Quantcast

New Shuttle Rig.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Just picked up a 2007 ArcticCat 400 4x4. First 4x4 quad. feels pretty sluggish compared to my sport quads, but low range will rip a house down lol. Im going to build a rack to carry gear and 2 bikes on the front, and add 2 rear facing seats where the rear rack is.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
maybe you can get a hitch mount for the front and then get a rack, bam.

at sea otter there was a team shuttling with a yamaha side x side with a front hitch mount and it held 4-6 bikes i believe and everyone sat in the back. pretty rad idea.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
maybe you can get a hitch mount for the front and then get a rack, bam.

at sea otter there was a team shuttling with a yamaha side x side with a front hitch mount and it held 4-6 bikes i believe and everyone sat in the back. pretty rad idea.
Thats a good idea! Ive got a fab shop to my disposal, so a rack will be easy to create. I do Have a rear hitch so i had thought about building a little trailer but, that would just be over kill. keeping it all unitized seems like a better way to go.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Use the rear hitch to mount a foot bar for the rear seats if they are going to be rear facing. I'd hate to hear about losing someone off the back if it got rough.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Awesome shuttle rig.

Your ideas however are very bad. I have spent tons of time using a ATV as a shuttle rig, started out with your idea and quickly realized that using a rack is no good. Unless you shuttle on a very smooth road you are going to encounter issues with the rack hitting the ground, bikes hitting the ground and or trees and a obstructed view.
The second issue is having 1 or 2 other people on the ATV is really going to weigh it down.

The best option is to use a tow rope behind the ATV, with your 400 you will be able to take 2 or 3 guys up with ease. 2 guys if your shuttle trail is steep and or muddy. My current ride is a Polaris 550 4X4, it can tow 3 of us up no problem, shuttle trail is steep and muddy.

We just tie the rope/s to the rack on back, I am in the process of getting a 2'-3' bar with hooks on it to put in the hitch. That will lower the point where the weight is being pulled from and will seperate the ropes a bit.

Because you will ask, we attach the tow ropes to the bikes with a simple loop at the end of each rope. The loop is about 10" in diameter. You simply drop it onto your stem, hold it down until the ATV puts tension on it and you are good to go with both hands on your bars and if anything goes wrong the rope simply falls off. Tight turns can get a little hairy with 3 guys being towed but it is cake with 2.

Old ATV, Polaris 330 rear wheel drive, crap:

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
My buddy built this for his quad. My shuttle rig is the ugly old GMC in the back ground. Extended cab long box; it'll hold 10 riders and bikes easy. :D

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Thanks for the input guys. The rack Ive designed will keep the bikes off the ground and securely held so rough terrain wont be an issue. Also the quad has low range that is really really low(5th gear wrapped out is only like 15-20mph lol). I pulled my '73 scout with it no problem. So a couple passengers shouldnt be an issue either. I do need to place the seats far enough forward so I dont have a bunch of weight hanging behind the rear wheels.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Dude, that is going to be sick! Our shuttle roads are ****, full on 4x4 roads that no one even wants to drive their trucks up... we need a few locals with these bad boys.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Just don't let it end up like this and you'll be in good shape:

Courtesy of my brother, peedro_sandchez, with his sx-trail strattling the roll cage trying to scout out some new trails behind our house.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
Yep, thankfully neither him nor the bike were hurt, other than a set of wheels. He ran out of gas and hopped out without thinking to put it in park and rolled over the hill.