Quantcast

New SWD Racing frame: 216 DH

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Got an email from Steve with pictures of the new SWD Racing frame, the 216 DH. 4130 chromoly tubing hand built in NorCal. Custom geo if you desire, is a really nice touch for us super tall guys.

Bike looks pretty good and the pricing is unreal. Steve has also answered so many of my questions.

I'm about 95% sure I'll be ordering one fairly soon.

Can anyone tell me if it is falling or rising rate design?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
hmmm, basically a big 6gun. what is he selling them for? I'd have got one had they been out when I was buying.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I just got those too!
This thing is absolutely sick. I am about a // this close to buying this and a 6 gun! Buy two and get an even better deal.
I can have two of these for what my Nicoali frame cost me :(
Lifetime warranty on any frame issue and free lifetime warranty on bearings...can you beat that? Plus steve seems to be a great guy, is at all his riders races and very great even when bashing him with questions.

Man what a great thing this guy has going!

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
steve is super cool. I'd get your order in now though. once race season really starts he is difficult to get ahold of.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
The old one had an interrupted seat tube, different seat tube angle, higher BB, different shock placement...

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
that is a good looking frame. how progressive are the dhx air's? might help with the fallin rate, though i doubt it would be much of an issue.

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I am prolly in the middle on this one?
While I think the 07 dhx air is good and has pretty damn good bottoming resistance (that can be regulated) I am not sure how it would do with a 3:1 leverage ratio and 8.5 inches of travel.

I have one on my ufo st (single pivot) and at 7.4 inches of travel I have the dhx air pumped to 275 and bottom out at 150 with the knob turned to the second line. The shock hardly ever bottoms and feels really plush but somehow I cannot get the mid stroke not to blast right through? If I turn the compression adjuster to + then it feels better but it loses small bump sesitivity.

Also, it could be I am just an idiot on setting up shocks and don't know my ass from the rebound knob. Maybe the air would work fine on the 216!

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I spy with my little eye... MY NEW BIKE! I checked out the geo and it's perfect for me. A low BB with a slightly steeper HA than the norm. Plus, it's 9 lbs.!:monkeydance: :monkeydance:

Dreyzar

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
Santa Cruz
I will be ordering one of these. I rode a prototype a while back, felt great. Spot on.
Steve's been working at the single pivot thing for quite a while now. He's got it pretty dialed.
I'm especially excited about the full seat tube. Thats the only thing about the Crazy8 that I am less than stoked about.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
the "medium forward pivot" design is very good as far as small bumb sensitivity. no noticable pedal kick or brake jack. not much pedal bob either

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Can explain the reasoning? I'm curious as to how it works.
for a simple, non linkage driven single pivot:

draw a line along the shock length from mount to mount.

now draw a line from the main pivot to the shock mount on the swingarm.

the angle between these lines and how they change determines for the most part (there is more to it as the rear wheel moves in an arc, but...), how the rate changes.

If the lines form an acute angle and move toward 90* as the suspension compresses, this would suggest a progressive rate.

it the angle moves away from 90* toward a larger angle, this suggests a falling rate.

this frame looks like it would hit 90* somewhere at 1/3 to 1/2 of the travel (progressive in this part of travel) and then the angle would get larger until bottom out (falling rate in the later half to 2/3 of the travel).

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
^^ beat me to it.

the "medium forward pivot" design is very good as far as small bumb sensitivity. no noticable pedal kick or brake jack. not much pedal bob either
no pedal feedback or brake jack?? what medium forward sp dh bike did you ride??:shocked:

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
I beleive it is 9 with shock! It is pretty easy to get these bikes down to 38-39lbs full bike and still be really tough for DH racing. I would guess 40-42 for the one pictured.
And correct me if I am wrong please, but why does one care about pedal bob on a DH bike? I am just learning a lot of this stuff and maybe I am missing something but is pedal bob something that could lead to a poor performing DH bike...?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I beleive it is 9 with shock! It is pretty easy to get these bikes down to 38-39lbs full bike and still be really tough for DH racing. I would guess 40-42 for the one pictured.
And correct me if I am wrong please, but why does one care about pedal bob on a DH bike? I am just learning a lot of this stuff and maybe I am missing something but is pedal bob something that could lead to a poor performing DH bike...?
only if you want to pedal after braking, or coming out of corners, or in wide open sections, or any other section of the course you might like to pedal on. watch cedric, that guy pedals everything.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I have seen them in action at the local races Steve and the Team were at. Top 10 from every rider. Top 5 by most. These bikes are pretty damn serious.

If there is any problem EVER, Steve is there to help resolve it. Great company.

www.swdracing.com

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
only if you want to pedal after braking, or coming out of corners, or in wide open sections, or any other section of the course you might like to pedal on. watch cedric, that guy pedals everything.
True, cedric does pedal everything. Guy is amazing to watch ride DH and pretty much everything else too!
like i said, I'm a noob on a lot of this stuff so forgive me if i say something stuuuuupid :)
I just don't see how this new frame could have the WORST pedal bob of any bike ever...? I really don't know though. Have never ridden one :twitch:

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
True, cedric does pedal everything. Guy is amazing to watch ride DH and pretty much everything else too!
like i said, I'm a noob on a lot of this stuff so forgive me if i say something stuuuuupid :)
I just don't see how this new frame could have the WORST pedal bob of any bike ever...? I really don't know though. Have never ridden one :twitch:
You do NOT want pedal bob in any bike. Ever. There is no way this frame will have anything near "worst pedal bob ever" awards though. Those honors go to to the Kona stinky 9. Sprints like a horse with no legs, no head, and aids.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
I beleive it is 9 with shock!

sorry man but no way, i actually dont think its 9 w/o shock either, and if it were, it either would be quite flexy, or very prone to dinging.

look in my "slickest of the garage frames" thread, those frames i would say have a lot more evolution behind them and they are around the 11lbs mark, to get any significantly lighter, youd have to use less than 1mm wall thickness in the tubes, one nasty tumble on rocks and youll see why thats no good idea. the swd probably is lighter than that other steel frame, less gussets and all, but 9lbs i think would be too much, just to put that in perspective, an m3 weighs 9,2 w/o shock.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
an m3 isn't the best frame to compare to with all those linkages... an orange 224 is 9lbs with shox... but 9lbs with or with out shox for this frame doesn't sound right.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
The new SWD bike is around 12#, not 9. A good friend of mine is one of Steve's semi-pro riders, and he is on the new design. The bike shown in the photo belongs to Rick, another local rider. The guys on the new design seem to like it better than the old one. Steve's bikes are what they are, affordable alternatives to pricier dh bikes. He wanted to build a bike that more kids could afford and thus be able to get into the sport. I don't think anyone would call then innovative, but they get the job done.