding right now, just read a facebook update that said 2 brand new cb's kronolog's have broken, one in 3 days one in 4.......I for one, am not at all surprised!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
some of the rocky mountain boys are down in south america riding right now, just read a facebook update that said 2 brand new cb's kronolog's have broken, one in 3 days one in 4.......I for one, am not at all surprised!
gawddammit... I was really hoping that wouldn't happen. a new frame isn't in the books for me this year, so I was hoping that a good, solid, functioning dropper post would be. I liked the looks of the Kronolog... I'll still reserve judgement till more reports come in, but man I'm not happy to read that.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
but the seal is round and the post appears to have small notches. how's that going to work for durability and contamination?

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA...sorry, but if a "designer" came to me with and said hey why don't we just put our notchy one flat side shaft into this clearly round oil seal/wiper and call it a day I would literally beat him to death with the flat side.

Seriously, do these guys even have an engineer working for them??

Last edited:

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Any more info or rumors? Seems to hit all the marks but I'm reluctant to give up my Gravity Dropper and put trust in this new release from Crank Brothers.