Quantcast

New Standards Brainstorm

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So here's a place where you can suggest new standards.

I just measured from the center of my tire to the center of my crankarms, and on the non-drive side I get 3 and 1/16th, while on the drive side, I get 3.25". I can't help but think my bike would be a lot stronger if I could make it equal and not increase the Q-factor. I was thinking like some sort of new crank-arm standard to push the chainline in closer to the bike, which would probably work with boost because of magnets, then we could upgrade to more asymmetrical crank arms, which I think makes a lot of sense. Hopefully this would require at least new cranks, BB, front derailleur if you use one, and chainrings.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I feel that too much time that could be spent xtreme mtn bking is spent dealing with tyre pressures.

lets just have solid tyres in a nice hard wearing compound.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The Golden Standard is that all new standards shall differ from previous standards by no more than 3% of nominal size, but shall ensure zero degree of reverse or forwards compatibility.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Asymmetric tires to counter Coriolis Effect?

Fuck yeah.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The thread size for mounting pedals on cranks has not change for years now, it should go metric!
This is actually a really good idea. After people have spent $600 on new carbon cranks and $150 pedals, this could be a real boon to the industry to help component manufacturers.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This is actually a really good idea. After people have spent $600 on new carbon cranks and $150 pedals, this could be a real boon to the industry to help component manufacturers.
Preferably, make the new pedals thread inferior to the status quo so an improved revision can be brought to market in T+2years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Preferably, make the new pedals thread inferior to the status quo so an improved revision can be brought to market in T+2years.
Standard thread pitch, then a few years later, metric. God the possibilities are endless.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Standard thread pitch, then a few years later, metric. God the possibilities are endless.
Spindle+ pedals would ideally include a new SPD/retention system that is incompatible with current cleats AND requires a wider mounting pattern than current clipless shoes allow, requiring the purchase of new shoes. Spindle+ BOOST reverts to standard cleat mounting.

Cliff Racer

Chimp
Sep 21, 2012
Spindle+ cleats would initially be made out of cheese. Progressive non-backward compatible improvements would see them progress to spam, balsa wood, brass, then steel. Blame users not following the acceptable use guidelines for the failure of each upgrade. Shoes should have two, three, five, and then two slots for the cleats.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Integrated dropper standard, so when the dropper shits the bed, you can't even slap a regular post in there. 75 gram weight reduction!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Metric tire widths
Metric wheel sizes.

Result is 4 methods of compatibility for metric/imperial wheel sizes and metric/imperial tire widths. NO cross compatibility either.

And next up will be imperial hub standards. Because fuck you.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Left handed threads on all bolts except the non-drive side crank which will move to right handed threads.

Buttress threaded fasteners.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Replace all socket cap hardware with JIS hardware.

Not Phillips head, JIS. So if anyone ever tries to use a Phillips head screwdriver, it will round out immediately. There is NO better way than this subtle form of terrorism to make people buy new and needlessly updated crap.

The standards gestapo are going after your tools next...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
New hub standard with bearings pressed into the frame. Free hub and rotor mount on the outside of the stays. New spline pattern every 6 months.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Mid boost hubs, for those riding situations when the boost hub is just a little too wide.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Integrated dropper standard, so when the dropper shits the bed, you can't even slap a regular post in there. 75 gram weight reduction!
I see where you are going with this. It's 2016, I will predict before the end of the decade this will happen.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Overdrive 1.5

More overdrive'd than OD1 but less overdrive'd than OD2.
So a bit underdrive but still overdrive.