Quantcast

New Sorba chapter in Western North Carolina

24 Pisgah

Chimp
Nov 10, 2005
There will be a meeting on Wednesday Nov. 16th at 7:00 in Asheville NC to pick a name and elect officers for a new SORBA chapter. It will be at the Sage Brush Steak House and Saloon 2250 Hendersonville Hwy (Hwy 25). Check out http://sorba.org This is an organization that not only advocates for mountain bikes, but holds races, builds trails, and actually has a Free Ride chapter. Asheville now has money and plans to build a free ride park at the Alexander Trail system. If you would like to join download the entry form from sorba. Where it says chapter leave it blank, write Asheville NC on the top and bring it and your membership fee to the meeting. If you can't attend the meeting do the same thing except send everything to SORBA. Questions? e-mail Ken Camp at ken@enduroadventures.com

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
great! The last time I was at Alexander was in 2002 I think, at the Cane Creek Cup race. Haven't heard anything of the place since. Can't wait to see that DS course come back to life.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
awsome glad to here that there finally doing something with alexander again. the last time i was out there it was nothing but weeds and rutted out berms and sand stone and little pebals all down the course. ohh and lets not forget the jumps were gone and you could see the blue barrals that they used.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Jeremy R said:
Which Ken?
Old school Sram/Ken?
I miss that dude. He ruled.
did dh shuttles with us on a hardtail.
Odd that you should mention his name, but no, not the same Ken. This Ken puts on the 24 Hours of Pisgah at Camp Carolina.

BUT!!! But Ken Lee(formerly of SRAM) surprisingly showed up last night too. He had moved back 3 days prior! Weird.

There was a fantastic turnout for the meeting, around 30 people. I got to meet Woody Keen, and the Hucksters are haters for calling him out. He's not a trail destroyer...he's way smarter than that. I waited til everyone aired their opinions, officers had been chosen and some ideas were shared and things quieted down.

THEN, I said these words "I'm hear to make sure all segments of MTB are represented in this club. I represent the Dark Side." I went on to introduce myself and let everyone know that DH does have it's place in the woods and that pressure on trails needs to be addressed by designating certain trails as directional, i.e. DH only. This will help to concentrate descenders into a controlled area where muli-users KNOW we are coming.

The IMBA Trail Care Crew was there and they were phenomenal! They are very knowledgeable, very useful and very excited to talk with me about how to develop our type of trails in public areas. Woody was also open to listening to me and wants to help. He's not going to go building fall line trails, but he and I do see eye to eye on LOTS of options.

I reccomend you all join the club or a SORBA club in your region. It is very prominent, they are OPEN TO IDEAS and they work hand in hand with IMBA, who I know now from personal experience are great people.:thumb:

Ken, the one who organized the meeting is also a fantastic guy and he and I are going to work on some concepts we both have and see what comes of them.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
From ken@enduroadventures.com
Pisgah Area Sorba is now officially a Sorba chapter!
Well we did it,thanks to everyone involved. John Tyrer, Vicky, and myself
attended the SORBA board of directors meeting on Saturday Nov. 19 in
Gainesville Ga. The very first order of business was for Pisgah Area Sorba
to pettion for membership. I presented all the reasons that we as a group of
involved cyclists had for wanting to become a Sorba Chapter. After my plea,
Tom Sauret the executive director also spoke on our behalf. Tom was one of
the folks who traveled to Asheville for the first meeting to explore the
possibility of an Asheville chapter. A motion from the floor was made and
seconded, a vote was taken, and it was unanimous in favor of our new
chapter. When I get the minutes I will forward them to you all, but for now
I will just cover the things that will affect our chapter. The Fat Tire
Times (the bi-monthly sorba publication) has a new article for each issue
called the Featured Trail. The Idea is for one chapter to describe one of
there favorite trails for an issue of the FTT. The editor asked for a
chapter to volunteer for the next issue with the deadline being Dec. 2nd. I
think it was Mel Brooks in The history of the world part two, that
said "It's good to be the king", I volunteered John Tryer to write it this
time. The board of directors (which includes at least one representative
from each chapter)meets 3 times a year. The default meeting place is
Gainesville but the hope is for a chapter to host the meeting so the other
chapters can see your trails, members, and issues. Again volunteers were
asked for. Well a lot of you know me, and everyone else soon will. I believe
you either step up to the plate, or you quit taking up space in the dug out.
I committed for the Pisgah Area Sorba chapter to host the BOD meeting on
August 12th. I would like to encourage anyone who has not joined yet to do
so. After Jan. 1 the membership dues will go up by $10. That means
individual will be $30, family will be $40 and so on. Also if anyone can
solicit sponsorship money for our chapter please do so. At last count our
share of membership will be $110. We only get $5 per membership even if it
is family,fat tire, corporate, benefactor or even above and beyond. I will
schedule a Dec. meeting as soon as I can find a place. Any meeting place
suggestions would be appreciated.