Quantcast

New smartphone: Which one is the least annoying

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I dropped my phone. Again.
Although I had a screen cover + a case on it, it broke. Again.
Which means it's the second screen I need to install in like four weeks on a approx. 5 year old Huawei. Which is old and slow and... well, you get the idea.
So I need a new phone and I have no idea what to get.

For working reasons I have an iphone14 which honestly I get along quite well with.
The thing is I hate the idea getting a new iphone for 1.5k as I don't want to spend too much on electronics.
So, what else is out there with a certain value?
I'd like to take a nice foto or two and maybe some short videos.
Else is just basic smartphone stuff.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Recently got a Samsung Galaxy S21 for work. Not the latest model but I am pretty impressed by it, looks like they can be had for less than $300

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just run what I got till it literally dies, like breaking in two or I go swimming with it. Then I get a moderately decent phone, which compared to my old one, seems like star trek future. I let the Toshis help to bring the cost down on these lesser models.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just run what I got till it literally dies, like breaking in two or I go swimming with it. Then I get a moderately decent phone, which compared to my old one, seems like star trek future. I let the Toshis help to bring the cost down on these lesser models.

But your phone isn't titanium. You miss out on the superior damping and ride quality.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have a Pixel 7 Pro, it sucks, it takes photos that look like they have been turned up to iPhone 14 levels of fakery and there's no auto flash. You can't set other camera apps to start by double tapping the lock button, the flash is in a bad spot if you need to take macros, because it uses the wide angle for macro you have to get super close and sometimes you only get half lit frames because of the flash location.

I am Going Sony next time even though they have a stupid 21/9 movie aspect ratio screen, but Sony seem to not digitally fuck with images too much, images look pretty natural and that's all that really matters to me with a phone.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You might check out the Samsung A54 5G. Its significantly cheaper than the 'flagship' phones and it has a large battery.

I have the A52 and it works. The large battery is nice.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I am considering an Iphone 12 Pro (obviously a refurbished), Samsung Galaxy S21 or eventually some chinese cellphone,but I have seen that these are also charging a premium at this point.
What does speek against a iphone12 Pro? Afaik from a hardware standpoint they are merely less attractiv as the superduper new ones.
How long are Apple products supported?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I am considering an Iphone 12 Pro (obviously a refurbished), Samsung Galaxy S21 or eventually some chinese cellphone,but I have seen that these are also charging a premium at this point.
What does speek against a iphone12 Pro? Afaik from a hardware standpoint they are merely less attractiv as the superduper new ones.
How long are Apple products supported?
Still supported for at least 2 more years per this:

The iPhone 14 and newer have satellite SOS text capability. Which might just save your life.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That would be a goddamn expensive two years.
it doesn't die after 2 years. just doesn't get the most current OS any more.

for comparison, Google isn't supporting the latest Android version on phones before 2020 release. so Apple's beating them by 2 years here as the Xs came out in 2018.

it doesn't die after 2 years. just doesn't get the most current OS any more.

for comparison, Google isn't supporting the latest Android version on phones before 2020 release. so Apple's beating them by 2 years here as the Xs came out in 2018.

Which becomes a major security issue rapidly.