Quantcast

New Seattle event...

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Hi everyone! I am coordinating an event in Seattle for a grad school project and am asking for suggestions on what type of outdoor events / races you would like to see. I am looking to do some sort of a multi-sport event.

I know the obvious choice is a DH race, but what other sports would you integrate that with?

Thanks for your help!!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Do like we have here in Bend - it's called the Pole, Pedal, Paddle. The event starts with a downhill ski, then you cross country ski, then you ride your bike down from Mt. Bachelor, run a course, and paddle down the Deschutes River. You can do it solo, or on a team.

Jun 18, 2004
Heidi said:
Do like we have here in Bend - it's called the Pole, Pedal, Paddle. The event starts with a downhill ski, then you cross country ski, then you ride your bike down from Mt. Bachelor, run a course, and paddle down the Deschutes River. You can do it solo, or on a team.
they have that in Bellingham... it's called the Sky to Sea

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
close, ski to sea. yeah, but it's already been done. (and it's fun!)

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I'n a world that would never happen I would say. DH race from Cap Hill to Ferry docks using as many steps and drops as possible (Red Bull Style). Kyak race to Alki. And long ass all out run from Alki back to Seattle center.

Jun 18, 2004
jodysbike said:
I'n a world that would never happen I would say. DH race from Cap Hill to Ferry docks using as many steps and drops as possible (Red Bull Style). Kyak race to Alki. And long ass all out run from Alki back to Seattle center.
Yeah you ride down through Freeway park then to Benyroya Hall and S.A.M. steps then up through the market and take the steps down to under the viaduct... it's fun we did it on big bikes on Thurs night...

if you added a kyak to Alki I would definately be there... even help organize it... but not until after the snow season is over...

Jun 18, 2004
I guess I will have to do my own event then... all by myself... start in the St Marks parking lot down the stairs thru the new collonade park, then down Melrose then a little climbing up to freeway park then thru downtown to Benaroya/S.A.M. then climb up to the Market then down thru the Market Stairs under the viaduct then I would need my girlfriend to wait w/a kayak and we could paddle up to Discovery Park... where I would have my truck waiting to drive her back to her car under the viaduct... I'll save that one for next summer when its warm... and snowboarding is long gone...

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Str8OutaBallard said:
Yeah you ride down through Freeway park then to Benyroya Hall and S.A.M. steps then up through the market and take the steps down to under the viaduct... it's fun we did it on big bikes on Thurs night...

if you added a kyak to Alki I would definately be there... even help organize it... but not until after the snow season is over...

I have always thought Seattle would be the sickest layout, to do a RedBull type of event, just like the one that was in Nuemberg recently.

Str8OutaBallard, how often do you do this run? Sound like fun!

Bikecrasher

Monkey
Sep 24, 2002
Tacoma, Wa
Although it's not in the Seattle area, Capital Forrest is a great area to put on a "multi-sport" event. It's a big enough area w/ enough trails to put on some sort of event that could incorporate both mountain biking and land navigation/orienteering. With Black Lake close by, you could put on some sort of kayak/canoe leg, run or road bike to the woods, then hit the trails.

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Bikecrasher said:
Although it's not in the Seattle area, Capital Forrest is a great area to put on a "multi-sport" event. It's a big enough area w/ enough trails to put on some sort of event that could incorporate both mountain biking and land navigation/orienteering. With Black Lake close by, you could put on some sort of kayak/canoe leg, run or road bike to the woods, then hit the trails.
Have you ever tried to ride from a trail in Cap to Black Lake? Or a stream that feeds to it. You had better hand the baton off to a roadie. Wait DH from the towers to pavement hand off to a road rider hand off to a kyak at the stream in little rock kyak down black lake hand off to a runner who sprits up to the capital and a big party on the governers lawn! or hand off to a sea kyak who paddles to Tacoma who passes to a runner that runs to Seattle wait that's getting to be toooo much.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Toshi said:
close, ski to sea. yeah, but it's already been done. (and it's fun!)
Yeah it's fun, but the canoe is a b*tch! We had been practicing and working out, then I jump in the canoe for the race and my aluminum seat breaks and I had to paddle 18 miles sitting on the bottom of the boat. Mt. Biking section needs a revamp too.

GrapeApe, make sure that whatever you do is fun for the athletes as well as the spectators.

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
im totally in for an urban DH-- queen ann would be amazing... even if it was an amateur/small turn out, it would still be sick to shuttle!