Quantcast

New stuff is fun

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Every now and then, you just need to buy yourself some new toys.

Last week, some scumbag stole my sunglasses out of my truck. I've always wanted some sunglasses with interchangeable lenses, so after doing some research, I found these bad boys at REI. They came with a polarized brown lens, as well as orange, yellow and clear lenses. I now look way too cool for school.

While I was there, I wandered over to the hydration pack area, and over in a corner on a clearance rack was a bunch of Camelbak HAWGs on sale for $59. I've gotten sick and tired of trying to stuff all my gear in my MULE, so I decided I couldn't pass up this deal. I didn't have the cash at the time (3 days ago), so I went back yesterday and picked up a black/grey one for myself and a grey/red one for a ridding buddy who needs a new pack.

New toys are cool :cool:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
That seems like a pretty good deal for the HAWG, though I haven't been in the market for one in awhile. Good shopping!

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Heidi said:
That seems like a pretty good deal for the HAWG, though I haven't been in the market for one in awhile. Good shopping!
It was last year's model, regular price $100. I like the new design of this year's model, but for $60 I couldn't pass it up.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
douglas said:
dang that hawg looks almost big enough to fit a spare bike in
Its actually not *that* big :), but it definitely holds much more than the MULE. The MULE has about 540 cu/in and the HAWG has a little more than 900.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I paid $65 for an 06 Mule, but I love the waterproof iPod/camera pocket. Seems like less room than my Hydrapak though...

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stinkyboy said:
I paid $65 for an 06 Mule, but I love the waterproof iPod/camera pocket. Seems like less room than my Hydrapak though...
When I bought my Mule, it looked like it had enough room, but once you fill up the bladder, there's really not much. I just got sick of trying to decide what to leave at home. Shell or fleece? Fleece or camera? Camera or full bladder?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
pixelninja said:
When I bought my Mule, it looked like it had enough room, but once you fill up the bladder, there's really not much. I just got sick of trying to decide what to leave at home. Shell or fleece? Fleece or camera? Camera or full bladder?
I'm with ya. It looked as big as my crusty 100 Oz. Hydrapak. But at least it's ventilated and has D rings.

:rolleyes:

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I think the camebak I have is a MULE as well, not too sure. Anyhoo, it's not very big. I used to carry all my tools + camera in there but I never used the camera and if I ever broke the damn thing it would take me months to afford a new one. Not worth th risk.

What I started doing, to accomodate for rides where I needed to bring more tools or a shell was get one of those under the saddle bags for tools, have two full water bottles on the bike, and only fill up the bladder half-way giving me much more room to work with in the actual camebak.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
pixelninja said:
Its actually not *that* big :), but it definitely holds much more than the MULE. The MULE has about 540 cu/in and the HAWG has a little more than 900.

too big for my taste......I use the rouge which has 200 cu/in

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
Well, I decided those sunglasses weren't for me. They just didn't fit my face. They sat too low and were angled such that when I was riding, half of my field of view was *over* the top of the frame. No good. Took em back and simply replaced my old sunglasses. No interchangeable lenses, but a waaaaaay better fit.