Quantcast

New Shimano XT brakes

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
the ones with the servo-wave levers...

Any suggestion as to how these hold up on a full-on DH bike? Currently running the old style Saints and dead happy with them. Heard great things about the new Saints but I certainly don't need the extra power/heat dissipation/modulation/whatever other benefits the four piston version is supposed to offer, and I'd like to keep my brakes as simple as possible.

Ideally I'd run an 8" front rotor and a 7" rear. I like to do long, gnarly runs with lots of braking, (think top to bottom Garbo laps, North Shore steeps, Mt 7, etc etc) but, like I say, I've never had a problem with the older Saints.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
keep the saints then?

Anyway my roommate has them on his slopestyle, I'd prefer stronger brakes for lift assisted.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have 'new' XT levers mated to the old Saint calipers. I've ridden them in Mammoth and Brian Head, UT. No complaints, though I don't know how they compare to what you have.

Edit: These are on my Blindside

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Hated them. It was either on/off, with very little modulation. Keep the Saints.
Love'em. Lots of modulation without the on/off feel.

I put xt levers on old saint calipers on my dh bike at the beginning of summer. I liked them so much I did the same thing to my hella freeride bike.

Make sure you get the reservoir full when you bleed them. They have a weird habit of changing the engagement point if you don't. They'll always work, but your engagement will just happen somewhere else after a bunch of bumping around. It's pretty odd.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Sorry, should have clarified. New bike likely in the near future, hence debating which brakes to go for. I *could* transfer the Sants to the new bike and pick something else up to sell with the current bike but, all in all, it would seem like a pretty pointless exercise.

So, 'woo, just to clarify, you're running the 2010 Calipers AND levers?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I have a set of the M775 Servo-Wave levers on the way to pair up with my M765 calipers (these are the same as the old-style Saints - M800). I've read it's a good combo and I'm looking forward to trying them.

toby

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
775 levers are good with 765 calipers.

775 levers are basically the same exact levers as the 810 Saint levers. No question on being about to hold up.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I've got the new XT's on my DH rig, and they have been fine (but I agree with what Kidwoo said about making sure the masters are topped off). However, most of the runs around here aren't too long, especially compared to Garbo length. But on the few long/steepish runs I've used them on, they have been excellent IMO. 8 incher rotors front and back.

But like other posters, I also have a set of the old Saints/XTs, and they are still my favorite brake of all time. Simple, tough, easy bleed, good modulation, and powerful. Just keep the ones you have if they're working for ya.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I use the new levers with my 10 year old 755 calipers. It made my already favorite brakes in the world better still.
This setup is the best feeling AND strongest I've ever used. [/grain of salt]

I also have a set of 800 Saints. I have zero complaints about them, aside from not having another bike on which to run them right now. :hmm:

OBB

Monkey
Sep 25, 2008
Lots of reports of the XTs suddenly losing all power, like lever pulling to the bar and nothing. On top of being horrendously noisy, this is an alarming thing to hear about brakes.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Lots of reports of the XTs suddenly losing all power, like lever pulling to the bar and nothing. On top of being horrendously noisy, this is an alarming thing to hear about brakes.
Lots of reports of people on bicycles not having a fvcking clue on how to set things up.

News at 11.

In all seriousness that does happen of you don't top them off, which is why I mentioned it. It's pretty fun though. Before you figure that out, you'll end up riding sections faster than you're used to. :D

connor

Chimp
Mar 7, 2008
Hey Rob,I've got them on my Remedy. 8in front 7in rear. Tons of power for Whistler, and quick to adjust the contact point, which I like.

I'd go for new Saints though... What you getting?..I'm shopping around too.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I currently am riding the new saints, used to have the old saints, and have spent a ton of time riding the new XTs.

They're all really good once they're setup right. My new Saints have pretty good modulation, awesome power, and once I re-bled them, they've been all I could ask for. My old Saints had a little more modulation, little less power. The XT's with the Servo-wave felt almost identical to the old Saints other than the lever pull feeling different - maybe a bit more powerful.

You're not going wrong with any of those choices.

That said, if I had to do it again... I would have bought the old style shimano levers (pre-servo wave) and mated them to the new Saint calipers. I spent a couple runs on a bike with this setup and they had better modulation than my Saint brakes do. The other big benefit is that the levers are quite a bit cheaper - and can usually be found on sale, and they are lighter and bleed a lot easier the first round. The Servo wave levers require a couple bleeds to get dialed in.

With the Shimano brakes, most people buy the caliper set and the lever set separately, so there's not the big cost to mix it up like with a Juicy/Code.

big-ted

Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Ask Timmigrant how he feels about XT brakes for DH usage.
I'll have to find a slot in my diary when I can spare the time to have such discussions with him... :P

To be fair, he also cooked his Saints.

I think I might pick up a set of these new XTs for my AM bike as the Hopes on there are now 5 years old (original generation minis). If I like them on there I can give 'em a go on the DH bike.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Lots of reports of people on bicycles not having a fvcking clue on how to set things up.

News at 11.
:D
I'd rep you but it's irrelevant at this point. :thumb:

So I have a set of LX levers and old school Saint calipers on my DHR. I've got a bubble in the rear for sure and am gonna dump some new fluid in to get rid of it and any condensation. Can I just go to the drug store and buy "mineral oil"?

Oh, and I love the feel. They just work.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Can I just go to the drug store and buy "mineral oil"?
Maybe? Everyone who's ever had mineral oil brakes always wonders this. I've never had the balls to do it. Store bought stuff just seems to be a little thicker to me.

One thing I have done is put all my old fluid into a bottle and let the sediment settle....then pull off the top with a syringe and use the oil again. That's about as extreme as I've gotten.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Can I just go to the drug store and buy "mineral oil"?
I've done it. I ran J&J unscented mineral oil in my 755s for two years.

It works fine, but it IS different than the red Shimano fluid. The only time the difference was really evident was (a) when bleeding; its like the cheap stuff was aerated before being bottled and it required several bleeds to get perfect, or (b) when outside temps dipped close to freezing, the brakes just felt sluggish. I prefer consistant brakes so when I setup the new levers I went back to the Shimano fluid.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Don't know about the new calipers (I'm running the old ones), but I'm running the XTR levers instead of the XTs, because I didn't want the servo action. Been pretty happy with them, but they could use some goodridge lines to stiffen up the feel.