Quantcast

New Setup

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
So, I did a 1x9 conversion on my bike and it went great until I hit a rock. :eek:
1.jpg
I obviously need to make a few changes. I'm going to go to a 36 tooth ring from a 44 for clearance. Also need to figure out how to keep the chain on tighter and protect the chain ring. Suggestion from someone on here was a LG1+Taco, but my bike has no tabs...

Suggestions?

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
you do know thats exactly what chainguides/bash guards are designed to protect against right? dropped chains and destroyed chainrings.

BB mount lg1, done.
Yeah, which would be why I was saying I need them... Just don't know what's available for my frame.

Didn't have the $150 to get the LG1+Taco at the time, but I now see that it's necessary.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Yeah, which would be why I was saying I need them... Just don't know what's available for my frame.

Didn't have the $150 to get the LG1+Taco at the time, but I now see that it's necessary.
There are heavier but cheaper options. Even e13 had one. It's not 150 or nothing.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I rode a couple trail bikes with LG1s and I didn't like the added drag of the bottom pulley, with the new Clutch derailleurs the bottom pulley is almost overkill to keep a chain on. I'm planning on adding one of the MRP XCG's to my 1x10 setup. You can get it as a ISCG mount or BB mount and it can be used for 1x, 2x and even a triple ring.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
36 or 34 depending if you want to climb.
Chromag and e13 do really good solid rings. And e13 do do a cheap version of the lg1. Or get 2nd hand with an old school bash ring and never worry ever again. The old sgs 1 was an awesome smashem up guide.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Weight isn't a huge deal to me. I'm not a light guy and I don't ride a light bike anyway. What options were you speaking of?
Mozart is cheap here (what Darren B. rides right now)
Also this
http://www.e13components.com/product_ls1plus.html

But easiest option would be a light enduro bashguard (shaman, straitline) and that chainstain mounted tensioner from biocon (c-guide i think).

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
There are heavier but cheaper options. Even e13 had one. It's not 150 or nothing.
Whats funny is the lg1 is only like 20-30g lighter than a setup with a legitimate bashguard. I can't figure out why people think the reduced protection and bigger hassle setup is worth it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Whats funny is the lg1 is only like 20-30g lighter than a setup with a legitimate bashguard. I can't figure out why people think the reduced protection and bigger hassle setup is worth it.
If you compare lg1+ to straitline on real weights on sicklines the difference is even smaller and you don't risk hurting your bb tabs.

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
If you compare lg1+ to straitline on real weights on sicklines the difference is even smaller and you don't risk hurting your bb tabs.
I don't have tabs, got the bb mounted one. I read a review online about people liking the taco because it doesn't affect your pedaling at all if you slide on something. The one I found doesn't have the taco on there, so I haven't decided on it or a full bash guard that'll work with it.

Last edited:

valentin_84

Chimp
Sep 26, 2007
Surprise, Arizona
Ok, so I got the used LG1 and it was too damaged to use. Called the seller and they fully reimbursed me after shipping.

Now I'm at a crossroads... Do I fork out the dough for a brand new LG1+Taco AND BB bracket, or do I get a full bash guard and some type of chain retention system?

Opinions / advice, please!!!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't have tabs, got the bb mounted one. I read a review online about people liking the taco because it doesn't affect your pedaling at all if you slide on something. The one I found doesn't have the taco on there, so I haven't decided on it or a full bash guard that'll work with it.
My bash doesn't affect my pedaling too. That's a strange theory.