Quantcast

new SWD Racing 6-gun

legend_killer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
C-town, NC
The all-new 6-Gun frame is ready to rock! Our completely-new short-travel design for 2006 has been
dubbed the 6-Gun and is now ready to hit the trail. On the heels of our very successful and proven Crazy 8 DH
frame is the all-new 2006 6-Gun design. The 6-Gun is intended for everything from Dirt Jumping, Mountain
Cross, Urban Assault rides and even Super D. The frame can be built with 4-6" of rear travel, depending on the
riders preference.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Hmm, 4"-6" travel on what looks like a 1.5" stroke shock. That doesn't make for a good time. Concentric pivot point makes for a crappy pedaler too.

Bummer, I was really looking forward to this bike.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
BigMike said:
I love the e-speculation based off two pictures :D
Normally I'd agree, but look at that swingarm dude. Think of the bending stress it has to deal with, and where it's concentrated at that single weld near the shock. That's just asking for breakage.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
thaflyinfatman said:
Normally I'd agree, but look at that swingarm dude. Think of the bending stress it has to deal with, and where it's concentrated at that single weld near the shock. That's just asking for breakage.

Agreed on all accounts. The fix is an easy brace job on the swing arm. It seems tough to to make a crappy bike these days, you have 20 years of other people's past mistakes and successes to look at...

legend_killer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
C-town, NC
well after talking to steve about the 6-gun and the one in the pic is a prototype for another company (Califas Bike Co.) the standard 6-Gun will feature a low-pivot placement, be able to run a front derailleur if a person wants to and have 6" of rear travel. the SWD version will also be quite a bit lighter. as soon as I get new pics I'll post 'em

JT

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
legend_killer said:
well after talking to steve about the 6-gun and the one in the pic is a prototype for another company (Califas Bike Co.) the standard 6-Gun will feature a low-pivot placement, be able to run a front derailleur if a person wants to and have 6" of rear travel. the SWD version will also be quite a bit lighter. as soon as I get new pics I'll post 'em

JT

Now I'm confused. So are you saying that isn't a SWD at all that you posted?

legend_killer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
C-town, NC
this is a e-mail I got from Steve explaining the difference bettewn the SWD 6-Gun and the Califas "6-Gun"

Hello from SWD Bikes! Thanks for your interest in our real-hand-built SWD Bikes. We have literally been SWAMPED with emails requesting info on the all-new 2006 6-Gun since releasing a few photos of a version of the bike and having our annual year-end party and demo-day last weekend. At the party we had a PROTOTYPE VERSION of our SWD 6-Gun frame that we did for Califas Bikes, www.califasbikeco.com and the photos of the bike on our website are of THAT bike, just to show the basic layout and lines of the frame. Califas has not yet named their version of the bike and manufacturing time-lines have not yet been set with SWD Racing as to when they will want to have the first batch of their design completed? The differences between OUR own SWD 6-Gun and the version that Califas Bikes wanted are as follows. The Califas version does NOT have 6" of rear-travel and runs a 6.5" X 1.5" stroke shock. The Califas version has between 4" of travel, to 4.5" of rear travel in the longest chainstay setting, for a max leverage-ratio of 3-to-1. The Califas version uses Brooklyn Machine Works adjustable CS dropouts. Our SWD 6-Gun will use a 7" X 2.25" stroke shock and get 6" of rear-travel. This makes the leverage-ratio 2.7-to-1. The most important difference however, is that the Califas version is a bottom-bracket-pivot bike and runs a Profile-style setup that runs two huge ENDURO bearings that ride on each side of the BB shell and the bike can be run as a single-speed. The Califas version pictured on our website and on their website, is the same bike of course and is running the single-speed set-up and a Diety Cranks, Profile 6.875" spindle set-up. Our SWD 6-Gun will be a Low-Pivot bike. The pivot-placement will be about half-the-distance up the downtube than where we place the pivot on our National Championship winning Crazy 8 DH frame. The amounts of rear-travel, intended-use and desired rear-axle-path-curvature are the obvious reasons for the differences. Our SWD 6-Gun will also be able to run a front derailleur and can be built with either our standard 12mm thru-axle, or with horizontal drop-outs. Lastly, due to our 6-Gun being a low-pivot design and the Califas bike being a BB-pivot design, the swingarm layout will be slightly different. The Califas bike has a stepped-in, machined drive-side to the swingarm, to bring the chainline in more, due to the pivot spacing being wider. The angle between the short-front-sections of the swingarm and the long-sections will be different on our SWD 6-Gun. Both designs feature a massive, in bike-tubing terms, .095 wall thick, vertical cross-member behind the point on the swingarm that also acts as the pillow for the lower shock mounts. This is the same type of design we have used successfully for the past 4 years on our podium-proven Crazy 8 DH frame. By now, its hard to argue with our results at the highest level! In 2005 we have the #4 U.S. Pro womens DHer - Melissa Miller, (every NORBA National in the top-10!), Whistler Joyride Huckfest Pro podium finisher - Justin Frey, who lived and rode all summer in Whistler "sending-it" as he says everyday without a single problem! These are just a few of the riders we had who traveled the entire NORBA tour this summer and those who were there, know of all the podiums! Again, thanks for all the support! Steve - SWD Bikes.

Steve DeLay
www.swdracing.com