Quantcast

New stem - standard or wide front clamp?

Which stem?

• Kore Repute - cheaper, lighter, "conservative" design, 40mm front clamp (standard)

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Spank Spike Race - more expensive, heavier, flashy design, 55mm front clamp (wide)

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I want to change a stem on my bike.
I've narrowed selection to two products, both 35mm long:

1. Kore Repute - cheaper, lighter, "conservative" design, 40mm front clamp (standard)
2. Spank Spike Race - more expensive, heavier, flashy design, 55mm front clamp (wide)

The bar to go with is Easton Havoc 750 Carbon.
I weigh 60kg (135lbs). I don't huck.

What would you choose?

(x-post from MTBR)

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think it's totally up to you, with one reservation. Are you certain the 55mm width will not interfere with the bend of the bar? I've had a previous experience where my handlebar tapered at the same area that the wide-mount stem clamped. It resulted in a crappy interface and I had to use shims to make it fit. The stem I used was two piece (two separate clamps) so I wouldn't have had the same problem if it were solid through, but if the wide stem might hit where your carbon starts to bend up, it could be a dealbreaker.

Otherwise, the concept of carbon bars is A) lightweight, and B) added dampening/flex. A wider stem could reduce that vibration damping.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I have to check my h-bar for bends. But, it 19mm rise, so, bends are not "sharp"

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My old style Marzocchi stem is 55mm wide on my Easton Havoc DH 750 bars.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I personally like the look of the kore stem better, and its cheaper, and its lighter.

I've had 3 or 4 pairs of Kore bars and one of their stems on my girls bike, no issues.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Otherwise, the concept of carbon bars is A) lightweight, and B) added dampening/flex. A wider stem could reduce that vibration damping.
Aren't you an engineer? For shame; I'm watching you! If you so much as use the term fitment incorrectly, I'm issuing a red card.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Aren't you an engineer? For shame; I'm watching you! If you so much as use the term fitment incorrectly, I'm issuing a red card.
nope, not an engineer.

I thought it was dampening for vibration, and damping for shocks, but I see that's wrong. I guess the high priced carbon bar will help keep the ladies damper too though.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
At 60kg, I'd say you'd want more flex from the bar, not less. Not saying use a bit of rubber, just staying any new bar and stem combo will be stiff enough, some vibration damping and give might be more beneficial. Theoretically speaking. I doubt at 60kg you could notice.