Quantcast

New shock for Demo 8 (i hate platform!)

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
Yea as the title says. I hate the platform on my swinger and i'm looking for something active. What do you guys suggest? Fox, Roco, Avy???, etc... Also I would like to use the ti spring that I have on it right now so I need a shock that will fit the spring. thanks guys

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Well... You could go with a DHX - it's in its 2nd year of production so most of the kinks have been worked out - all you gotta do is just dial out the pro-pedal.

...then there's the Roco which has no pedaling platform, but it's a first year production run, so it might have a few problems along the way. Standard springs (Manitou type) fit both the DHX and Roco.

...Avys are super plush but a tad on the heavy side if you are into DH racing.

...just my thoughts on that - being a Demo 8 owner as well.

Since I focus more on racing I'm going with a DHX next year for my Demo 8... the bonus with getting it, is that if I want to - I could send it to Darren at PUSH to customize it for my riding weight and style - not like a DHX isn't an amazing shock to begin with mind you...:D

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
yea i'd like an air too....but they don't make it in my size :blah: . I'll probably get the dhx to pimp out my bike and match my front end (40)

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
id go dhx for it as well. the new 06 come stock with the dhx and i have heard nothing but great things about them. actually there supposed to blow the 5th element out of the water. im thinking about getting one when i get my demo 9 cause im with you man im not a swinger fan. well good luck with your decision, but the dhx should do the 8 wonders.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I just fit a DHX 5.0 to my '05 Demo 8, and it feels way better than the Swinger. The one thing though, Specialized makes their own upper eyelet for the DHX on the 2006 bikes. What I had to do to get mine on there was to take out the bearings in the upper eyelet, put the shock in there with no bushings on, push the bushings in from the sides with the shock in place, put the bearings back in, and then bolt everything down. It will be very difficult if I ever have to take the shock out, but the DHX is awesome, and wouldn't go back to the Swinger. The Rocco seems sick too, and the Avy shocks are always awesome, but the same compatability issues will be there I'm assuming, just talk to whoever you get the shock from and ask what you need to do.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
forget the ti spring, or at least dont think of it while shopping for a new shock

you see platform shocks normally use less spring rate than normal shocks so its quite likely your new non-platform shock will be undersprung with your current ti spring.

if you can fit a piggyback avy youll find the shock body to be lighter than your swinger.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
$100 vanilla RC+$180 Push race system=Light weight custom tuned shock!
you don't need adjustments if the shock is valved for you and your style.

my 2cents

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
I'm going to cast my vote for the Avalanche. The first time you haul ass into a rockgarden with it and your bike just keeps wanting to go faster you'll understand why you bought it.