Quantcast

new Sox uniforms

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Lame. Will any of their hats still have the signature B on them? Or will they all have the dumb socks hanging on em? If just the socks - very very lame.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
Lame. Will any of their hats still have the signature B on them? Or will they all have the dumb socks hanging on em? If just the socks - very very lame.
I was at Fenway today and I thought they said that the hangin sox were not going to be worn on the field. I could be wrong though, there was a lot of stuff going on for "Christmas at Fenway".

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I don't care either way. But I am in favor of the change if the new merchandise will mean enough sales to generate the money to bring Texiera to Boston.

Riding

Monkey
Dec 19, 2006
Millis, MA
and the virtual waiting room can blow me.
Try again tomorrow morning when you wake up. I've heard that you can still get tickets after the dash is over. Probably release some tickets after the Christmas at Fenway is over too.

I think I'm all set since I went in mith my roommate and we got 2 sox packs(4 games/ea) of 4 tickets. And he also gets group tickets for our softball team. So I'll be going to at least 9 games this year. Time to start saving up the comp time.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Yeah, those 2 are pretty impressive:

You might have gotten new uni's. All we got was Sabathia and Burnett.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
the yankees have always been most impressive in what sorts of cash they can toss around. it's been highly effective the last few years, huh....
Yeah, the Red Sox wouldn't know anything about high payrolls, having the 2nd highest. And they came so close to the World Series this year...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Yeah, the Red Sox wouldn't know anything about high payrolls, having the 2nd highest. And they came so close to the World Series this year...
do you you realize you will lose this argument? and besides, the Sox were 4th.

the difference between the two teams is pretty massive when that delta is ~$76MM...that's the entire payroll of almost half of MLB teams.

yeah, the sox and yankees spending is practically the same. :nopity:

i can only imagine that 2009 will be even more lopsided, w/ the CC and Burnett deals, and the sox finally free of Manny's albatross-like paycheck.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/92655-yankee-signings-reek-of-desperation

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
phillies.........................................................................................................will suck in 09.

eternally optimistic fan that i am.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
As far as the rest of the world, everybody "used" to have sympathy for Boston fans. Viewing them as the punky little brother always getting picked on by the Yankee meanies. Now they have won a few championships, people view the punky little brother now all grown up, and currently just as obnoxious and pathetic as a Yankee fan.

Bandwagon fans that come out of the woodwork when they're team is winning because they spent a summer at their Aunts place back east, is the worst kind....

i'm just glad it's not culturally acceptable to wear super hero garb whenever a blockbuster comic book movie comes out. You'd have a family of Wolverine's chirping at a band of Supermans....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
As far as the rest of the world, everybody "used" to have sympathy for Boston fans. Viewing them as the punky little brother always getting picked on by the Yankee meanies. Now they have won a few championships, people view the punky little brother now all grown up, and currently just as obnoxious and pathetic as a Yankee fan.

Bandwagon fans that come out of the woodwork when they're team is winning because they spent a summer at their Aunts place back east, is the worst kind....

i'm just glad it's not culturally acceptable to wear super hero garb whenever a blockbuster comic book movie comes out. You'd have a family of Wolverine's chirping at a band of Supermans....
I'll agree that fair weather fans suck, but you can't go lump every Red Sox fan into that category because the Sox have done pretty well of late. Personally, I've been pulling for them since I was about 7. I'd imagine it's similar for at least a decent proportion of Sox fans on here.

The Yankees shouldn't expect Sabathia to put up the kind of numbers that he did last year, but from the amount that they're paying him, it looks like they are. Once again, the Yankees seem to be trying to patch up holes in their organization by stuffing huge wads of cash in them. Admittedly they have done a better job of developing young talent than in some points in the past, but I don't expect them to quite compete with the Rays and Sox again this year.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I'll agree that fair weather fans suck, but you can't go lump every Red Sox fan into that category because the Sox have done pretty well of late. Personally, I've been pulling for them since I was about 7. I'd imagine it's similar for at least a decent proportion of Sox fans on here.
Whatever, do you live or have you ever lived in Mass? If so, it makes a bit of sense to have a sentimentality. Otherwise you're just looking for something to blow your hard earned cash on, and it's silly.

i mean free country and all, but still...

The shop where i work is right next to Safeco (Mariners) and i've actually taken a buddy from Mass to a Boston/Seattle game back in 01. There was a spattering of Sox jerseys around representing, but now when i drive by when the Sox are playing there are Sox jerseys everywhere. C'mon.... where were all these people in 01, and how many of the new people claim they are a part of Red Sox Nation since they were 7... And the whole notion of being a "nation" is another reason why it now sux to be a sox fan imo.

It's pretty cheeseball really, but only a little bit more than someone taking the time to complain about it.:imstupid:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

The Yankees shouldn't expect Sabathia to put up the kind of numbers that he did last year, but from the amount that they're paying him, it looks like they are. Once again, the Yankees seem to be trying to patch up holes in their organization by stuffing huge wads of cash in them. Admittedly they have done a better job of developing young talent than in some points in the past, but I don't expect them to quite compete with the Rays and Sox again this year.
I thought a bit about the pitching staff in the last WS run.

Cone and Wells I believe were not considered top notch free agents, but obviously they had a lot left in the tank. Petitte and Rivera were from the farm system, and the 4th pitcher, whether was Key or El Duque, was acquired from outside of the team.

Since then, the staff has not been very consistent, and the results are obvious. While getting good talent helps, even if we have to throw $$$ at them, I wonder if something else is required, like better coaching, or was just Cone/Wells/Pettite a magical combination.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so i just read that the yankees signed Teixiera (sp?)...they now have the 4 highest paid baseball players in the world (along w/ Gay-rod, Jeter and CC).

yep, it's an even playing field...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Honestly, since I have been railing against overpriced players in all professional sports, it would be funny if Steinbrenner had invested his money with Bernie Madoff.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
beat them. salaries mean just about jack ****.
hey jeenyus, here's a question for you.

True or False:

large salaries usually have an all-star attached to them.

way to rely on yr farm team and scouting...why bother doing that when you can just buy whatever player you want?

:plthumbsdown::greedy::twitch::disgust::disgust1:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
hey jeenyus, here's a question for you.

True or False:

large salaries usually have an all-star attached to them.

way to rely on farm team and scouting...why bother doing that when you can just buy whatever player you want?

:plthumbsdown::greedy::twitch::disgust::disgust1:
and boston's entire team is from the farm system?

it still comes down to one team winning and one team losing. do you realize that the amount of money a player is payed definitely does NOT equate to how good he will function on a team? the yankee's just spend the big bucks because they have em. that's how it works all throughout sports. you just hate for the sake of hating. :plthumbsdown:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
you don't know much about baseball, or sports in general, do you?
i'd played baseball my entire life up until two years ago. and during that time, it was my life. state tournaments, regional tournaments, playing fall and spring, camps, etc...

it doesn't matter how good you are individually if you can't win as a team.