Quantcast

New Shock for a Brodie Awl?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hey all, this is a question for a buddy of mine. He recently won an X-Fusion shock, and figured he'd throw it on his trail-bike, a 2005 Brodie Awl. He has a choice of which shock he can order from x-fusion.

Right now he has a 195mm/54mm shock on the bike. The options from x-fusion are either 190/51 or 200/51.

Should he go for the 190 to get the little more slack head angle? Does it matter if the stroke is shorter?

I tend to think the that the shorter shock would be best. But I'm not sure about less stroke. 3mm isn't much of a difference, but I'm still not sure. I'm also wondering about stock valving/tuning. I don't know if he has an option there, or whether he'll have to get in tuned for the bike's leverage rate. Any insight and info would be great.

Thanks.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Hey all, this is a question for a buddy of mine. He recently won an X-Fusion shock, and figured he'd throw it on his trail-bike, a 2005 Brodie Awl. He has a choice of which shock he can order from x-fusion.

Right now he has a 195mm/54mm shock on the bike. The options from x-fusion are either 190/51 or 200/51.

Should he go for the 190 to get the little more slack head angle? Does it matter if the stroke is shorter?

I tend to think the that the shorter shock would be best. But I'm not sure about less stroke. 3mm isn't much of a difference, but I'm still not sure. I'm also wondering about stock valving/tuning. I don't know if he has an option there, or whether he'll have to get in tuned for the bike's leverage rate. Any insight and info would be great.

Thanks.
I would cycle the shock to make on it now to make sure there aren't any clearance issues.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I would cycle the shock to make on it now to make sure there aren't any clearance issues.
as in take out all the air, compress the shock, measure how much it moves? I suppose that's not a bad idea.

as for replacing the bike... he seems to do pretty well on it. I don't hear him complaining either.